• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ms Marvel (spoilers)

Hex08

Hero
I really wasn't expecting to like the show but it was better than I thought. I didn't care for the parents though. The serious parents who try to dissuade their kid from embracing their artistic tendencies fell flat for me. My only other issue was the FX for Kamala's powers, it just looked off to me.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I really wasn't expecting to like the show but it was better than I thought. I didn't care for the parents though. The serious parents who try to dissuade their kid from embracing their artistic tendencies fell flat for me. My only other issue was the FX for Kamala's powers, the just looked off to me.
Yeah, this show is better than I was expecting. As was said earlier, the only part I cringed at was the whole Ant-Man head and giant Mjölnir scene.

However, about the parents, I think that's the point. You're not supposed to like them. Although I did feel kind of bad for the father after he dressed up as the Hulk.

pukunui

Legend
I enjoyed it. My 16 year-old thinks it’s aimed at younger kids, even though the main character is 16 and going through similar life stages (like learning how to drive). She said it was “too simple and cliché” although she liked the inclusivity of it. I haven’t polled my younger two yet.

EDIT: Who were those people in the credits scene? The man looked like he was wearing a cop badge.

Last edited:

Mezuka

Hero
16 year old girl caught in household with traditional family values of the 50s survives by using her imagination. The mother knows the granny's secret. Probably tried being a super at a young age. Or hates her mother for never being there because she was out saving the world.

Not for me.

pukunui

Legend
OK so my 10 yo and almost 14 yo both enjoyed the first episode but didn't have as much to say about it as their oldest sister did.

It would appear that in my household at least, WandaVision, Hawkeye, and Moon Knight are the three best MCU shows so far. Loki gets an honorable mention. We'll have to wait and see where this one sits once it's finished.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm running a Masks: A New Generation game, it's a PbtA game about teen super teams. What we've seen from this show would fit right in. One of the playbooks is The Janus, who is very much trying to balance the secret and heroic aspects of their life. And the first episode of Ms. Marvel hit that right on. I haven't read the comics, but watching the 5 minute D+ intro to the show says that in the comics she needs to deal with a lot of teen-aged issues, like dating and grades and such - that very much fits Masks.

Another playbook which may be applicable is The Nova, about someone who has great power but has issues controlling it and is sometimes a menace or causes collateral damage because of that.

Hex08

Hero
Yeah, this show is better than I was expecting. As was said earlier, the only part I cringed at was the whole Ant-Man head and giant Mjölnir scene.

However, about the parents, I think that's the point. You're not supposed to like them. Although I did feel kind of bad for the father after he dressed up as the Hulk.
It wasn't so much that I didn't like them, it was more that it's a really old trope that just seemed lazy to me.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It wasn't so much that I didn't like them, it was more that it's a really old trope that just seemed lazy to me.
It's a very similar trope used in D+'s Turning Red, which is also recent. In Turning Red I've personally experienced helicopter parents who meet that stereotype. I wonder if these stereotypes are also around for certain cultures, as opposed to only assigning them to 50s Americana.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
It's a very similar trope used in D+'s Turning Red, which is also recent. In Turning Red I've personally experienced helicopter parents who meet that stereotype. I wonder if these stereotypes are also around for certain cultures, as opposed to only assigning them to 50s Americana.

I did wonder about that too, and saw an interview where the Ms Marvel creator Sana Amanat (born 1982) said she drew her inspiration from her own life as a Pakistani American teenager in the 90s. The show writer Bisha Ali was born 1989 (so now 33) - so yeah maybe the Pakistani mother trope is 20 -30 years old because the writers are drawing on their memories rather than whats contemporary in 2022

but I dunno, Im not a Pakistani American mother

Remove ads