• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical technology

Quasqueton

First Post
Sejs said:
I actually don't think the question is for a name for a magic/machine hybrid, but rather asking "Technology is to machines, as ________ is to magic".
Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

I told my Players that their help was needed for testing some new "magical technology", and that terminology just felt wrong. Sort of a contradiction of terms.

Quasqueton

Mallus

Legend
In my CITY campaign, a university professor NPC who teaches a 'theories of magic' course calls it "Ineffable Inquiry and Un-natural Philosophy". I think that sounds rather stylish. A fire-loving PC alchemist practices "Material Physicks", most recently on pirates and college students.

If you want a more generic term, "thaumaturgy" is probably best, or simply "philosophy".

Sejs

First Post
Quasqueton said:
Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

I told my Players that their help was needed for testing some new "magical technology", and that terminology just felt wrong. Sort of a contradiction of terms.

In that case, yeah, I'd go with Arcana.

Or, if we want to integrate 'em with above:

Thaumaturgy: the body of material pertaining to magic.

Thaumatology: the study of the theory and science that defines the principles of magic.

Thaumatological: pertaining to academic thaumaturgy; a thaumatological formula.

Thaumaturge/Thaumatologist: one who is primarily concerned with the academic study of magic; a sage.

Arcana: the practical aplication of thaumaturgy; a spellbook is a book of arcana, a magic sword is a work of arcana.

Arcane: pertaining to the practical aplication of thaumaturgy; a spellbook is an arcane tome, a summoning circle is an arcane diagram.

Arcanist: one who primarily implements arcana; a wizard, sorcerer, artificer, etc.

Just off the top of my head.

fusangite

First Post
I don't think medievals had a general category for magic items because they wouldn't have conceptualized the category the same way we do. Because magic was an extension of natural law rather than a breach therein, many things have become magical only in hindsight.

About the biggest category I can think of is "charm," because it included both Christian and non-Christian magic items and did not specify the physical form or materials of the object. Another good term, although it crosses the magic-non-magic boundary the way Tolkien's elves do is "artifice." (Imagine a party of non-casters trying to distinguish between a masterwork and a +1 sword.) The boundary between something being very well made and being magic was quite permeable so something made with great skill/artifice could be implied to be magical.

Remove ads