• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk HP rather than Wis Defense bonus

Albert_Fish

First Post
I wanted to ditch the Monk's Wisdome based Dodge Bonus in lieu of more Hitpoints. so how many hit points would a point of AC bwe worth? i figure 8 would be suitable. but should it be more? if i dump the Wis AC bonus for added HP i will allow monks to use any non-metalic armour.

Albert_Fish

First Post
i think you misunderstand. I want to dump that ability all together for additional hitpoints ( a static number of them, to be precise). Basically i am looking to create a pugilist class for a more modern campaign.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
In my campaign, I use a class-based defense bonus and wounds/vitality, so monks had to undergo a bit of a conversion to balance their AC. Instead of adding Wis + level bonuses to their AC, I add that figure to their wound points.

Now, since wounds and vitality are basically worth the same on a 1-for-1 basis in all cases except healing, that means that it would have been just as balanced to call them extra vitality points, or in terms of standard D&D, extra hit points. So if I were you, I'd just add your pugilist's straight wisdom bonus + level bonus to his HP.

Albert_Fish

First Post
Jack, i usea similar system, but one wherein critical hits and certain called shots effect wounds/Hp Directly, bypassing vitality. (based off of Ken Hood's Grim-N-Gritty rules). i guess converting AC bonus points directly to HP/wounds will work just fine, thanks (i am not much of one for rules balance or playability).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads