Mongoose 3.0/3.5 Grand Archive - Any Interest?

TheLe

First Post
MongooseMatt said:
We have never used this character - we would be happy to donate him too to this project.

Its still an awfully ambiguous name that adds complexity, for marketing purposes.

What do you prefer to tell people:

"Just to go the 3r OGL Wiki" or "Just go to Dr Blottenberger's wiki".

xmanii

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
I apologize for going off topic but I have a question for Michelle.

Is there a good "visual wiki" such as DMs might use to collaborate on world design?

In other words, I want to be able to lay out a map composed of hexes, then allow DMs to click on a hex, edit its contents (both graphically as well as adding text description), as well as add new hexes around the edges of the map.

I assume as both a roleplayer and a wikimaster you can probably grok what I am looking for without me belaboring the point.

Any help? Maybe email me offline?

Now that would rock!

Alzrius said:
The website seems to be coming along nicely!

I wanted to mention, however, that wikis made over on Wikia (www.wikia.com) seem to get more attention these days. Is it worth considering having them host the OGC Wiki?

What gets attention (and thus traffic) is SEO, organization, and activity. It's true that some wiki hosts get more than others due to the type of content they feature. It's also true that part of my job at Wetpaint is to handle which sites we feature and promote, adding to SEO. If you guys choose to use Wetpaint, I will help with that. Again, we'll also devote resources to copy/paste efforts from the files and cross-link building. We might even be able to help out with a custom URL.

But yeah. Neither the current name nor the URL the Wikidot site has are going to get you any traffic. :) Which is not to say that can't be fixed, but they're not really searchable terms.

Last edited:

Feanor Liberius

First Post
Michelle Lyons said:
Neither the current name nor the URL the Wikidot site has are going to get you any traffic. :)
It's almost as if you need a haven for this material. Like a haven for d20 stuff. Almost like a d20 Haven. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

James J. Skach said:
It's almost as if you need a haven for this material. Like a haven for d20 stuff. Almost like a d20 Haven. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It would be great if you set up a wiki at D20Haven.com. Even if this other wiki ends up being posted..it's still all D20 Open Gaming Content, so there's no reason it couldn't exist in more than archive.

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
TheLe said:
Its still an awfully ambiguous name that adds complexity, for marketing purposes.

What do you prefer to tell people:

"Just to go the 3r OGL Wiki" or "Just go to Dr Blottenberger's wiki".
I wouldn't have clicked on this thread if it had been titled "Mongoose's Dr Blottenberger's Wiki". "Grand Wiki" is good and generic. "Dr Blottenberger's" is not.

Just for reference, I thought I'd post to a couple of our larger wikis so you can see what can be done.

http://www.kerrydalestreet.com/
This is a site for the Celtic FC, devoted to lovingly documenting the entire history of the Celtic FC and everything tied to it. It is a large, extensive site.

http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/
Not the largest wiki out there, but a good general reference and just a fun site overall.

http://supernaturalfanwiki.wetpaint.com/
This is a fan site for the show applied to a wiki basis. It is also massive and has a large community as well.

If you are used to wiki markup and really want that, then Wetpaint isn't the best platform. It is absolutely the best for maintaining the site and engaging the community long-term, however, especially if you will not necessarily continue to have a wiki-markup knowledgable team to maintain the site once the data migration is done. It can make the wiki more than just a static text resource, easily accessible to the community as a whole.

Aaaand now I've done a sufficient level of pitching, I think. Just had to chime in one more time, and now I think I'll be done. :)

Remove ads