NEW Immortals Handbook - Ascension thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Upper_Krust said:
Thanks for that, and thanks to Alzrius (and others, some via email) for their continued help with the editing. I have been working on Ascension to take my mind off other things and the errata is one area thats easiest to keep my concentration on. Been really struggling these past few days but I hope past the worst of it now. :eek:

I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling U_K, and I'm glad I could help at all, even if only a little.

That said, what's the answer for my question regarding Surtur's Transcendental abilities gained via not having artifacts? Do we calculate the exact number of divine abilities each artifact it worth (1 divine ability per +1 ECL of the artifacts not used)? Or is it just 1 esoteric ability per artifact? I ask because I'm writing up a First One character with only two artifacts, and knowing how to calculate the worth of the two not used in terms of divine abilities will make a big difference.

Hiya mate! :)

Alzrius said:
I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling U_K, and I'm glad I could help at all, even if only a little.

Thanks dude, don't think I have been this depressed in all my (certainly adult) life. Its just totally knocked the stuffing out of me. But I'll get over it.

Alzrius said:
That said, what's the answer for my question regarding Surtur's Transcendental abilities gained via not having artifacts? Do we calculate the exact number of divine abilities each artifact it worth (1 divine ability per +1 ECL of the artifacts not used)? Or is it just 1 esoteric ability per artifact? I ask because I'm writing up a First One character with only two artifacts, and knowing how to calculate the worth of the two not used in terms of divine abilities will make a big difference.

Each individual artifact should be roughly worth a number of Divine Abilities equal to the being's Divine Rank.

e.g. So with Surtur's Divine Rank 24, two missing Artifacts could be would be worth 48 divine abilities, or 1 Transcendental and 2 Cosmic (always better to use the fewest number of abilities to fill the space).

Upper_Krust said:
Hi Ltheb mate! :)
Yes I think a number of things threw my initial math off (Diminishing returns from multiple weaker foes and the character class imbalance), 3.5 can be a tad complex at times. ;)

Well just remember you could change the Sword portfolio to an Axe portfolio or Hammer portfolio to better suit the dwarf (not sure if thats needed of course, just saying).

Cool character...and oddly enough you just indirectly gave me an idea for a new monster power.

...and of course with the double fire portfolio you cannot block his fire damage.

Indeed.

Thanks for that, and thanks to Alzrius (and others, some via email) for their continued help with the editing. I have been working on Ascension to take my mind off other things and the errata is one area thats easiest to keep my concentration on. Been really struggling these past few days but I hope past the worst of it now. :eek:

Actually it is the Sword Portfolio; In a previous adventure he obtained an awesomely powerful sword that is soul-bound only to him; (Cursed so that he is the only being who can wield it, but it is also the only weapon he can wield) It was thrown together a bit before Immortals rules so Conversion is a bit of a pain. (A bit overpowered for his level) 'Twas a sword from another universe (a benifit unto itself) forged from what would equate to undimensional energy. It was sort of like a life-drinker, but it GAVE levels to the wielder Permanently, although it capped his advancement at 3x his original HD. I was thinking during his divine ascension he would have found away to strip himself of that limitation which would in turn weaken the artifact somewhat.

And yes, his taking the Double Fire Portfolio is the only reason the other player's character is playable; Ever try playing a 'fire mage' in regular D&D? Doesn't work well after about 15th level, unless you really cheese it. (Everything at that point is immune to fire; including some ice monsters) He's going to be throwing lots of Fire damage; that I fully expect. (70D6 Fiery breath if I am not mistaken, and he has Telluric and Vengeful as well, so he can just nuke the crap out of anything that doesn't massacre him first) But the Monk punches for something Pitiful like 32 damage plus like 1 pt of Telluric Con Drain. (7 some-odd attacks per round)

As for releasing it in Febuary; A friend of mine, who for some bizzaro reason didn't understand for 2 years how useful Ascension would be to him, was really interested in it when he saw how much easier it was to do hash together a deity from concept to raw stats. He'd probably prefer to see it in print (as would I :)) if only because I don't think he shops online much.

Hey guys,

a weird thing happened last night one minute I was saddled with the melancholy of the past five days and next thing I knew...I wasn't. I still can't explain it but I seem to be okay again *fingers crossed*...go figure. :confused:

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Actually it is the Sword Portfolio; In a previous adventure he obtained an awesomely powerful sword that is soul-bound only to him; (Cursed so that he is the only being who can wield it, but it is also the only weapon he can wield) It was thrown together a bit before Immortals rules so Conversion is a bit of a pain. (A bit overpowered for his level) 'Twas a sword from another universe (a benifit unto itself) forged from what would equate to undimensional energy. It was sort of like a life-drinker, but it GAVE levels to the wielder Permanently, although it capped his advancement at 3x his original HD. I was thinking during his divine ascension he would have found away to strip himself of that limitation which would in turn weaken the artifact somewhat.

Pretty neat, be sure and give the sword a ranged attack though if thats his only weapon allowed. Then again perhaps thats part of the penalty...?

And yes, his taking the Double Fire Portfolio is the only reason the other player's character is playable; Ever try playing a 'fire mage' in regular D&D? Doesn't work well after about 15th level, unless you really cheese it. (Everything at that point is immune to fire; including some ice monsters)

Yes it sort of defeats the purpose to have resistance and immunity so prevailant. I have been half thinking that maybe Deities & Demigods approach is best and that all energy at that point should be 'Divine' even if it looks like you are attacking with, fire, ice or whatever.

