Lodoss War...

Akunin

First Post
I'd suggest treating it as a curse, with the DM determining the means by which it can be lifted (personal sacrifice, strength of will, etc). For game mechanics, why not just use the Rage ability of the Badger in the MM as a base?

My suggestion:

-----
Hyrui Spirit: The character is posessed with a spirit of rage. When placed in a situation that threatens his life or the lives of loved ones, the character enters a berserk rage the following round, gaining +4 to Strength and Constitution, and -2 to AC. When enraged, the berserker may continue to fight until reaching -10 Hit Points, at which point he will drop dead.

The berserker will attack the source of the threat with reckless abandon, attempting to close with the target and engage in hand to hand or melee combat. The character cannot cast spells or make use of any non-continually functioning magic items (he would gain the benefits of a +2 sword, Boots of Leaping, or Bracers of Dexterity, but could not activate the Haste effect from a pair of Boots of Speed). He may not use any WIS, CHA, or INT-based skills, and may only use STR, DEX, or CON skills related to engaging the enemy (he could, for example, make a jump check to cross a gorge to reach his foe, or a climb check to scale a wall).

If the source of the threat is incapacitated (reduced to 0 HP or less), the berserker may make a Will save (DC 20). The berserker receives a +1 bonus to this saving throw for each round that has passed since the rage began. If he fails the roll, he seeks out the next-nearest PC or NPC as a target, and the rage continues (the bonus to the saving throw returns to +0 and must accumulate anew).

If a berserker is confronted by a loved one or ally, that character may make a Diplomacy skill check at DC 15. Success on this roll grants the berserker an opportunity to make a new saving throw, with an additional bonus of +1 for each 3 points by which the Diplomacy check was passed (minimum bonus of +1).

After leaving the berserk state, the character is considered to be Exhausted. His Strength and Constitution return to normal, and any additional hit points gained by the increase in CON are lost. If this results in the character's hit points being reduced below 0, he is considered to be stabilized. If his hit points are reduced to -10 or below, he dies as he leaves the rage.

Berserkers have a difficult time understanding emotions, and maintain a cold, emotionless presence. This gives them a -4 penalty to all CHA and CHA-based skill checks.
-----

It's a bit long, and the wording can be cleaned up (needs to have a note about how DMs can introduce the curse, and how PCs can work to have it temoved), but I think it's a fairly accurate conversion.

Akunin

First Post
I wouldn't give Parn Paladin levels, either. He's not devoted to a deity so much as he is his kingdom and the ideals of nobility and chivalry.

Check out the "Knight Protector of the Great Kingdom" PrC in Sword and Fist.

I'd take that class as a base, replace the Ride skill requirement with ranks in Diplomacy, and the Mounted Combat feat requirement with Iron Will. Then, remove the free Iron Will feat at 2nd level, and give the class the Paladin's Divine Grace at 4th level.

Last edited:

Akunin

First Post
I wavered back and forth on the two DCs in the description, trying to decide what good values were. I based the Will save on a mid-level PC having about a +5 or +6 Will save bonus, berserking for 4 - 5 rounds before defearing their foe. That gives about a 50% chance to break the berserk state. The Diplomacy check is based on a mid-level PC I thought up with 10 ranks in the skill, a 14 CHA, and a synergy bonus, for a total of +14 to the roll. Taking 10 on the ckeck lets him beat the DC by 9, for a +3 to the Berserker's save (in addition to the normal bonus).

Do those numbers look right? Should something be increased or decreased.

My initial thought was to have the Diplomacy check give a +1 for every 2 points by which the DC was beat, and having it not stack with the Berserker's own +1 / round bonus (it's a separate saving throw, altogether).

DMs could also award circumstance bonuses if certain characters attempt to break the berserk rage. For example, Orson's unspoken feelings for Shiris could give her a +2 to bring him out of a rage, or a sibling or parent talking down a berserker would get a bonus.

The penalties to the template are potentially severe (but the CHA penalty is easily avoided if you're playing a non-social character, anyway), but the benefits are very potent, especially at high levels. Any suggestions on a +ECL for the template?

Deedlit

First Post
I would say +1 or +2 at best. At lower levels, the penalties really hurt, most berserkers have will as one of their bad saves, The -4 to charisma is a big drop-off, and no matter how good the will save, natural 1s really hurt you.

Deedlit

First Post
As I don't see any reason to change the human or dwarven race, gnomes don't exist on lodoss, elves are done, and I highly doubt half-orcs are on lodoss.(Correct me if wrong) All that's left are meadow sprites and half-elves. I think lodoss half-elves should get a +1 to some other skill instead of search(Not sure what though, as they don't seem to be as nature-oriented as pure elves, so the pure elven racial bonuses to wilderness lore and animal empathy don't make sense), and of course, replace the standard PHB Half-elf lifespan with 2x that of human.

Deedlit

First Post
Well, since no one seems to have any more ideas on races, now we must go on to classes. Which classes should exist in Lodoss? I am thinking Shaman, Sorcerer(Not Wizard, as the Lodoss arcane spellcasters cast many spells a day with not much variety of spells, but very spontaneously), Cleric, Fighter, Bard and Rogue(Called thief for obvious reasons) are definite. Monks and Wizards should not be in it. Druids, Rangers, and Barbarians I am not sure of. As for Knights, I am not sure whether to represent them as Paladin, OA samurai, or some sort of 20-level prestige class, though I am thinking the latter.

Anime Kidd

Explorer
Paladins should be thrown out. I don't think there was a character in Lodoss that represents the class. King Fahn and King Kashue didn't use any sort of magic or special gifts. It should be replaced with a Knight class, with the first few levels representing being a squire.
And the Blackguard PrC must be redone to work in Lodoss as well, cause Beld sure didn't have a fiendish familiar, unless you count Narse. :p

I think Rangers, Druids, and Monks can be worked into Lodoss. Especially if you consider using the lands of Crystania. Rangers could be, but without spellcasting or go with the Woodsman class from Wheel of Time.

Akunin

First Post
I think the Shaman is a fine replacement for the Druid, and Knights can easily be represented with the core Fighter class. A knightly PrC might be in order (see my above post on converting an existing PrC). I see no reason why Barbarians can't be included, and the Woodsman from Wheel of Time is a good alternative for the Ranger.

Remove ads