• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ms Marvel (spoilers)

Mezuka

Hero
I did wonder about that too, and saw an interview where the Ms Marvel creator Sana Amanat (born 1982) said she drew her inspiration from her own life as a Pakistani American teenager in the 90s. The show writer Bisha Ali was born 1989 (so now 33) - so yeah maybe the Pakistani mother trope is 20 -30 years old because the writers are drawing on their memories rather than whats contemporary in 2022

but I dunno, Im not a Pakistani American mother
They are not far off the mark IMHO. There is a lot of conservatism still today in Pakistani and Indian families. We see many examples in the International news. Just a few weeks ago parents in India are sewing their son because he has not given them a grandson after 5 (?) years. They want the cost of the marriage reimbursed IIRC. The wife is a businesswoman she doesn't want kids.

In fact, I would say conservatism is how most of the world's population lives today.

It's a very similar trope used in D+'s Turning Red, which is also recent. In Turning Red I've personally experienced helicopter parents who meet that stereotype. I wonder if these stereotypes are also around for certain cultures, as opposed to only assigning them to 50s Americana.
I'm a teacher, I see plenty of helicopter parents. I don't know about 1950s America, but it's very common in 2020s London.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
It wasn't so much that I didn't like them, it was more that it's a really old trope that just seemed lazy to me.
Is it a trope if it's extrapolated from the writer's experiences?
From a meta perspective, sure, it's a trope. We recognize the somewhat overbearing parents and can probably look at examples around us in other media and our personal lives. But from an individual work in which an author has invested some of themselves? I'm not entirely sure I'd be very keen on having my life's truths reduced to being "lazy tropes".

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It wasn't so much that I didn't like them, it was more that it's a really old trope that just seemed lazy to me.
I saw a lot of Islamic people on Reddit complaining that the parents weren't strict enough. So I'm fine with the trope, even if it has been a bit overdone in a lot of media. It still is relevant and apparently fairly accurate today.

However, it being accurate doesn't mean that it's enjoyable to watch. So I understand still if the fact that it's accurate still isn't compelling to you.

p_johnston

Adventurer
So far it seems really fun. First thought is that someone making this really liked The Mitchells vs the Machines (which isn't a criticism). Looking forward to the rest of the series to see if it holds up.

Hex08

Hero
Is it a trope if it's extrapolated from the writer's experiences?
From a meta perspective, sure, it's a trope. We recognize the somewhat overbearing parents and can probably look at examples around us in other media and our personal lives. But from an individual work in which an author has invested some of themselves? I'm not entirely sure I'd be very keen on having my life's truths reduced to being "lazy tropes".
It's only the first episode so we will see what changes but if you are willing to put your life's truths on a TV show then expect it to be reduced. TV/movies aren't about realism, this is fictionalized TV and not real life. Most viewers aren't going to read interviews by the writer and understand that the characters are based on the writer's life experiences, nor should they be expected to.

Don't misinterpret what I said, I enjoyed the show. I just found the parents to be caricatures rather than fully realized characters, especially the mother. I'm not even saying that helicopter parents don't exist but the parents, mom especially, had all of the dimension of a single point on a graph. If your experience watching it was different then that is fine but I found them boring.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
I suppose we’ll eventually find out about those creepy purple people in the otherworld Kamala first went into after gaining her powers, right?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads