• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Marvel Studios’ Secret Invasion | New Official Trailer | Disney+

Stalker0

Legend
My main fear with this is....we get this nice plot twist in Captain Marvel that the skrulls are not so bad, they are just looking for a home, and the Kree are the real bad guys.

So what....now we are going to have another band of skrulls that are going to invade earth, completely validating the Kree's notion of why they tried to take them out?

Feels a bit off message to me.

My main fear with this is....we get this nice plot twist in Captain Marvel that the skrulls are not so bad, they are just looking for a home, and the Kree are the real bad guys.

So what....now we are going to have another band of skrulls that are going to invade earth, completely validating the Kree's notion of why they tried to take them out?

Why? To take from another genre: not all elves are good, not all orcs are evil. Why do you demand an alien race to be a one-dimensional stereotype?

pukunui

Legend

As a non-comics reader, I feel your concern. I am mildly hopeful that the underlying premise of this show isn't that the Kree were right after all but rather that the Skrulls aren't a monolithic species and that they have good and bad folks among them. While having clear cut good and bad guys is fine most of the time, I do appreciate a bit of nuance now and again.

Staffan

Legend

I have a fear that it might be even worse: that a faction within the refugees decide that Earth is theirs now and they should take over. And portraying refugees as a potential fifth column would be, um, bad.

I have a fear that it might be even worse: that a faction within the refugees decide that Earth is theirs now and they should take over. And portraying refugees as a potential fifth column would be, um, bad.
A lot of people are concerned that that might be the plotline.

If so it would be astonishingly tone-deaf and even somewhat dangerous writing. I mean, you can't put it past the MCU, which has made some truly bizarre writing choices in the TV series' particularly, but hopefully not.

However, I suspect the actual plotline may be more of a "burned spies" kind of deal - i.e. "We worked for you for decades, and [this] is how you repay us? I guess we'll have to sort out our own future using the methods you taught us.". Where [this] is some sort of extreme betrayal or abandonment.

MarkB

Legend
However, I suspect the actual plotline may be more of a "burned spies" kind of deal - i.e. "We worked for you for decades, and [this] is how you repay us? I guess we'll have to sort out our own future using the methods you taught us.". Where [this] is some sort of extreme betrayal or abandonment.
So basically, the plot of most recent espionage movies, especially the Mission Impossible series. (Seriously, the number of spies who turn into big bads makes it seem like they'd have been better off not having an espionage service in the first place).

So basically, the plot of most recent espionage movies, especially the Mission Impossible series. (Seriously, the number of spies who turn into big bads makes it seem like they'd have been better off not having an espionage service in the first place).
Precisely. It's a very common plotline right now. The showrunner (Kyle Brandstreet - it's his first time showrunning, he's previously written episodes for Coppers an about two episodes a season of Mr Robot - none of them particularly memorably great episodes, AFAICT - so I'd be unsurprised if it was a slightly ordinary plotline. To be fair it's a plotline that's cropped up regularly in spy stuff since the 1960s.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Alas, this sums up how I feel about most of the latest Marvel releases.

Write It Down Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Except Guardians of the Galaxy 3. Oh, and "Spiderman: Whatever Way I Get Home, Maybe on a Bus."

Remove ads