• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My World's Dwarves

sniffles

First Post
I really enjoyed your writeup of the dwarves, especially the matrilocal and polyandrous aspects of their society. The forms of address were nice too, although it would be good to see the same for females - even if they don't get out much.

I've often thought that one of the worst forms of punishment for a dwarf would be to be shaved completely bald. I never understand why mini manufacturers make bald dwarves. It's just wrong!! :)

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
To get the titanborn template, do you have to take titanborn levels? Or do dwarves get the template automatically? I recall you saying that dwarves are (short) giants in another thread, but I don't see reference to that here.

the Jester

Legend
Raven, one of these days I'm going to take a trip up your way just to sit in on a game or two. :)

I like your take on dwarves- I guess they are of the giant type, eh? It's a very original idea.

I'll throw out a bit of dwarf-trivia from my campaign: The dwarven alphabet is composed of 'hard' and 'soft' letters. Dwarven names always start with a 'hard' letter (B, D, G, J, K, P, ST, T, Z, hard TH (them not thing)? something like that... idhmbifom)

Lord Morte

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
dwarves are (short) giants.

Dwarves... are... short... Giants... argh! That is just plain brilliant! Scary brilliant ;)
I like the whole thing, and I agree with sniffles that the polyandrous and matrilocal elements are especially good, as they provide a different flavour to dwarven society. I really like the story about the Three Brothers as well, as an explanation for the various different types of dwarves is a useful thing to have.

Krug

Newshound
Majorly cool. :) Especially this:
Dwarves are polyandrous; a dwarven woman may take several husbands, all of who become “brothers” through marriage.

Tricky situation come bedtime I would think.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Krug said:
Majorly cool. :) Especially this:
Dwarves are polyandrous; a dwarven woman may take several husbands, all of who become “brothers” through marriage.

Tricky situation come bedtime I would think.

Ever read Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? One of the premises is that (for various reasons) the human population of the lunar colonies is short of females. Unusual forms of marriage abound.

Silmarillius

First Post
Hey Raven,

This is that guy who runs the Star Wars RPG and plays in your Lakelands game. Anyways, I would ask you this question in person, but I felt other people would like to know. Recalling your original SRD (the short one) you had Low Dwarven languages. Now you've meantioned High Dwarves in Bonus Languages for Titan Born. I was curious as to whether you could explain about these two types of languages, whether they just are languages or there are actually these types of dwarves living in our game.

Silmarillius

PS: I'm liking the fables that your adding. Make this two, counting "The Monkey and the Dung Beetle."

Remove ads