• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Compendium

Agamemnon

First Post
The more I read the forums, the less I like the book. When I first got the MIC, I quite enjoyed it, right now it feels like a colossal waste of money.

Thanks a bundle.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I think it's brilliant, the best 3E book I've read outside the core rules. The items are extremely well costed, much more so than those in the DMG. Nothing is overpowered or underpowered. There's much coolness, especially the sets.

Players love magic items so it's important to get this part of the game right.

Blastin

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
I think it's brilliant, the best 3E book I've read outside the core rules. The items are extremely well costed, much more so than those in the DMG. Nothing is overpowered or underpowered. There's much coolness, especially the sets.

Players love magic items so it's important to get this part of the game right.

Agreed.
And they brought back on of my favorite 2nd Ed items: Rod of Force!.... Yeah for the D&D lightsaber ;)

Shroomy

Adventurer
My girlfriend bought this book for me yesterday. I've skimmed it and I enjoy it immensely. Tons of useful items with reasonable costs.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Eric Anondson said:
I have a character in Living Greyhawk who definately has an item worth far more than 1/8 his wealth. A 15th level character bought a belt of magnificence +4. Oh dear, I sold nearly everything I had except armor and my shield to get it. 100,000gp for a +4 stat bump in all abilities, and only taking up a single body slot. The character has some amount of dependency on 5 of his 6 stats, Str (damage, attack, and various shield feat DCs), Dex (AC and Init), Con (hit points), Wis (bonus spells), Cha (smite and divine grace).

Yeah, that's an item worth more than 1/8 his wealth and I'm happy to pay it.

Hmm, I wonder if the 1/8 guideline actually means 1/8 excluding weapons and armor and shield...

Where is this item to be found?

hong

WotC's bitch
Kerrick said:
So... what was the point of using item levels again? *scratches head*

Handing out items for NPC treasure, I think. So if you fight a 10th level NPC, you'll find a 10th level item as loot (plus other, less powerful stuff).

You could also use them as prereqs for item use: you have to be at least 10th level to activate a 10th level item's powers.

Remove ads