• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Manual of the Planes for 5e on DMSGuild

New on the DMSGuild is the Manual of the Planes for 5th edition. The cover is stunning. It's over 300 pages and the credits page includes folks from The Draconomicon, The Dragonlance Companion, Tasha's Crucible of Everything Else, Planescape: Metropolis, The Honkonomicon and Planewalker.com I love the special thanks. This project was made possible by Roll20. Thank you for unlocking new...

New on the DMSGuild is the Manual of the Planes for 5th edition. The cover is stunning.

Manual of the Planes. An invaluable, definitive work on the most fascinating aspect of the World's Greatest Roleplaying Game

It's over 300 pages and the credits page includes folks from The Draconomicon, The Dragonlance Companion, Tasha's Crucible of Everything Else, Planescape: Metropolis, The Honkonomicon and Planewalker.com

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 9.37.13 PM.png

I love the special thanks.

This project was made possible by Roll20. Thank you for unlocking new horizons for the latest generation of planewalkers, bashers, berks, and touts. We’d also like to thank the giants on whose shoulders we stand when writing this book: Justice Ramin Arman, Richard Baker, Wolfgang Baur, David “Zeb” Cook, Bruce R. Cordell, Jeff Grubb, David Noonan, F. Wesley Schneider, Rick Swan, and all others who helped create and cultivate Planescape and the planes.

I've just bought it and am reading it now.

Here is the table of contents.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 10.18.51 PM.png

afroakuma

Explorer
I think fleshing out is great. What I'm mostly talking about is that WotC needs to expand the settings and do it fairly quickly. Not take 10 years to put out 1 book per setting. Then we will know what needs to be fleshed out. Even looking at 2e Planescape and all of its supplements, there's TONS of space that third party designers could use to flesh out portions of the setting.

We need both WotC to provide a good amount of setting supplementation AND third party help. That way everyone can be taken care of. The vast majority of players who do not go online to see third party stuff can use the WotC supplementation, and the rest of us can use it all.
No argument from me on that, I'm all for more content to serve the needs of settings that deserve more love.

darjr

I crit!
There is no real bloat, though. I'm talking setting supplements here, not Tasha type books(that's in another thread. :p ) and those don't bloat anything. They just give details on portions of the setting where none exists.
I dint agree, they often have new rules and player options. Which makes the bloat a little worse, maybe, cause it scatters those things across more books. But I get your point. Still many of the same things apply.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I dint agree, they often have new rules and player options. Which makes the bloat a little worse, maybe, cause it scatters those things across more books. But I get your point. Still many of the same things apply.
They often do, but don't have to. Speaking for myself, I'd much rather have a setting supplement with no new mechanics than not to have one at all.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Ah, I wonder if this is due to what I said about fleshing out some areas that Planescape didn't really give enough love to. Just to clarify on what I meant, I was not suggesting that one needs to have the old Planescape books to get use out of what we've added. Rather, what I meant was "sometimes Planescape would briefly mention a god or location or planar layer without giving it much character; when we have presented the same information, we've fleshed out what is on offer, so that you can use this as your single source of reference and come away feeling like there's a solid concept underpinning what you want to do."

I hope that helps somewhat and I'm not misreading where you're coming from.
This all sounds great to me. Really looking forward to getting this!

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think the bloat issue is very overexaggerated and in fact a source of unreasonable fear. You can seriously just use what you want to and not use what you don't.

dave2008

Legend
They should sell well enough. They're getting ready to release some according to what they said. They wouldn't do that if they didn't sell enough to make it worthwhile.
I don't think anyone really knows that though. History tells us that they haven't sold well in the pass, but who knows what will come to pass. Maybe WotC thinks they have figured out the magic sauce of setting supplements that has previously eluded both them and TSR..

dave2008

Legend
I think the bloat issue is very overexaggerated and in fact a source of unreasonable fear. You can seriously just use what you want to and not use what you don't.
But couldn't you say the same thing about Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft? Everyone has their issues they need to deal with.

Yes, but my point in that post is that the vast majority of players are casual and don't go look at forums and 3rd party sites. WotC is their only outlet for such things. This is per what WotC has told us in the past.

If they're that casual, then they probably don't care or worry about further info. They'll be, in their casual way, happy with just the original set.

In fact, I would suggest that showing further interest catapults one from "casual" status.

darjr

I crit!
Either believe people when they say they had issues with bloat or don’t. I don’t really care. But I’d have to say, so far, I think you’ve actually been proven wrong.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If they're that casual, then they probably don't care or worry about further info. They'll be, in their casual way, happy with just the original set.

In fact, I would suggest that showing further interest catapults one from "casual" status.
I disagree on your definition of casual. Further interest in a setting supplement that comes out is no different than showing interest in any other book that comes out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads