• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Martial Maneuvers inspired by The Princess Bride

This is as a result of one of the fighter threads on the 5E board.

Assume we create a bunch of martial (i.e., mundane -- accessible to any character with appropriate training) fighting maneuvers that characters gain access to as part of feat selection, or as a class feature that allows some to be selected each level. Maneuvers are use as part of an attack or movement, are at-will, do not get expended, may have prerequisites, may gain additional benefits when used in conjunction with a particular weapon, fighting style, or terrain, and may be combined or used in opposition. The goal is to have a flexible system able to be applied over D&D (or similar) combat and replicate the famous swordfight from The Princess Bride:

TPB said:
Inigo Montoya: You are using Bonetti's Defense against me, ah?
Man in Black: I thought it fitting considering the rocky terrain.
Inigo Montoya: Naturally, you must suspect me to attack with Capa Ferro?
Man in Black: Naturally... but I find that Thibault cancels out Capa Ferro. Don't you?
Inigo Montoya: Unless the enemy has studied his Agrippa... which I have.

For example:

Example Maneuvers said:
Bonetti's Defense: Subtract 1 damage per level from your attack (up to -5) to add 1 AC per level (up to +5). If fighting in rocky terrain, give an additional +2 to AC. AC improvement lasts until your next attack. May be used in conjunction with Thibault.

Capa Ferro: Subtract 1 AC to add +2 damage to an attack. Cancels the AC bonus of an opponent using Bonetti's Defense.

Riposte: Gain +2 to hit against an opponent who damaged you last round.

Parry: Immediately block the attack of an opponent, but give up your next turn.

Thibault: Subtract +1 to hit on an attack; gain +1 AC. If used with Bonetti's Defense, does not increase AC to above +5 but allows the AC bonus to be used against an opponent using Capa Ferro.

Agrippa Style: Renders your attack immune to Riposte.

Inigo's Step: Prerequisite - Riposte. Allows use of Riposte against an attacker using Agrippa Style.

Inconceivable! Shouting this as you attack causes your opponent to take a -1 surprise penalty to AC. Rises to -2 when used with a dagger.

What types of maneuvers would you create for this system?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
(At first I thought this was a thread about marital maneuvers inspired by The Princess Bride...)

To have a martial arts system, which this is tending towards, you need some sort of rock-paper-scissors which require resource commitments. Like, you have some sort of "Rock" stance which gives you an AC bonus in difficult terrain, so he uses a "Paper" attack to try to penetrate your defense, forcing you to use an immediate "Scissors" action to counter his attack.

Actually, this makes me want to write up a set of three Martial Maneuvers trees, each of which works exceedingly well against one of the others, and fares poorly against the third.

"As you wish", -- N

I'd like to see something similar for martial arts too. I know such products exist and I've actually read some, yet they always leave me cold.

Mind you, I've not seen any such products since 4e came out.

THIS THREAD IS SO FULL OF AWESOME!

Yes, I'm shouting there... ;)

(and sorry, can't xp ya Olgar...yet).

I love the idea of the different styles and the rock, paper, scissors (lizard, spock).

Tangentially related: since day one of 4E, my group has referred to the spend-a-healing-surge-on-a-natural-20-death-save as the "Inigo Montoya rule".

We use something like it in Pathfinder currently.

I would say about 15 choices total.

3-4 for each style, 5 styles.

Perhaps 5 choices for 3 styles, but having more styles that choices is better, I think.

That's good, since if we use the rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock model, each maneuver choice within a style can defeat two maneuvers in that style, and be defeated by two maneuvers in that style.

If we then have five styles, it allows us to create a 5 x 5 matrix of 5 fighting styles (Numbered) and 5 maneuvers (letters) that interact. So:

Style 1: A B C D E
Style 2: F G H I J
Style 3: L M N O P
Style 4: Q R S T U
Style 5: V W X Y Z

Within a style line, a maneuver defeats two maneuvers to its right, while being defeated by two maneuvers to its left. So C defeats D and E, but is defeated by A and B. L defeats M and N, but is defeated by O and P.

Within a column, between styles, the same model applies. A maneuver defeats the two maneuvers from other styles below it, and is defeated by the two maneuvers from other styles above it. So C defeats H and N but is defeated by S and X; M defeats R and W but is defeated by B and G. Other combinations have no interaction (e.g. A versus M ... though one could choose to repeat the process on the diagonal, too, for even more complexity!)

This system can be expanded so long as the style/maneuver matrix is odd in number and square.

Now the hard part ... coming up with names and individual mechanics for the styles and maneuvers!

Remove ads