[May] What are you reading?

Kaodi

Hero
Readings in Comparative Politics edited by Mark Kesselman, Essentials of Comparative Politics edited by Patrick H. O'Neil, Compara- Oh, wait, you did not mean, "What are you reading for school?" ;) ?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Finished the second book of the Grail Quest novels by Bernard Cornwell and it seems like a good setup for the third. As I posted before, I read the fourth book, 1356, out of order, not realizing it was part of this series but now I am getting the impression he wrote the first three as an intended trilogy and the fourth as a way to revisit the characters from the series. Some of the setup in the fourth leads me to believe that it practically stands alone and mentions early on how it fits with the other three but as an extra rather than an originally planned fourth. Anyway, good stuff and I look forward to the third in the series, Heretic.

Nellisir

Hero
I started The Left Hand of God, by Paul Hoffman, but it got really...questionable. I checked out a few reviews, and they confirmed what I was beginning to suspect - it's a confused, slightly bizarre book that has no idea what it's going for, and a 14-year old Mary Sue boy for a protagonist that is on the road to making Kvothe look mediocre.

The map is bizarre - you've got Memphis, located east of the Appalachian mountain range, and on the eastern shore of the Bay of Memphis...and the Atlas Mountains north of the Appalachians, with the desert-like scablands between and westward.

It reads like YA version of a Patrick Rothfuss book filtered through the Assassins of history, if the Assassins were Christians with a sideways view of Jesus. The four main characters (all young teenagers) introduced so far have all been totally isolated from the outside world and (except for one) abused since they were 5, 6, or 7, but have no qualms about escaping and making their way on their own. Except they can't eat rich food, and much is made of how they get sick after every meal (but despite never having eaten anything but nasty gruel, they all hate it and love "real" food.)

So, I think I'm done with this. It and the sequel can go back to the book sale.

LeStew

Explorer
Ended up getting the second Cotton Malone book, The Alexandria Link.

Plus I'm reading the Star Trek comic series. And even though its in the JJverse, it's still really good.

Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson. I really like how intricately plotted this series is. I found the beginning a bit slow compared to Gardens of the Moon. Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the novel. It doesn't feel like Erikson is trying to hold anything back, plotwise, in an attempt to stretch his story.

Mallus

Legend
Inferno by Dan Brown
Is it good? Perhaps that's the wrong question. Is it fun? My wife's thinking of getting it -- she's read 1 & 3 of the Symbologist books and we saw Angels and Demons. She's normally more of a Proust person, but she's got a weakness for Dan Brown.

I'm on a recent non-fiction kick. I'm reading George Packers's The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America, and after that I've got Jaron Lanier's Who Owns the Future.

But what I'm psyched about is Abaddon's Gate, the next book in the Expanse series which hits in June.

Asmo

First Post
Is it good? Perhaps that's the wrong question. Is it fun? My wife's thinking of getting it -- she's read 1 & 3 of the Symbologist books and we saw Angels and Demons. She's normally more of a Proust person, but she's got a weakness for Dan Brown.

I'm on a recent non-fiction kick. I'm reading George Packers's The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America, and after that I've got Jaron Lanier's Who Owns the Future.

But what I'm psyched about is Abaddon's Gate, the next book in the Expanse series which hits in June.

I´ve only read 165 pages, so I´m not sure yet. It´s the usual "pedal to the metal" tempo, with no chance to catch the breath, which I like with Dan Brown. I´ve to return to you on this one later.

Remove ads