Need help with a Warlock build.

was

Adventurer
Hmm...how about...
Stats
Str. 12 (4pts)..reason: give you at least some attack bonus at first level.
Dex. 14 (6pts)..reason: limited to light armor.
Con. 14 (6pts)..reason: only d6 for hit die.
Int. 12 (4pts)..reason: only 2 skill points per level, 2+int.+human = 4 total
Wis. 10 (2pts)..reason: good will. saves, limited class skills relying on this stat.
Cha. 15 (8pts)..reason: prime requisite..suggest raise to 16 at 4th level.
Base Attack Bonus = +0
Saves
Fort.: +2 (Con.)
Ref.: +2 (Dex.)
Will.: +2 (Base)
Skills: 16 points (2 + Int. x 4 +4 human)
Concentrate: 3 ranks + 2 Con = +5 total.
Jump: 2 ranks + 1 Str. = +5 total.
Knowledge (arcana): 2 ranks + 1 Int. = +3 total.
Sense Motive: 1 rank + 0 Wis. = +1 total.
Spellcraft: 2 ranks + 1 Int. = +3 total.
Use Magic Device: 2 ranks + 2 Cha. = +4 total.
cross-class skill: Spot: 2 ranks + 0 Wis. = +2 total.
Feats
There's a number of things you might pick up here. I'd pick up the Battle Caster feat which allows you to wear medium armors and cast without penalties. But that's because I lose a lot of first level characters to the odd kobold or goblin scoring a critical hit.
Invocations
I'd pick either Hideous Blow so that you can channel your eldritch blast into a melee weapon if forced into close combat (AoO's on normal blast) or Spider Walk just because I think it's cool.
-Anyways,that's just my quick 2 cents worth..I hope that it will get you started..Everything is out of the Complete Arcane...I'm sure some other folks here have more suggestions...Most will probably be better than mine...

Last edited:

Slobber Monster

First Post
I reccomend maxing out Use Magic Device. In fact, I'd probably be tempted to take Skill Focus (UMD) at 3rd or 6th level. Having automatic success (via take 10) with every Divine or Arcane scroll you can afford is pretty huge, especially if you're the primary caster in the group.

drunkmoogle

First Post
What level? With appropriate gear?

Anyways, here's a recent warlock i made at level 8. Necrolock. 32PB, so just shave 2 points off of somewhere.

STR 8
DEX 16 (+2 @4/8, +2 Gloves)
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 12
CHA 16 (+2 Cloak)

Feats:
1) Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
3) Obtain Familiar*
6) Maximize SLA(Eldritch Blast)
*Unearthed Arcana Necromacer Variant: Human Warrior Skeleton

Skills: UMD 11 (+4 CHA) - Take10: 25. (Use 5th level caster scrolls w/o failure)
K(Arcana) 5
17 Skill points.

Invocations:
See the Unseen
Dark One's Own Luck
Eldritch Spear
Entropic Warding
The Dead Walk
Brimstone Blast

Gear:
Vest of Resistance +1
Chausible of Felll Power
Chain Shirt +1
Ring of Protection +1
Gloves of Dexterity +2
Cloak of Charisma +2
Wand of Cure Light Wounds
Wand of Inflict Light Wounds
2,400GP left for one-shot items.

drunkmoogle

First Post
Oh, and Scribe Scroll at 12th level. IMO, the Warlock pretty much has his 1st, 6th, and 12th feats already picked out, as well as one skill. Use your UMD to activate scrolls of spells your party doesn't have access to (i.e. barkskin for a group without a druid, bless for one without a cleric). Make sure everything stacks.

Eldritch blast is something you'll almost always be doing. Personally, I like increasing its damage moreso than status effects. I find eldritch chain isn't worth it until you hit 10th and have a decent essence. Utterdark blast is uber, and it also allows you to heal undead (if you choose that route) whenever there's downtime. I don't like any blast shape with a REF save.

Don't forget that undead keep the proficiencies of the base creature. Give your undead the hand-me-downs from the party. A large or bigger undead makes for great battlefield control in an open area, but is a liability in crowded areas. I'd typically stick with Medium Humanoids (for the gear).

Azaar

Explorer
I'm actually tinkering with a Warlock/Chameleon build (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=115037), myself. I couldn't really decide which direction to go for the 10th level party I'll be joining, so I figured I'd go for most all of them. Nice of WoTC to make all the skill requirements for the Chameleon PrC class skills for the Warlock.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Warlock 6/Chameleon 4. 3 least invocations, 1 lesser invocation, eldritch blast 3d6, plus Deceive Item, just off my warlock levels. Then there's the capacity for being virtually any of the core classes, adding further to my versatility. In a party that needs all the versatility it can get, I think this is a build that will do the trick quite nicely.

Slobber Monster

First Post
I almost forgot - you'll also want at least 5 ranks of Spellcraft for the UMD synergy when using scrolls.

6th Lvl Warlock with 16 Cha, maxed UMD, Skill Focus(UMD), 5 ranks of Spellcraft = 9+3+3+2 = 17, enough to take 10 with any 4th level scroll!

RigaMortus

Explorer
Thanks for all your advice... Here is the current build I am working with at the moment.

Str 12 +1
Dex 15 +2
Con 14 +2
Int 12 +1
Wis 10 +0
Cha 14 +2

Skills: Concentration 6 (4 Ranks, +2 Con), Knowledge (Arcana) +5 (4 Ranks, +1 Int),
Spell Craft +5 (4 Ranks, +1 Int), Use Magic Device +6 (4 Ranks, +2 Cha)

Feats
(Human) Point Blank Shot
(1) Precise Shot
(3) Sudden Still Spell
(6) Maximize Spell-like Ability (EB)
(9) Fly-by Attack
(12) Quicken Spell-like Ability (EB)
(15) Extra Invocation (Voracious Dispelling)
(18) Extra Invocation (Wall of Perilous Flame)

Invocations
(Warlock Level 1) Entropic Warding
(Warlock Level 2) Eldritch Spear
(Warlock Level 4) See the Unseen
(Warlock Level 6) Flee the Scene
(Warlock Level 8) Fell Flight
(Warlock Level 10) Eldritch Chain
(Warlock Level 11) Repelling Blast
(Warlock Level 13) Vitrolic Blast
(Warlock Level 15) Devour Magic
(Extra Invocation Level 15) Voracious Dispelling
(Warlock Level 16) Retributive Invisibility
(Warlock Level 18) Dark Discorporation
(Extra Invocation Level 18) Wall of Perilous Flame
(Warlock Level 20) Utterdark Blast

My primary use for this build is one for crowd control. He can use Eldritch Chain and Repelling Blast to knock 1 - 4 enemies back. Wall of Perilous Flame (which I won't get until much later in levels) will help break up enemies. The only invocation I have which relies on a saving throw (thus relies on a decent Charisma) is Repelling Blast.

Sudden Still Spell I will use with Flee the Scene in the event I get grappled.

Vitrolic Blast I took to get through any spell resistance.

Later in levels, I may get rid of Entropic Warding and pick up Devil's Sight. I think Entropic Warding will be good at early levels to prevent ranged attacks. Once I get Retributive Invisibility, I won't have much need for it.

I want both Devour Magic, which can be used at range, as well as Voracious Dispelling which is a higher level dispel, but with a range of touch.

I plan on taking Fly-by Attack so I can fly out from cover, use an invocation or Eldritch blast, then fly back it cover. Fly-by Attack grants a Standard Action in between a Move action (for those that don't know).

My only concerns are the way my ability points are distributed, and any must have feats I may be missing.

Thoughts?

Remove ads