D&D 5E Multiclass Wizard/Cleric

KnikKnak

First Post
It's in the Spells Known and Prepared and Spell Slots section of page 164 of the PHB.
"You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually as if you were a single class member of that class."

The language is made clearer by their example of the Ranger 4/Wizard 3, who is effectively a 5th level spell caster but does not have any third level spells in their spell book, only two 2nd level spells.
RAW I believe OP is correct, as the example does not address a language issue in PHB. Clerics can prepare spells up to any level they have spell slots for (PHB pg. 58) Wizards can copy into their spell book and memorize any wizard spell they have spell slots for (PHB pg. 114). So, as the mulit-class table shows on page 164, a 10th level wizard and a 5th level cleric would have spell slots of up to 8th level. Per class descriptions, even if prepared individually, they can memorize and prepare spells of up to 8th level. The wizard would have to hunt down spells to copy of that level, but the kind of spells slots are not delineated in the cleric and wizard class descriptions, allowing them to prepare higher level spells. The ranger/wizard is a bad example, as spells known vs. spells prepared and one being a secondary caster complicates it.

That being said, no one plays that way, I've never played that way, and it is probably not intended to be played that way, but I do think, when interpreted in a very "letter of the law, rules lawyer" sort of way, OP is absolutely right: clerics and wizards do not lose out on casting power, just on special abilities.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
RAW I believe OP is correct, as the example does not address a language issue in PHB. Clerics can prepare spells up to any level they have spell slots for (PHB pg. 58) Wizards can copy into their spell book and memorize any wizard spell they have spell slots for (PHB pg. 114). So, as the mulit-class table shows on page 164, a 10th level wizard and a 5th level cleric would have spell slots of up to 8th level. Per class descriptions, even if prepared individually, they can memorize and prepare spells of up to 8th level. The wizard would have to hunt down spells to copy of that level, but the kind of spells slots are not delineated in the cleric and wizard class descriptions, allowing them to prepare higher level spells. The ranger/wizard is a bad example, as spells known vs. spells prepared and one being a secondary caster complicates it.

That being said, no one plays that way, I've never played that way, and it is probably not intended to be played that way, but I do think, when interpreted in a very "letter of the law, rules lawyer" sort of way, OP is absolutely right: clerics and wizards do not lose out on casting power, just on special abilities.
Hello!

3 things

1: welcome to ENworld! This is a fun informative place, and I hope you enjoy it.

2: This is incorrect, as is clearly laid out in the PHB and as others had pointed out earlier in the thread:

You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class.
If you are a ranger 4/wizard 3, for example, you know three 1st-level ranger spells based on your levels in the ranger class. As 3rd-level wizard, you know three wizard cantrips, and your spellbook contains ten wizard spells, two of which (the two you gained when you reached 3rd level as a wizard) can be 2nd-level spells. If your Intelligence is 16, you can prepare six wizard spells from your spellbook.

Note how this character cannot cast 3rd level spells, even though they are the equivalent of a 3rd level caster.

The higher level spell slots can be used to "upcast" lower level spells, so they aren't lost entirely.

3: This thread is 4 years old, and you have performed what is called " thread necromancy", bringing an old discussion back to life. Some people might poke a little fun at that, but don't worry, it happens.

My suggestion is to use the archivist from 3.5 "Heroes of Horror" as source of inspiration, and the class feature to craft single-use magic item (potions, talismans, runes, tatoos). I suposse this wouldn't break the power balance.

Remove ads