• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Fury Steps In

Qik

First Post
Commander Handso sets aside whatever paper work he was feigning business with when Fury entered. The plump man takes a moment or two to consider Fury's words, and Orlando can almost hear the gears in Handso's head grinding from lack of use. When he does speak, it comes with the slow stutter of a series of half-formed thoughts being assembled in progress, firstly addressed mostly to himself, with his attention slowly turning to Fury.

"But why Parsons...the Krakens were considered a Ranocchian matter...and why wasn't I notified...?"
Handso's eyes widen as the implications of Fury's words hit home. "So you're saying Parsons will fail in his efforts unless I step in?" Handso's voice rises as he stands suddenly, the sizable bulge of his belly bumping his desk forward an inch or two. "ANTONIO!" he calls, presumably to his lieutenant. Before his subordinate can appear, however, Handso's eyes narrow. "Now wait a minute...why are you coming to me with this? Why would you ask me for help?" The Commander clearly hasn't forgotten his previous encounters with Fury.

[sblock=OOC]Just made the Diplomacy DC (I can't imagine Commander Handso not having a negative Charisma modifier...). ;)[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury shrugs as if to imply he knows but expects the Commander knows already, also. "I can't answer to all that, Commander." Their past encounters now proving to be a bit of a hindrance Fury knows that he has to speak carefully in order to steer the Commander to the action he desires instead of some action that, gods forbid, leads Handso to remove Parsons. "Let me be blunt, Commander. I know you don't care for me. But you're the only one who can truly benefit from rescuing Parsons. And if you see fit to bless me with a token of appreciation afterwards then it is information that benefits us both, see? But if Parsons gets killed before we can act then neither one of us benefits."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Move: --
Standard: --[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 34
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand:

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Commander Handso nods distractedly at Fury's words, but the full implications of the present circumstance already seem to be dominating his attention; the Commander spends the next few moments seemingly lost in thought.

The spell is broken at the appearance of a young man, presumably Antonio. Antonio throws a smart salute, the formality of which is likely brought on by the unusual urgency in Handso's voice. "Sir?"

Handso nods. "Antonio, how many men do we have at the guard station at present?"

"Six, sir, excluding myself and yourself."

"Excellent. Antonio, I want those men ready to march in less than two minutes. Two minutes - do you understand me?"

"Yes sir."

"Excellent. You are dismissed." Antonio rushes off.

Jowls quivering excitedly, Commander Handso hurriedly prepares himself to depart, having almost forgotten Fury's presence completely. It seems as though the Commander has waited for this day, for this opportunity, for some time indeed.

In a little over two minutes' time, Fury finds himself outside the guard station, trying not-altogether successfully to not seem completely out of place amongst the rank-and-file White Cloaks. Commander Handso's unit is an awkward bunch, to be sure - Ranocchio not being the best of assignments - but still, Fury thinks, these are six more-or-less able-bodied fighting men that Galen Parsons doesn't have on his side. With Lieutenant Antonio Whats-his-name left behind to man the guard station, the Commander prepares to head out. This makes for an awkward realization, at least from the Commander's perspective.

"Ahh...which way are we going, now?"

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury steps up at the Commander's question. "Down near Mirkwater Court, Commander. The Kraken's have set up a base of some sort, but I'm not sure of the best way there from here." Fury goes on to give directions such as he knows them to the Commander while looking to the White Cloaks to encourage them to speak up if they know the area better.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]Sorry for the delay; got rather busy at the weekend.

Knowledge (local) for directions: 1d20+10=13
Move: --
Standard: --[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
Handso nods, and, despite Fury's somewhat vague directions, the troop finds their way there easily enough.

The building waiting for them on their arrival is a large, dilapidated warehouse that would appear to be empty if one didn't know better. Approaching from an alleyway opposite the building, Fury catches sight of Commander Parsons and his diminished squadron. As Handso's group draws nearer, Parsons turns suddenly, his hand flashing to his sword-hilt, but relaxing when he recognizes the group, his expression replaced by one of puzzlement. "Handso, what are you doing - oh," he interjects himself, catching sight of Fury. "Don't tell me: the Calvary has arrived. I thought I told you to stay out of this?"

Despite his gruff exterior, Fury senses in Parsons not a small amount of relief.

[sblock=OOC]No worries! We've maintained an admirable pace for the last four months (!), so I don't feel much pressure to keep things moving at this point.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury smirks and shrugs.

"I was headed straight home, Commander, just like you ordered. But I ran into Commander Handso who could tell I was terribly upset. He winkled it out of me; I couldn't help it. Lucky for us he immediately saw the gravity of the situation. Now, are we going to stand about out here while whatever happens in there... happens?" He motions vaguely with one hand then grins.

"Or we gonna get to crackin' some heads?"

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
Commander Parsons takes a moment to wage a war of internal dialogue before issuing a good, long, exasperated sigh which Fury takes as evidence that his side has won. "Fine," he says flatly, "but you're coming with me; I want to keep my eye on you."

Turning to Commander Handso, Parsons says, "Commander, I'll take my unit and Mr. Furioso around to scout the back of the building. Once we're in position and have had a look around, we'll relay our status and give the word to close in. I take it you brought your wand?" says Commander Parsons, gesturing to the wand tucked into his belt. Handso nods, raising his own. "Good. See you inside, Commander; good hunting. And thanks for coming," he adds, moving off as Handso visibly puffs up with pride.

Navigating through a side alley, the group of four makes their way around to the building's rear, which is as nondescript as the front. A service entrance is set at one end, and the two small windows are grimed over to the point of opaqueness. No sign of the Krakens is visible. Parsons mutters to Fury out of the side of his mouth, "I hope you're right about this, kid. Doesn't look like much."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury watches Parsons come to terms with being out maneuvered with no small amount of satisfaction but he is careful not to push the Commander too far by gloating any more. The interaction between Parsons and Handso is equally interesting and Fury looks thoughtfully at the heavy Commander of Ranocchio: if he's not on the Kraken payroll Handso may not be a total loss as a commander after all. Time would tell.

Moving around to the back of the warhouse Fury is beginning to worry a bit. He expected look-outs and the fact that they've seen no sign of them means they're either very good and the White Cloaks are walking into an ambush or that the business the Krakens were working here is finished and they've moved on and up in the world.

"You and me both, Commander. I've staked my reputation with you all on this intel and I'm not keen on having two Commanders pissed at me if it turns out to be false."

Fury tries to peer through one of the little windows with little success and so instead puts his ear up close to it to see if he can hear anything. If he doesn't hear anything he'll move to the door to check for locks and traps unless Commander Parsons indicates otherwise.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]Perception (listen): 1d20+8=26
Leaving the check for locks/traps to you.[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
As Fury presses his ear against the grimy window pane, he catches the sounds of activity inside: heavy items being lifted and dropped, voices calling out to one another, and even the occasional burst of laughter. Although it's impossible to determine specifics, it's clear that somebody's home, and, while busy, they're not especially urgent. After years of operating in the Planks relatively unchallenged, the lack of any real urgency is perhaps to be expected.

Commander Parsons follows Fury to the door - "I told you I'm not letting you out of my sight" - but defers to Orlando's expertise when it comes to inspecting the entrance. A careful scan leaves Fury reasonably certain that the door is in no way trapped, and a short inspection leaves him confident that the lock poses no threat to his skills.

[sblock=OOC]Fury's inspection of the lock is successful enough to reveal that he can open it by taking 10.

FYI, when the lock is opened, Parsons isn't going to let Fury enter first. Hero's code and all that. Also, at present, I envisage Fury and Parsons checking out the building up close while the other two White Cloaks hide in a nearby alley.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury nods in acceptance of the Commander's watchfulness although he feels a twinge of discomfort when he withdraws his tools to work the lock. The man is a member of the White Cloaks after all and the assorted picks and tools can hardly be considered anything but tools to aid in criminal endeavors.

"As you wish, Commander."

Fury will relay what little he learned listening at the window before beginning work on the lock. He'll take his time working the lock making sure that he does as much as possible to minimize the amount of noise he makes when doing so. When the last tumbler falls into place he'll step aside, make an 'after you' motion his his hand and give Parsons an unrepentant grin.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]Take 10 on Disable Device: 25[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

In Hand:

Remove ads