NEW Immortals Handbook - Ascension thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Rebounding is bad, it just ends up putting innocent girls in tears. It's better to seek inner peace than waste time lying to girls about wanting a serious relationship.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Noone, just pointing out that the majority of rebounders are just out for nooky. I know Krusty isn't like that, but I just had to advise against the whole "rebound" thing. What he really needs is a girl who is actually compatible with him. A rebound won't solve that. What will solve that is going out and meeting new people at a place more intellectual than "a bar". Bar chicks are not high quality dating material. They tend to have way too many emotional problems. Not to mention a lot of kids from previous relationships...which is baggage all on it's own when the ex comes calling for nooky.

Hiya mate! :)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Well, he was capable of +42 weapons, and with his surprisingly high strength, ability to summon minions with which to flank with and score his 30d6 sneak attack, and his Uncanny Force and Unholy Mastery, Timestealer, Learned Spell Immunity, and Exclusivity powers, I felt really bad for the players after I finished. (Plus, he could always bean them in the head with the Cyrinishad and turn them Evil. :))

Even so, I would always advocate using half the bonus for the weapons enhancement and half on special abilities...just to keep everything in balance. ;)

...and never feel sorry for epic/immortal PCs. :lol:

Edit: Just thought I would reply in here to the snippets of discussion regarding my recent personal problems. Thanks for the support, I think getting things off my chest a little by posting herein has been a cathartic experience. I'm well on the road to recovery so, no more need to clutter this thread up with that sort of thing.

Historian: I'll be in London on the 5th-13th of April, if we were to meet up the drinks would be on me dude. If not, maybe we'll bump into each other at a future convention or somesuch.

Dante: I'm sort of at the age where I'm looking for a relationship, rather than something casual (as you anticipated). I don't plan on rushing into anything*.

*"including the completion of Ascension" I hear Anabstercorian think to himself. :p

Last edited:

Upper_Krust said:
Hiya mate! :)

Even so, I would always advocate using half the bonus for the weapons enhancement and half on special abilities...just to keep everything in balance. ;)

...and never feel sorry for epic/immortal PCs. :lol:

Well, the dagger is an off hand weapon, and his main one has a bit more enhancement than special abilities. Plus with a perfect Unholy Strike, 15d8 damage each hit is rough. Plus, unless I up the PCs 20 levels or so before the confrontation, a single round of his sneak attack will kill any one of them. (Heck, perhaps even two!)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
U_K, I noticed something when looking through Ascension and the Bestiary: bonuses to caster level checks (from divine bonus) don't scale anywhere close to the level adjustment for the divinity templates. That means that most godly characters who face monsters of a CR equal to their ECL won't have a prayer for beating their spell resistance, compared to a (admittedly higher-level) single-classed non-divine spellcaster who'll do so much better.

For example, a 30th-level wizard with the demigod template (and no extra equipment) is ECL 50. He's taken Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, and Epic Spell Penetration. Along with his divine bonus, that gives him a total bonus of +42 to his caster level checks to penetrate SR. If this character faces off against a Gibborim - which is CR 48 compared to the character's ECL of 50 - he'll never even come close to penetrating its spell resistance of 79. Whereas a straight 50th-level wizard with those feats has a +56 to his caster level check...still not enough to succeed even on a natural 20, but still within the range that he can potentially boost himself somehow to try and make the roll.

The reverse is also true regarding a character's SR versus monster's caster levels. That same level 30 wizard demigod will have SR 46. That, however, won't even slow down the Gibborim's spell-like abilities, which are used at caster level 69 (65 HD + 4 divine bonus).

Clearly, there's something of a gap here. What's the solution?

EDIT: And don't use this problem as an example of what's wrong with 3.5E. You wrote these books, so you solve the problem! :p

Last edited:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I'm inclined to confront characters with enemies of a caster level equal to their spell resistance -10. This makes it more fair.

I think the real problem lies not in caster levels, but in the idea that divine beings would be facing off against mortal opponents.

Then of course there is the ultimate leveler when this does happen...divine abilities such as Spell Abatement, Spell Absorption, Spell Immunity, Spell Reflection, ect.

Hi Alzrius mate! :)

Alzrius said:
U_K, I noticed something when looking through Ascension and the Bestiary: bonuses to caster level checks (from divine bonus) don't scale anywhere close to the level adjustment for the divinity templates. That means that most godly characters who face monsters of a CR equal to their ECL won't have a prayer for beating their spell resistance, compared to a (admittedly higher-level) single-classed non-divine spellcaster who'll do so much better.

For example, a 30th-level wizard with the demigod template (and no extra equipment) is ECL 50. He's taken Spell Resistance, Greater Spell Resistance, and Epic Spell Resistance. Along with his divine bonus, that gives him a total bonus of +42 to his caster level checks to penetrate SR. If this character faces off against a Gibborim - which is CR 48 compared to the character's ECL of 50 - he'll never even come close to penetrating its spell resistance of 79. Whereas a straight 50th-level wizard with those feats has a +56 to his caster level check...still not enough to succeed even on a natural 20, but still within the range that he can potentially boost himself somehow to try and make the roll.

The reverse is also true regarding a character's SR versus monster's caster levels. That same level 30 wizard demigod will have SR 46. That, however, won't even slow down the Gibborim's spell-like abilities, which are used at caster level 69 (65 HD + 4 divine bonus).

Clearly, there's something of a gap here. What's the solution?

EDIT: And don't use this problem as an example of what's wrong with 3.5E. You wrote these books, so you solve the problem! :p

The simplest solution is just to base Spell Resistance on Challenge Rating, which is the official line. But that creates its own issues, based on the number of monsters involved in your encounter. For instance, 3E is setup with Party vs. 1 monster as standard. Under that scenario basing Spell Resistance on Challeneg Rating is the best solution. However, lets say we wanted to use multiple Gibborim (one per party member) then my version would be more apropos.

So there is no completely right or completely wrong answer.

With everything scaling on a base 1:1 with level in 3E the numbers get out of hand more rapidly. Whereas with 4E the base numbers scale 1:2 with level (added to which I'll be looking to drop 4E Immortal level range to 31-60...so it'll be less levels, less math and more "something intersting happens" powers rather than math based powers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads