• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New haste on WotC website!

green slime

First Post
MerricB said:

The concept of Partial Actions is not going, only the terminology is changing.

Thanks for clarifying what I thought was painfully obvious...

Of course some people just can't resist making a snide remark.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
hong said:

Ah, Hong, you too!

Mine is closer though ;) - granting the same bonus to attack and AC (so that on two hasted people they cancel out) and, crucially, adding that Ref ST bonus as well.

Even though I've only skimmed through the large thread on google, that was a very interesting conversation for 2 years ago. It just goes to show that there has been very little change in arguments over two years!

For the record, I think the 3.5e haste is a fine spell, because of the large number of people it can effect. It can add +1 attack per friendly combatant (almost always able to get your entire party unless it is very large), which is a great party piece.

I wonder why it shouldn't stack with a sword of speed though? After all, that speed is a +4 equiv enchantment!

Cheers

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Bauglir said:
I think it's horribly underpowered in this form, for a third level spell. Were it second level I might consider memorizing it (but it would be a low priority). It's too strong for first, but is imo a decentish second level spell.

Nah. It affects your whole party. I think it's quite good.

No mass haste - I think it has disappeared.

Last edited:

Quinn

First Post
Hmmm, I think Haste might've swung the other way in terms of power. It seems a little too cautious. While the area of effect has been increased, I don't know why the extra attack only comes into play on full attack actions. I don't think it would be too powerful to allow the extra attack during a standard action. +1 to hit, AC and reflex is good, though I wonder if it could've scaled with caster level to make a bit more useful down the line. All in all, I have to try it before I can make up my mind, but it's definitely a big difference.

Noir

Explorer
wrong

I think the changes to the haste spell are all wrong.
I like the old one, it was overpowered, yes, but it still seemed logical, the new version doesn't.
Why couldn't they just have put it on a higher level, like 5th or so?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
One reason for not making haste affect the Attack action as opposed to the Full Attack action is simply one of clarity.

If you make haste be the one exception to the "only one attack with a standard Attack action", then it confuses people, who want to know the other exceptions. :)

I think keeping "Full Attack" being the only action that allows you to make multiple attacks is extremely desirable.

Cheers!

Dark Dragon

Explorer
MerricB said:

The concept of Partial Actions is not going, only the terminology is changing.

It'll read something like "target can only take a Move or Standard action each round" with something special to take into account Full Actions over two rounds.

That was what I meant (but english is not my native language...). Thanks for clearing the mess up ;)

Number47

First Post
I think the new haste is excellent. Affecting all or most of your group, it will certainly have much more damage-dealing capacity than a fireball, although over a longer time period. Throw into that movement, AC and a Reflex bonus and this is one very nice spell. I think it still goes toward the top of the list of third level spells.

For those who think it should be a second level spell, it would be freakishly overpowered. I mean, look at how much it increases damage done in just the first round after casting. Assuming just two fighter types, they will each get one more swing that has a high likelihood of hitting. The party is at least fifth level (access to third level spells), so maybe another 15 to 20 points per fighter? That's just the first round. It keeps going for 1/round per level.

Remove ads