Modern PF - Rules/Possible Game Discussion CANCELED

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Got this...

Modern PF

from @Walking Dad

I have been to the site and looked some things over and it is interesting, but there must be something nagging at me to not say the rules are great and I would run a game right off.

First: There is no mention of races, or an adaptation on them. Now of course everyone should be human and thus have those abilities but maybe a look at where the character is from to give them a crunch difference from each other.

Second: There is only seven different archtypes and of those I think they could have broken things down a bit more. Also they list 10 things they can train in for each class and a character gets 10 training upgrades. So there telling me every Engineer, every Soldier is the same in the end? I know you could take a Talent instead to mix it up but you get 10 Talents by level 20 also (and there are 46 of those) and the Trainings are what make the class.

I think maybe breaking down the "career goals" of a certain archtype might be better.

Examples:
Soldier - Grunt, Commander, Intelligence Officer, Special Forces
Engineer - Mechanic, Structural, Inventor
Infiltrator - Spy, Burglar, Con-Man

The road you go down wouldn't mean you can't train in other things but would make certain things easier than others.

Third: They seem to refer to the Factions guide a lot and mention rules I'm not clear on like Fame and Prestige.

All and all they aren't bad just looks like they haven't had much playtesting to get the bugs out.

HM

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Now with all the above said I was super excited when I tried to think of a game/setting to play. With the rules you could do just about anything.

You could be detectives, navy seals, thieves(Ocean's 11), just about anything.

You could play in any type of world based on a TV series or Movie.

Fallen Skies
Walking Dead
Battle LA
I am Legend

So I am excited to try a game. Or just make up characters and run through some scenarios.

HM

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
This looks really cool, if you do start a game with it, I'd be very interested in playing. After next week I'm going to get on my normal-ish summer schedule (assuming I don't have to work) so I should be able to post regularly.

GM

Walking Dad

First Post
Hi, and thanks for mentioning me in the first post :)

The system is a Pathfinder adaption of this:
d20 Modern System Reference Document

For limited training choices see the cross-training talent.

IMHO, Fame, Prestige and other optional parts are of questionable worth and can be safely ignored.

The bonus to fame from traits are a secondary addition and pay homage to modern d20's reputation score (which I used neither ;)).

Shayuri

First Post
You know what'd be fun?

An RPG along the thematic lines of the show Leverage.

Basically 'heist-movie' style antics, but in pursuit of otherwise-unattainable justice (and of course, hefty sums of self-interest).

Walking Dad

First Post
You know there is an official Cortex Plus based RPG of the show? I even asked for interest on these forum. I doubt standard modern rules would be able to catch he feeling of the show. But I also love surprises in this regard.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Never saw the show but will goggle it.

Until then what does everyone think of making characters for some scenario test runs?

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Since Zombies are in the Bestiary and wouldn't take much work to do, why not. :)

We can play a rescue scenario. Group needs to infiltrate a low level government facility to rescue a trapped science team.

Would need a computer expert along with the usual suspects.

HM

Walking Dad

First Post
I love zombie scenarios :)
The computer geek could also be a NPC we have to defend during the intrusion. Or do you have already a specific roll for him?
Also, which level shall we start? 1st seems a bit low for people getting hired a job like this one.

Remove ads