New Doctor to be announced on Sunday

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
well it just goes to show just how bloated and ridiculous the US industry is. iirc 250k is about the average BBC salary for a top rated show, although apparently the star of Casualty earns almost 400K.

Chris Evans who recently hosted Top Gear earns 2mil

easy to see why all those British actors want to work in the US...

Eh, it's a just bigger market, lots more advertising dollars. If the actors on successful prime time shows aren't making the big bucks, the networks and producers are, so I don't begrudge actors demanding more money when contract talks come around.

Janx

Hero
Well, it's all relative. If I was earning a quarter million quid a year, I'd consider myself rich!

Good point. on second thought $250 thousand/year is also very good money (I know quid isn't dollars, but for rough comparison).

I hadn't counted the trailing zeroes. :)

How much work do ex-Doctors get afterwards? Could be that money has to fill in the gaps. Though I imagine that playing the Doctor is really a lifetime position. These people will be signing autographs and inspiring youth for the rest of their lives.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I dunno, it was kind of obvious when Missy showed up. They were hinting at changing things up.

The Master: Is the future all girl?

The Doctor: One can only hope so.

Plus Moffat seeded three Time Lord gender changes before The Doctor did it: The Corsair, The General, and The Master.

I dunno, it was kind of obvious when Missy showed up. They were hinting at changing things up.

As Morrus says, there were two other on camera gender flips prior, and a reference to one made during the 11th Doctor's time.
But those were done by the previous showrunner who was uninvolved with the hiring of the latest Doctor.

While the groundwork had been laid, I still didn't think the BBC would let them cast a female Doctor, for a show that really needs a rating boost. Feels like they'd want to play it safe.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Eh, it's a just bigger market, lots more advertising dollars. If the actors on successful prime time shows aren't making the big bucks, the networks and producers are, so I don't begrudge actors demanding more money when contract talks come around.

Well, the BBC has zero advertising dollars. It’s not funded that way. And it does a lot more than most other broadcasters, so that funding is stretched very thin. Other UK channels, such as ITV or Sky, pay far more, but obviously not nearly the amount that US TV pays (some of the most successful shows over here pay its actors up to a million per episode!)

If this doesn't work could we get a 14th Dr within a year.

I'm not sure how many new fans this will actually generate. I believe episode 1 and maybe 2 will get a huge boost for the curiosity factor but if you get any people who leave because of the change then financially will the studio panic?
I'm on the record right now saying that this wont go well. Why

My guess is "new" audience will tune in to see this (probably mostly women) based on the wow factor/history. This will fizzle if stories are slow, special effects are not improved etc. I've stuck to Who for my love of the nostalgia and the universe. I felt Matt Smith gave the franchise the best possible audience as he was young/charming/charismatic and came off happy (a younger Troughton). Really not seeing Whitaker as this. If you lose any die hards due to a less serious tone such as Sarah Jane adventures or she comes off too harshly then its even possible the 13th could be unlucky

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If this doesn't work could we get a 14th Dr within a year.

I'm not sure how many new fans this will actually generate. I believe episode 1 and maybe 2 will get a huge boost for the curiosity factor but if you get any people who leave because of the change then financially will the studio panic?
I'm on the record right now saying that this wont go well. Why

My guess is "new" audience will tune in to see this (probably mostly women) based on the wow factor/history. This will fizzle if stories are slow, special effects are not improved etc. I've stuck to Who for my love of the nostalgia and the universe. I felt Matt Smith gave the franchise the best possible audience as he was young/charming/charismatic and came off happy (a younger Troughton). Really not seeing Whitaker as this. If you lose any die hards due to a less serious tone such as Sarah Jane adventures or she comes off too harshly then its even possible the 13th could be unlucky

I predict the show will pick up a lot of young girls and secure a few more decades of fans. I also think the crusty male die-hards who can't handle it are no real loss. The show needs to look ahead to new, young fans, not rely on 50+ year olds not to die of old age too soon.

Like D&D, really.

Financially, the BBC doesn't work like that. It won't panic, don't worry. It's not a commercial organisation, and has a charter to do things which commercial studios often can't.

Remove ads