• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New haste on WotC website!

Quasqueton

First Post
"When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding."

It would be better if they dropped the last phrase:

"When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack."

Otherwise there'll be questions to the Sage about unarmed attacks and two-weapon fighting.

Quasqueton

DiFier

First Post
While, I'm disappointed that the new haste no longer lets you cast two spells in a round. but that of course was overpowered I was hoping that the new haste would. make it so that your extra action gained from the spell had to be an mele attack. that would have made the spell great for spell swords. can still cast true strike and attack in the same round.

I like the fact that it effects more than one person. I'll probablly keep haste as one of the spells in my spellbook. My DM said that if I didn't like the new haste that I could switch it for another 3rd level spell.

SimonMoon5
Bah, a pox on New Haste.

3e Haste wasn't unbalanced. But we don't need to go through that again. I think 3.5 wizards will become the utility characters that every group needs but nobody wants to play since they will now suck in combat. (I'm thinking of something similar to 1e clerics... every group needed them, but nobody wanted to be them. Now, every group needs a teleporting identify machine who can't do squat in combat-- but who on earth would want to be one?)

I have to disagree with you here. Changing haste isn't going to change wizards into utility charachters. not when you have cool spells like fireball or ice burst or cold scream or forceblast. (wizards can't do squat in combat?) plus with 3.5e you can still multiclass and take PrC's.

That aside, I also think a spell that gives everyone a puny +1 bonus to several things is a horrible bookkeeping nightmare for something that's relatively insignificant (being only a +1 bonus).

You mean like bless or prayer?

melkoriii

First Post
They also may add a higher lvl spell that acts like old Haste but giveing a second action that can not be used to cast a spell.
maybe 6th or 7th lvl.

mattcolville

Adventurer
I have no problem with the new Haste. I've got a 14th level Enchanter who's as twinked as you can get, and I always cast Haste on our Paladin, for no reason other than granting him the extra attack. Which the new Haste still does.

Mind you, I had boots of speed, but I've still got Simbul's Spell Matrix, which is pretty keen.

drnuncheon

Explorer
DiFier said:
While, I'm disappointed that the new haste no longer lets you cast two spells in a round. but that of course was overpowered I was hoping that the new haste would. make it so that your extra action gained from the spell had to be an mele attack. that would have made the spell great for spell swords. can still cast true strike and attack in the same round.

I like the fact that it effects more than one person. I'll probablly keep haste as one of the spells in my spellbook. My DM said that if I didn't like the new haste that I could switch it for another 3rd level spell.

Mind you, we never really had the haste problems that a lot of people seem to. I'm not sure if that's because of the fact that your character is not a pure spellcaster, the loss of caster levels from multiclassing, or a lack of desire to always repeat the same tactic because you guys know that I'll turn it back on you. ;)

It could also be because I tend to throw plenty of combats at you guys before giving you a chance to rest - meaning that if you use haste and fire off all your spells in the first one, you'll be hurting later on.

It might be different if you had sorcerer levels rather than wizard, too.

J

kenjib

First Post
Still looks like the most powerful 3rd level spell on the wiz/src list. I do like how it's more useful for fighter types now, rather than being almost solely a spellcaster self-buff.

Grog

First Post
The old Haste was too powerful, but the new one is way too weak. I can't see a sorceror ever taking this spell now. The biggest problem I see is that is has virtually no benefit for spellcasters. I like the new Haste that was talked about here before - affects one target, still gives the +4 haste bonus to AC, and grants an extra move-equivalent action. That, at least, still has some use for spellcasters. That's probably the version I'll be using IMC.

Oh, and to the guy who said wizards are useless in combat: :rolleyes:

Stalker0

Legend
Quinn said:

I don't see how making Haste's extra attack only work on Full Attack actions make the spell any clearer. In fact, I think it does the exact opposite. It's far easier to say while under the spell's effect, you always receive an extra attack whenever you make an another attack (be it a standard attack action or a full attack action). Making a distinction is what causes the confusion.

What always confused me was how a 20th level monk who can get 6 attacks in a full round would get less attacks then joe shmoe commoner with haste when both were charging.

Haste means faster- it doesn't mean that much faster.

Remove ads