Although the notion that 4E dragons can scour the fire resistance right off targets is interesting.

He's going to be throwing lots of Fire damage; that I fully expect. (70D6 Fiery breath if I am not mistaken, and he has Telluric and Vengeful as well, so he can just nuke the crap out of anything that doesn't massacre him first)

:D

But the Monk punches for something Pitiful like 32 damage plus like 1 pt of Telluric Con Drain. (7 some-odd attacks per round)

That is fairly weak, presumably thats including Evenhanded?

As for releasing it in Febuary; A friend of mine, who for some bizzaro reason didn't understand for 2 years how useful Ascension would be to him, was really interested in it when he saw how much easier it was to do hash together a deity from concept to raw stats. He'd probably prefer to see it in print (as would I :)) if only because I don't think he shops online much.

Well I think the Divinity Templates, Powers and Portfolios, get most of the spotlight but there are some nifty sub-rules tucked away in there (as with the Bestiary) that I think people will like.

Upper_Krust said:

a weird thing happened last night one minute I was saddled with the melancholy of the past five days and next thing I knew...I wasn't. I still can't explain it but I seem to be okay again *fingers crossed*...go figure. :confused:

Pretty neat, be sure and give the sword a ranged attack though if thats his only weapon allowed. Then again perhaps thats part of the penalty...?

Yes it sort of defeats the purpose to have resistance and immunity so prevailant. I have been half thinking that maybe Deities & Demigods approach is best and that all energy at that point should be 'Divine' even if it looks like you are attacking with, fire, ice or whatever.

Although the notion that 4E dragons can scour the fire resistance right off targets is interesting.

:D

That is fairly weak, presumably thats including Evenhanded?

Well I think the Divinity Templates, Powers and Portfolios, get most of the spotlight but there are some nifty sub-rules tucked away in there (as with the Bestiary) that I think people will like.

Good to hear you are feeling better. :)
The monk is sort of weak, (used to spam attacks; all stat ups went to Wisdom and his stat increasing item ups wisdom as well) but he has a (headband?) of Inner Eye as an artifact, so even handed seemed a bit moot. Theres sort of a inside joke there, as the player in question just always rolls 1s. Like, in a single two roud fight, he rolled like 4 1's. Its like magic. Our old DM had this really unfair critical fumble rule that would infuriate anyone. (Roll a 1 and your turn is over immediatly; completely neuters monks w/Two Weapon fighting) This drove my friend nuts. Totally nuts. +47 to hit a goblin with the first attack, roll a 1, stumble, fall, knock self out cold. So I suggested Inner Eye so that at least his character would be safe from terrible bad luck. :) (He doesn't know this yet, but this will come in super-handy vs Cyric; I gave Cyric a Luck-stealing dagger as an off-hand weapon which is +6 and bestows a cumulative -1 luck penalty via a modified vexing effect on anyone struck)

Hey dante mate! :)

dante58701 said:
I'd still like to see a few more portfolios, though I'm not entirely sure which ones.

I think there are too many portfolios in Ascension, or rather too many that do the exact same thing 'only different'* (Ability Score based portfolios, Elemental based portfolios etc.)

*From a powers perspective that is, not the descriptive list of relative terms like favoured place, favoured animal and favoured time etc.

Howdy Ltheb mate! :)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Good to hear you are feeling better. :)

I think I am at the 'Acceptance' part of things, still have the emotional scars, but thats preferable to the 'open wound' of the first five days (where I couldn't eat properly or think straight). Still gnaws away at the back of my mind, but hey, I'm only human. ;)

Actually feel a bit queasy today, but I think that could be down to some dodgy potato bread I had this morning. :p

The monk is sort of weak, (used to spam attacks; all stat ups went to Wisdom and his stat increasing item ups wisdom as well) but he has a (headband?) of Inner Eye as an artifact, so even handed seemed a bit moot. Theres sort of a inside joke there, as the player in question just always rolls 1s. Like, in a single two roud fight, he rolled like 4 1's. Its like magic.

Ouch! :cool:

Our old DM had this really unfair critical fumble rule that would infuriate anyone. (Roll a 1 and your turn is over immediatly; completely neuters monks w/Two Weapon fighting) This drove my friend nuts. Totally nuts. +47 to hit a goblin with the first attack, roll a 1, stumble, fall, knock self out cold.

That seems a tad severe.

So I suggested Inner Eye so that at least his character would be safe from terrible bad luck. :)

Makes sense.

(He doesn't know this yet, but this will come in super-handy vs Cyric; I gave Cyric a Luck-stealing dagger as an off-hand weapon which is +6 and bestows a cumulative -1 luck penalty via a modified vexing effect on anyone struck)

Only +6...?

Upper_Krust said:
Only +6...?
Well, he was capable of +42 weapons, and with his surprisingly high strength, ability to summon minions with which to flank with and score his 30d6 sneak attack, and his Uncanny Force and Unholy Mastery, Timestealer, Learned Spell Immunity, and Exclusivity powers, I felt really bad for the players after I finished. (Plus, he could always bean them in the head with the Cyrinishad and turn them Evil. :))

historian

First Post
I think I am at the 'Acceptance' part of things, still have the emotional scars, but thats preferable to the 'open wound' of the first five days (where I couldn't eat properly or think straight). Still gnaws away at the back of my mind, but hey, I'm only human.

My condolences U_K.

Were I you I might find a pub and get to work on rebounding. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads