• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Fury Steps In

Qik

First Post
Coordinator Moretti's eyes narrow at Fury's opening barb, but he lets the man finish before responding.

"Mr. Furioso, at the present moment I'm dealing with the resolution and aftermath of a recent outbreak of undead, numerous instances of attacks by escaped and dangerous 'cargo' at the docks, accusations of poisoning by one of the city's alchemists, and an attempt to prevent a burgeoning and potentially crooked religion from establishing a hold within this city, just to name a small fraction of the issues among which I am distributing my time. So yes, if, when pursuing the more standard avenue of procuring a meeting with myself, there exists a fairly substantial delay, I should have hoped it would be met with a singly more understanding attitude." Moretti sighs, then continues.

"I would have hoped for something more substantial, but given your ties to the community and you, ahem, 'talents'" - it doesn't take an unusual level of perceptiveness to interpret this as a thinly veiled dig at the unsavory elements of Fury's identity as a Ranocchian - "I am nevertheless inclined to believe you when you say that there exists a real urgency in dealing with this Kraken threat." The Coordinator turns to Commander Parsons and says, "Commander, please see to it that Mr. Furioso is properly debriefed, and that an appropriately-sized force of men is dispatched to investigate this threat at once." The Coordinator turns back to Fury. "I trust that this will suffice, Mr. Furioso. Is there anything else?"

The implication that Fury is not to be directly involved with the investigation of the Kraken headquarters is not lost on Fury.

[sblock=OOC]Glad to be of help. :)

I've never played a rogue myself, but I've toyed around with a lot of character ideas and builds. I always seem to take Combat Trick as my first or second Rogue Talent, mainly because I find most of the options to be underwhelming. Although I'm not too familiar with the options added by Ultimate Combat.

From what you listed, Favored Terrain (Urban) would also be a good fit. Makes a lot of sense in Fury's case, and the bonuses are decent (although the initiative bonus is generally mitigated somewhat in our PbP format). I have really grown fond of the image of Fury as a sap wielder, though. :D[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury shakes his head in the negative.

"No, sir, nothing else. Given your, ah, ties to the 'ruling class' I'm abjectly thankful you deigned to meet with me at all." Setting aside his exchange of barbs with the Coordinator (which greatly amused Fury), he turns to Commander Parsons. "So, Commander, looks like we've work to do and little time to do it."

A brief glance and barely concealed smile back at Coordinator Moretti, "By your leave, Coordinator..."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]Yes, Fury as sap wielder is an image growing stronger with me as well. His history of previous adventures and this adventure are strongly cementing my idea of Fury as self-appointed defender of the common folk of the city... And there's a big difference between dumping dead bodies into a canal and unconscious bodies in the alley.

Move: --
Standard: --[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 34
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand:

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Coordinator Moretti opts not to respond to Fury's latest barb, and he simply dismisses the pair with a nod before turning his attention to some paperwork.

Outside of the office, Commander Parsons leads Fury to an interview room, after stopping to speak briefly with a subordinate about preparing some of his men. Fury gets the sense that the Commander feels a bit uneasy after witnessing Fury's exchange with the Coordinator. Nevertheless, he treats him civilly as he starts the debriefing process. "Right, so tell me what you know about these Krakens: their location, their forces, etc. I don't want to be ill-prepared and have them get the better of my men because of it."

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Ah, lighten up, Commander! When else is a lowly frog like me going to get the opportunity to tweak the nose of one of Venza's high and mighty? Besides, I have to enjoy life when I can; any word gets out that I'm the one that ran to the White Cloaks and my life suddenly gets much grimmer... and shorter."

Fury pointedly stares at the Commander, assessing the man's reliability and honesty and control over his subordinates and is surprisingly satisfied with what he sees. He gives Parsons a quick nod and then gets down to business. "Krakens. Rough group of boys..." He continues to fill Commander Parsons in on what he knows of the gang. Now that he's down to business Fury is concise in the information given and he answers the Commander's probing questions sussing out a clearer tactical picture as best as he can.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Standard: --[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
Perhaps surprisingly, Commander Parsons eases up considerably at Fury's remark. There's something about Fury taking the piss out of an authority figure that the Commander seems to resonate with. Their exchange about the Krakens goes smoothly; Parsons seems to know his fair share about the group himself, although he knows nothing of their recent press to expand.

As the pair finish the debriefing, Parsons' subordinate returns. "The men are ready, Commander. I'm sorry to say that we were only able to find three fighting men ready to go on such short notice; the Coordinator seems to have the rest of the squad on duty tied up, and we don't seem to have time to rouse any others." Parsons swears, muttering under his breath about his inability to do a proper job without the necessary means...

[sblock=OOC]Sorry about the bit of a delay. Also, while I'm thinking about it, I'm going to be on the road from Thursday to Monday of next week - not sure about the degree to which it'll affect my posting, but I wanted to give you a head's up.

I rolled a diplomacy check for Fury and he rolled a 20 (for a total of 31), so he's probably Parsons' favorite adventurer in the whole of Venza at the moment. :)[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury sighs. Typical. Finally find a competent White Cloak and he's hampered in doing his duty by his superiors.

"Three men and yourself leading, Commander?" Fury shakes his head. "Four men just isn't enough; you're going to need me." He raises a hand to forestall Commander Parsons' objections. "You feel you can't go against the Coordinator's implied orders and take me along then swear me in and get me a cloak because you're going to need the extra swordarm."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]NP about the delay. And thanks for the heads-up about your upcoming travel.

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
The Commander frowns. "Now look, Orlando: I like you better than I do the average adventuring folk, which is saying something. You've got your feet on the ground, and you seem to genuinely care about those you do your deeds for, rather than the typical hireling who has eyes only for the coin they're making. Now that's something I can respect."

Commander Parsons shifts his weight and then continues in a no-nonsense tone. "That's why I'm going to tell it to you as straight as I can: there's no way I'm going to allow you to come along with us. You may be a respectable sword-for-hire, but you're still a sword-for-hire, and I would be violating my respect for the White Cloaks uniform if I ignored that fact and allowed you to come along. Four men against who-knows-how-many isn't ideal, but we're White Cloaks, and they're thugs. I have faith in my men."

Softening a bit, Parsons puts a hand on Fury's shoulder. "I'm sorry, son, but I've made up my mind. You've done a lot as it is, both for Ranocchio and for Milo; knowing him like I do, I could tell it meant a lot to him to have you in that meeting the other day, getting his back like you did. But that doesn't change the fact that I can't let you come along on a mission with the White Cloaks; it just wouldn't be right."

Having said his piece on the matter, Commander Parsons sets off to gather his men and head out immediately. Sorting out his feelings on the matter on his feet, as it were, Fury either follows the Commander, attempting unsuccessfully to reason with him, or moves outside of the White Cloaks headquarters in an effort to clear his mind and figure out his next move. Either way, Fury eventually winds up outside of the headquarters, and as he figures out what to do next, he spies the Commander exiting the headquarters, with only two White Cloaks in tow. Apparently manpower is in short supply this afternoon.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury listens to Commander Parsons' spiel with a half-smile pasted across his face. When faced with rigid righteousness such as the Commander is exhibiting he's learned it is a waste of effort to argue. He'll have to do like he always does with problems: hit it hard then slip around behind it and hit it again and again until it isn't a problem any longer.

Having decided that he'd scout things out and soften up the Krakens for the good Commander Fury pushes off from the wall where he was slouching to make his way across to Ranocchio and the Kraken hideout. And spots Parsons with his depleted squad of two men. He groans and curses.

"Gods curse it all, Commander! You shoulda pulled the stick outta your arse and accepted my help. You may be feeling particularly suicidal but I'm not."

Catching odd glances from passers-by Fury realizes talking aloud to himself may not be the best course of action. Thinking quickly he comes up with a half-formed plan that relies entirely upon rather unpleasant aspects of human nature, though not so unpleasant as it might be if he's miscalculated things...

"Parsons may know his stuff but he doesn't know Planks like I do. And I'd wager he'll make some detours to avoid some of the riskier canal crossings..."

Still muttering to himself Fury takes off at a dead run towards Planks. He does his best to dodge through the streets and ignores the yells of complaint when he isn't successful. Finally he passes into Ranocchio where the people are a bit more wary and tend to get out of his way a bit quicker. Arriving at his destination he throws open the door with a crash. Inwardly he grins at the commotion he's causing in the guard station of Commander Beppe Handso.

[size=+1]"I need to see Commander Handso now! It's a matter of life and death!"[/size]

[sblock=Actions/OOC]Ok, so you have a chance to think about it a bit I'll fill you in on Fury's plan. If given the chance, Fury will enlist Commander Handso's help to pull Parsons' fat out of the fire using Handso's desire for better position as a lever to get a group of men together to assault the Kraken hideout. Saving the Coordinator's favorite is sure to earn favor, etc. etc.

Bluff: 1d20+9=13 to get quick admittance to Commander Handso.

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
Fury's appearance at the guard station is met more with annoyance than anything else; paradoxically, many of those stationed in Venza's most dangerous district seem to be the least inclined to readily address a request for help. Perhaps it's simply that the wariness of living in Ranocchio affects those on both sides of the law.

Nevertheless, Fury manages to be shown into Commander Handso's office shortly after his arrival, if for no other reason than because the commander has little else on his plate. Fury's inward grin expands when he sees the commander's thinly veiled disdain at this disturbance increase three-fold when he sees its source. Nevertheless, the commander greets Fury in a reasonably civil manner. "Mister, ah, Furioso, was it? What can I do for you?"

[sblock=OOC]Thanks for being patient while I was out of town; your post had seemed like a good enough cliffhanger that I thought I'd wait until I had the proper time to move things along. :)

Your idea sounds good to me. It wasn't a direction I had foreseen, of course, but I think it's interesting and inventive, and I'm happy to roll with it. Good luck convincing the commander of its validity! ;)[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury nods respectfully to Commander Handso; it wouldn't do to antagonize the man, particularly at the point when he needs his help.

"My apologies for the dramatics, Commander. The fact of the matter is that it has come to my attention that a certain Commander Parsons has received orders to move against a Kraken hideout and is, in fact, doing so as we speak with only two men in support. We both know this will be a momentary diversion for the Krakens. However..." Fury smiles as if he has a secret that he needs to be persuaded to reveal, yet he keeps speaking.

"A man with ambition might realize that pulling the Coordinator's pet Commander unscathed from the fire would result in quite a bit of that favor being transferred to himself and might even bring a desired relocation." Fury pauses dramatically. "Today is your day, Commander!"

Almost as an afterthought he adds a bit more to his spiel. "Of course, the man who brought this to the attention of that Commander might hope for a bit of that favor to trickle down to him." He smiles, hoping that Commander Handso takes his meaning in the most larcenous manner possible. "But we need to hurry if we want to take advantage of this opportunity."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]Diplomacy: 1d20+11=19

In Hand:

Remove ads