• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Penny Arcade podcast

morgul97

First Post
This podcast is turning into a major draw for me. Whoever makes these kinds of decisions, please keep these guys on the intermittent payroll for as long as possible (and with webcams, or at least photographs, next time please).

Agreed. I'd like to hear more from these guys. Very funny and a good view of how to effectively introduce new players to the game / 4th Ed.

I'd like to see WotC doing even more podcasts. I'm a bit of a podcast junky. I'd like to hear some of the WotC employees' home games taped. Also, it would be cool to hear some playtest sessions. I'm facinated by the develpment process and that would be really interesting to hear a snippit of... though there are obviously reasons they would want to restrict what they gave the public.

Felon

First Post
Maybe I'm missing the big picture here--I know Penny Arcade has become a big-deal website for everyone who thinks an F-bomb is the pinnacle of coolness, so it could be I'm just hip with the cult of personality here--but I don't see the big whoop about Jim Darkmagic or any of these Penny Arcade guys. They seem to be either stoned or they're just not that fast on the uptake in the first place. They don't even seem to be particularly entertaining stoners/dummies.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I think they are entertaining.

But here is the deal. A buddy of mine who never played D&D but lots and lots of video games listened to them and it was a epiphany. His idea of what I was doing when I was playing D&D was so far removed from what I was actually doing that he didn't understand the appeal. Now he does. I dunno why it took the podcast to do it.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
It's painful isn't it? You can hear it in some of his comments that he's getting a little frustrated at missing all the time. I'm surprised Chris hasn't picked up on it. If I heard he had a +4 to hit, I'd immediately ask why it's so low. I think he's wielding a longsword so he's missing out on a massive +3 to hit :0

Wil knows now.

That link may change after he updates his blog; it's to the front page--or you might need to scroll down. Relevant text quoted below.

Wil Wheaton said:
Several astute listeners have pointed out that I made an epic – and I mean eh-puh-hic :):):):) up when we played – I failed to account for Aeofel Elhromanë's weapon proficiency bonus, and his magic longsword, which means that should have added +4 to ... a lot of rolls. We realized this shortly after the final encounter, and I felt incredibly stupid. In fact, I still feel incredibly stupid; I should have known better. Believe it or not, I was so excited to play 4E, so excited to play my Avenger, and so excited to be playing with my friends, I just overlooked it.
Wil is the best roleplayer in the group, IMO. He's fun to listen to... even if his character didn't hit anything... ever.

Felon

First Post
Wil is the best roleplayer in the group, IMO. He's fun to listen to... even if his character didn't hit anything... ever.
Yeah, I got a kick out him saying "I don't mean to be metagaming but..."

Someone should have replied back "In 4e we don't call that 'metagaming', we just call it "gaming", Wil."

filthgrinder

First Post
If you see a problem post, report it. Picking a fight and further derailing the thread helps nothing. ~ Piratecat

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawke

Explorer
Scott, you rock.

I seriously look forward to these. I highly suggest to wotc that they take a look at making these a permanent aspect of the website... I'm sure it would be easy/fun to continue to run various adventures with this group and others as needed. It's a great way to encourage DMs to play a different way, for new players to get over the fear of the game, and to see different classes/monsters in action.

As a sales tool, you get the opportunity to whet our appetite for classes like the Avenger. If video (or at least a group of stills) becomes a part of this, it is a great way to show how your new miniature models can add to the game - as you drop down 5 cyclops and the fear of the players is obviously increased due to the presence of the cool large minis. Showing how easy it is to use the tiles or run a delve from the latest book is great. Also with DDI, you can show a quick character creation or some samples of what printed sheets from the builder look like. As more tools are released, you can preview them... perhaps with in-game video of several players using GameTable.

To be clear, though... as much as the product line is great and stands alone, the personalities of Mike, Jerry, Scott, and Wil are the biggest reasons. Keep the core group as much as you can and rotate in some various people as schedules permit and we've got something amazing to look forward to.

Is it Wednesday yet?

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of these podcasts. I don't think that these are the best gamers ever, in fact the language, misogyny(Oh, dear lord the misogyny) and other issues are why I don't show my wife them as an example of how fun 4e is.

But arguing that something isn't funny when people clearly do think it's funny? You can't. You just have to shrug and walk away.

I am in favor of NEVER adding video or stills. I like listening in my car.

Last edited:

Drakhar

First Post
I found it very funny when one of the guys responded to the creature skulking in the shadows underneath one of the things the crossbowmen were on as being Splug come to save them again.

I also laugh everytime Wil snarks on the others for using the computer to make their characters instead of doing it the old fashion way, and I love how Chris finally brought up marking to Scott, I mean it's only been....9 podcasts and he has yet to mark anything?

Remove ads