[LPF] Fury Steps In

Qik

First Post
The Kraken at the other end of Fury's blade has no opportunity to scream in pain or offer any last retort to speak of; he simply falls to the ground, dying.

Parsons, on the other hand, seems more than ready to offer Fury a response when the remaining Kraken crashes into him, screaming "ABELE! NO!" Parsons shudders with the collision, struggling to keep his feet, and Fury catches sight of the man's rapier withdrawing from Parsons' side. Still, the Commander grits his teeth and fights on, dishing out yet another wound to the Kraken. The pair of White Cloaks swoop in in an attempt to aid their commander, but both their attacks are defended by the savvy Kraken.

[sblock=OOC]That's one down and one to go. Try to make it sporting. ;)[/sblock][sblock=Map]
warehouse5.png
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury leaps over the unconscious Kraken, darts round the crate and moves into position to flank the remaining Kraken and take advantage of the distraction provided by the White Cloaks. He ends his movement with a lunge and feels a grim satisfaction as the rapier sinks home. Caught up in the battle Fury doesn't even have any smart remarks to make at the moment.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]Oi, you're gonna hate me...

Move: to -A12
Standard: rapier attack: 1d20+11=30, 1d6+3=7, 2d6=7
Critical confirmation: 1d20+11=18, 1d6+3=9
Possible critical vs. AC 30 (AC 18 to confirm) for 7 dmg + 7 SA dmg + 9 crit dmg if confirmed.

[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 13
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: rapier, sap (off-hand)

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Busy fending off the trio of White Cloaks before him, the remaining Kraken is left completely vulnerable to Fury's come-from-behind attack; he never even sees it coming. As he slumps to the ground, Parsons is already moving to the door beyond him.

Kicking it open, the Commander enters into another, larger storage space, weapon drawn, but he soon relaxes. Gazing past the Commander into the room beyond, Fury can see that the battle is, for all intents and purposes, already over: Commander Handso's squad seems to have performed superbly, capitalizing on the element of surprise, and what few Krakens who are still standing seem to have surrendered. There doesn't seem to be much left for Fury to do except to deal with the undoubtedly-impending wrath of Commander Parsons. Although given the number of Krakens Fury sees (he can count 15+, including the five they faced in the back room), perhaps the Commander will be more than lenient...

[sblock=OOC]Naw, I figured Fury was going to take advantage of the situation. It's fitting that he got the last blow. :)

Encounter over. 700 XP rewarded, GP TBD.

Let's play out the scene here a bit and then we can pull back the curtain as to what's next.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury steps aside to give the good Commander room for his assault on the door then steps in behind and follows. When the Commander halts his charge Fury stops beside him and looks out at the devastation wrought by the White Cloaks. He looks askance at Commander Parsons.

"I have to say I've never had a very high opinion of the White Cloaks before." He looks out at the downed criminals. "But when you get something in your mind and work together... the results of your combined and determined action are impressive. Almost makes a man wish he were part of something bigger like that."

Fury falls silent to muse on these thoughts though he half expects Commander Parsons to interrupt with a tongue lashing.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]

HP: 40 Current: 13

In Hand: rapier, sap (off-hand)

Qik

First Post
Parsons looks ready to deliver precisely the kind of tongue lashing Fury expects, but before he can open his mouth to do so, Commander Handso makes his way over, chest puffed out importantly. "Parsons! I'm glad to see you're alright. We're just finishing up with this lot in here. I'm not sure how things look in the other room, but here, we've got three times more pesh than I've seen in my entire life!" He waves his hand emphatically, gesturing to the stacks of crates which some of his soldiers have already begun to open. "It seems as though they were moving to a place where they could run a full-fledged operation of refining the stuff. Could you imagine that - a large-scale pesh refinery in Venza? The Coordinator would have had a seizure!" he exclaims. It seems success has done wonders for Commander Handso's expressive potential. "It's a good thing we were able to step in when we did." The how of that - Fury - seems to have been conveniently forgotten by Handso.

Parsons remains silent throughout Handso's blustering, taking in the sight of over a dozen Krakens in custody and the veritable mountain of pesh. Finally, he says, "Commander - why don't you see to the prisoners and the inventorying of evidence? I'm going to have a word with Mr. Furioso here." Commander Handso's self-important demeanor entrenches even further at the assigning of such a task. He nods, salutes, and then returns to doing what he does best: ordering others to do his work.

With Handso gone, Parsons turns to Fury. "I'm not going to say that what you did was right, son, because the last thing I need is to okay some adventurer's disobeying of my judgement," he says sternly. "I've got half a mind to lock you up for the rest of the month, and I'd do it, too, if I didn't know it'd either kill old Milo or, barring that, that he'd kill me." The Commander pauses a moment, and then lets out a chuckle, relaxing. "You and Milo - you two are birds of a feather."

"Why don't you go run and get the old man before I change my mind and cuff you - this is a sight he's got to see."

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Thank you, sir. I'll take that as a compliment."

Feeling thankful that the Commander was feeling expansive after the successful bust Fury ignores the pang of misgiving he feels at the Commander's suggestion that he bring Milo here. He takes his leave before Commander Parsons can change his mind but stops in the alley. He probes tenderly at his bruised ribs, certain at least one and probably more is cracked, and winces now that the adrenaline is wearing off allowing him to feel the full extent of his injuries.

Fury withdraws his wand of healing and quickly fires off three charges. Feeling much better, though not quite at his peak health, Fury takes off to give Milo the good news.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]use wand of CLW: 1d8+1=5, 1d8+1=7, 1d8+1=9

HP: 40 Current: 34

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
Fury's knock on the door of the De Luca household is greeted by an apron-clad Milo clearly at the tail end of preparing dinner. His expression progresses from wariness at an unannounced visitor to joy at the sight of Fury to worry at his appearance: although Fury's wand has done wonders for his extensive bruises, it was singly ineffective on his clothing. Thankfully, at this point his visage lies at the level of a rogue out the other side of a tussle rather than infirmary occupant. Milo looks him over, delivering his verdict in the manner of a silver-tongued politician.

"Good gods, Fury, you look like hell!"

Milo hustles Fury in, shuts the door behind him, and sets out a chair at his kitchen table.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury grins and clasps the older man on the shoulder in warm greeting.

"It's good to see you, too, Milo. That apron is quite becoming." Fury allows himself to be herded to the kitchen table where he puts his elbows on the table and leans forward in excitement and eagerness to tell his tale. "I've had quite the exciting day since I last saw you..." He goes on to describe the meeting with Coordinator Moretti and Commander Parsons, his race to recruit Handso into the enterprise and finally the assault on the warehouse.

"...and Commander Parsons thought you might like to come by and see what we've managed to shut down. It's impressive, and a bit scary to think how far this went before being discovered. Handso had the site pretty well wrapped up when I left but I'm not entirely sure it's safe. And I'm interrupting your dinner. I'll just tell the Commanders that you can't make it."

Fury pushes back on his chair and, nodding a farewell to Milo and his wife, gets ready to leave.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]I have a bad feeling about Milo going to the warehouse and think Fury would, too. I think I can justify Fury ignoring it in his excitement over this accomplishment but I can't shake the feeling he's being set up somehow...

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
Milo waves off Fury's faux-compliment as he returns to the stove, where he impressively manages to tend to the simple meal of pasta and vegetables whilst somehow providing Fury with his full attention.

Milo is clearly thrilled by the general news of the Kraken bust, although clearly not surprised at the scope of their operation. "I've been telling them for years," he says with a shake of his head. "Perhaps now they'll listen to me." When Fury starts to rise to leave, Milo shakes his head further, reaching for three bowls. "Don't tell me you're going to insult me by leaving without sharing a meal with me, friend. I am far too proud a chef to let you do that." As he watches Milo ladle food into the bowl, Fury gets the sense that, like a lot of things with Milo, this isn't something that is open to debate. Plopping the bowl on the table in front of Fury's chair, Milo brings another to his wife - delivering it with a kiss to the forehead - and then moves to his small wine store. After a timely consideration, he selects a bottle from the bottom of the rack and retrieves two glass. Setting them down on the table, he uncorks the bottle, and begins to pour.

"Commander Parsons means well - he knows how long I've waited to see something done about Ranocchio's problems - but I have no interest in watching a few scoundrels be led away in chains." Milo finishes pouring, and then returns the cork to its place. Sitting across from Fury, he lifts his glass, gazing at it thoughtfully.

"I had an old friend on the Council of the People who gifted me this bottle many years ago. He said it was a gift for all of my efforts in making Ranocchio a better place to live; he said it was well-earned. It is of superlative vintage." Milo pauses for a moment, reflecting, and then continues. "I told him I would not open it until something tangible had come from my labors. Until I felt as though justice had begun to be served in our district." Milo raises his glass, tips it towards Fury, and says, "Thanks to you, my friend, a small but meaningful step in that direction has been taken today. Here's to the beginning of something more."

He takes a hearty drink.

[sblock=OOC]I think your hesitations are well-founded. Truth be told, I wasn't particularly pleased with that bit; it was more an effort to push Fury back to Milo's. I can't see Milo wanting to go, anyhow, being the down-to-earth man that he is. He'd rather enjoy his dinner. his wine, and his company. :)[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury is easily persuaded to stay and he sinks back down into the chair where he relaxes and lets Milo play the host. He does feel a pang of momentary guilt that he seems to manage to come by the de Luca household at mealtime but without a gift for his friend. He resolves that the next time he stops by he'll bring a nice bottle of wine to share and some well-aged cheese.

Fury accepts a glass of the excellent wine and follows Milo's lead in raising it to the beginnings of justice in Rannochio. "May our first faltering footsteps lead to great strides." He, too, takes a hearty drink though he is a bit more restrained than the older man. He smiles to see how much his friend enjoys such simple things as good wine and a good meal with friends and family.

"I'm sure that Commander Parsons will be much happier without a couple of rabble-rousers like us poking around while he is trying to work." Fury fills his mouth with pasta. "Oohh, Milo. This is delicious!" He can't speak for several minutes as he relishes the meal presented.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]On the other hand, Milo is technically a representative of the government (he is on the Council of the People, isn't he?) and Parsons would have just been extending a courtesy to the older man, letting him see the results of his labors. Just a matter of perspective...

In Hand:

Remove ads