• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

greywulf

First Post
I've put a Summary of Lite Systems up on the Macropedia. It's up now, btw - the server aparently ran out of diskspace because another user ran a wayward script. Fixed now though, the admins say.

I've literally just copy-and-pasted Pilsnerquest's text into the page, so if you're responsible for Rank20, Realms of Renown, Quick20 or any other systems you want including in the list, please edit the page yourself to correct information, add a URL or detail what's different about the system. There's no registration or password silliness, just hit Edit this page and start typing. Remember to add a username at the bottom of the text though. It helps me to see who done what.

I agree, it's a good idea to keep a summary somewhere, and the Macropedia is as good a place as any :)

Kensanata, you're right. There will be one campaign setting pushed to the front, with others as "or you could use these" as well. Variety is good.

Rycanada, yes, I dig :)

Ry

Explorer
Page edited, working on the pdf now.

Since the Reserve mechanic seems to have some interest (and has been a big hit with my players) I'm going to make it part of Rank20's core rules. Since there's also some interest in doing everything with a d20, I'm also going to make that assumption when I write the core rules.

I'm going to put the rules themselves as one document (which is Creative Commons license, since Rank20 is a direct port of my old system to a d20 scale instead of 2d6), with a "Using Rank20 with d20" document as a separate pdf (OGL license, since I'll be talking about d20).

Pilsnerquest

First Post
Kensanata, you're right. There will be one campaign setting pushed to the front, with others as "or you could use these" as well. Variety is good.

The campaign that will be "pushed to the front", will it include a world map? It would be really neat to be able to run an adventure in one location on the map and then have the intrepid adventurers board a boat for distand shores and play through kensanata's Asian influenced adventures while being able to have them look at the world map and say, "wow, our characters were here, and now their all the way over here".

Pilsnerquest

greywulf

First Post
Pilsnerquest said:
The campaign that will be "pushed to the front", will it include a world map?

It will if someone makes one and I like it :)

My gut says I'd prefer a locale with a coastline, some islands and the landmass continuing off to two or three edges of the map in an inviting "where does this go?" kinda way. That's why I like The Scarlet Sea as it's spot on in that regards. And there's pirates too. Who doesn't love pirates?

The goal is to have a setting that's OGL friendly with plenty of scope for GMs to fill in the blanks - drop ruins here, site the Dungeon adventure there, detail the City of Blargh to the Northwest and generally make it their own. And let publishers do that too, if they want.

So yep, a world map with lots of inspirational goodness could work too.

Darrell

First Post
greywulf said:
My gut says I'd prefer a locale with a coastline, some islands and the landmass continuing off to two or three edges of the map in an inviting "where does this go?" kinda way.

Well, if you have a look at the map I posted earlier, that's pretty much what you're gonna get with my Dragonclaw Barony setting. Major cities and towns will be tagged, along with a few fortresses and known adventuring locales, and there'll be a few paragraphs of text describing what lies to the north, south, east, and west (as well as a basic history of the area), but I'm primarily leaving it open for DM development.

greywulf said:
The goal is to have a setting that's OGL friendly with plenty of scope for GMs to fill in the blanks - drop ruins here, site the Dungeon adventure there, detail the City of Blargh to the Northwest and generally make it their own. And let publishers do that too, if they want.

Again, that's just what I'm working on. :)

Regards,
Darrell

Ry

Explorer
Any chance the setting fluff could be Creative Commons, with stats in an OGL document? Creative Commons fluff is OGL friendly, but that way non-OGL games don't get tripped up if they want to put out other stats for the setting, and nobody gets tripped up offering ideas for it community-style.

greywulf

First Post
Darrell: Sounds (and looks) great so far!

Rycanada: Definitely. I'm going to think hard about how to differentiate the two using boxed text, a differnet font, or whatever. We need to be clear which is which. Given a choice I'd make it all CC, but as we're already using OGL for the rules, then that's the way the rules have to go :)

Ry

Explorer
I'm actually finding it easier to write to a non-gamer audience, so bear with me. The Rank20 pdf will be longer than Microlite20, but it will have nice friendly 12-size fonts and explanations for newbies.

greywulf

First Post
eyebeams, thanks for editing the wiki, much appreciated.

Quick20 is right at the top of my to-buy list. I'm itching to see how you've managed what Microlite20 is merely aspiring to be - a fast, lite d20 system without all the baggage of core D&D slowing it down. Long may you continue!

Here in the uk it's 2am, and time for bed.

'night all :)

Remove ads