New Doctor to be announced on Sunday

Aedistopholes

First Post
I'm excited to see what they do with a female Doctor, I just hope they don't slog it down with tense relationships like Tennant and Rose/Martha. I also hope that the writers aren't a bunch of guys because I don't think that men can properly write a female character without some contribution from an actual woman. Just my opinion on that matter. Looking forward to a new adventure.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm excited to see what they do with a female Doctor, I just hope they don't slog it down with tense relationships like Tennant and Rose/Martha. I also hope that the writers aren't a bunch of guys because I don't think that men can properly write a female character without some contribution from an actual woman. Just my opinion on that matter. Looking forward to a new adventure.

Doctor Who writers are mixed, and on a per-episode basis. The new showrunner is Chris Chibnall who made all three series of Broadchurch. Good writers of either gender can write characters of the opposite gender.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It was never going to be a major movie star! She’s not gonna slum it in Cardiff for 9 months on BBC pay.

Notable movie stars have drifted into TV before. Branagh did 4 series of Wallander. So it's definitely not an unheard of thing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Notable movie stars have drifted into TV before. Branagh did 4 series of Wallander. So it's definitely not an unheard of thing.

Sure. And Luther, and Sherlock, etc.

The difference? They’re super short 3-ep things which don’t take an entire year in Cardiff to film.

Ask Branagh to move to Cardiff for BBC wages for 3 years, and see how fast he can run.

We’re not talking Hollywood money here. US TV shows can attract movie stars. The BBC can’t.

Last edited:

Is her natural hair color red? if so a shame they aren't going with that...because then the doctor would have finally be ginger. One change at a time I guess lol...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So Capaldi's not getting rich off Dr. WHo?

well it just goes to show just how bloated and ridiculous the US industry is. iirc 250k is about the average BBC salary for a top rated show, although apparently the star of Casualty earns almost 400K.

Chris Evans who recently hosted Top Gear earns 2mil

easy to see why all those British actors want to work in the US...

Last edited:

Remove ads