New Doctor to be announced on Sunday

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If they continue with the erratic scheduling I don't think the show will make it and that this MAY just be a gimmick to counter issues with the production these last few years.

It's pretty typical British scheduling. Don't worry about it. It's managed 50 years. :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
You'd have never survived the 15 year hiatus that the rest of us had to endure.
(old fart rant) :) Oh, you would be surprised. Grew up where Dr. Who was on PBS, would skip season and Doctors, would be dropped for years at a time. Survived them, it is not like it is Game of Thrones. :) (end old fart rant)

Ryujin

Legend
(old fart rant) :) Oh, you would be surprised. Grew up where Dr. Who was on PBS, would skip season and Doctors, would be dropped for years at a time. Survived them, it is not like it is Game of Thrones. :) (end old fart rant)

Then a year should be a walk in the park ;)

I had the benefit of picking it up with the Third Doctor (Pertwee) in the mid-'70s, through a combination of OECA (Ontario Educational Communications Authority) and WNED (PBS Channel 17) out of New York State. It carried on virtually uninterrupted until the end of the original run.

Obryn

Hero
It's pretty typical British scheduling. Don't worry about it. It's managed 50 years. :)
Yeah, but we here in 'Murica are used to regular scheduling on our teevee. :)

We cut our cable a few years back, so now I need to hunt around and catch up on the past few seasons. I couldn't keep track of the scheduling, either, with the spotty releases and various hiatuses.

I loved Whitaker in Broadchurch. I, too, wish it had been Colman - my wife wishes this even moreso than me - but I can totally get behind her and give the new showrunner a shot, too. (FYI - Ars Technica is saying, unsourced, that Colman was offered the job first, but declined. There's no corroboration for this, so I'd take that with a grain of salt.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, but we here in 'Murica are used to regular scheduling on our teevee. :)

And yet, even so, it's managed 50 years. I'm pretty sure the BBC is mainly concerned about domestic viewing figures, not international (though the latter are nice icing on the cake).

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Not familiar with the actress but I figured they were going to make the Doc a woman coming up. I'll check out the debut episode and give it a shot. This season just fell apart for me. I love Peter Capaldi's Doctor up until this season but the writing and focus on Bill did little for me. Moffat was great with his 1-2 gems a year duign the RTD era but as showrunner he was a letdown overall. I haven't watched the last 4 episodes yet but I'm sure I'll get around if only for the Cybermen episodes. I think like all of the revived show episodes it was very hit or miss for me as I just don't care to have a focus around the companion and their family/love life. For me they are just there to give the Doctor someone to explain stuff too.

As much of a Who nut I've been over the past 30 years Its looking like I'll just get my fix from Big Finish. I find their writing and stories more along my lines, along with a lot of really nutty ideas that won't work on a screen.

I'm GOOD with the casting! It sparked a thought - What opportunities does Jodie Whittaker's casting offer for the creative side of Cubicle 7's Doctor Who: RPG? I blogged about my thoughts - the potential to bring in some female creators for the 13th Doctor's sourcebook - but I wonder what other opportunities her tenure will offer?

Thanks

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
EN World Gaming at the Kids’ Table review of Little Wizards

Mallus

Legend
Yet another reason to finally get around to watching Broadchurch...

I admit, I'm a little sad it wasn't Tilda Swinton -- even if it was only for a single episode -- but other than that I say bring on the new Doctor and the post-Moffat era!

(and I say that as someone who still *likes* Moffat a great deal)

Remove ads