• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Not convinced yet... but

Sage Genesis

First Post
Just used the same stats to make a dual wielding fighter, if he hits twice he does 2D8+14 a round, every round. How is this supposed to be a balanced game system?

I'm not entirely sure what this is about, but how do you do this? It sound like a low-level (1-4) character so he'd need to have Str 20, a feat, and also two +2 weapons. That's not impossible but it sounds a little... generous.

As for the Wizard, well, that's what your daily spells are for aren't they? The Wizard has less at-will damage but higher spikes when they use daily spells. That's just basic D&D.

akr71

Hero
How does a dual-wielding fighter do 2d8+14 ? Not piling on, just asking for an explanation of your math...

I'm guessing dual d8 weapons (flail/battleaxe/longsword/...) but where does the +7x2 come from? A 20 STR would give you +7 to hit, but proficiency bonus only applies for attack rolls, not damage. I get d8+5/attack = 2d8 +10 if you hit twice and that is only with an incredible 20 STR at level 1.

Maybe think about an Eldritch Knight fighter or Pact of the Blade warlock...

Ryuutakeshi

First Post
Ignoring completely your lack of consideration for a wizard's potential in later levels, your carrying capacity of 100 simply means you can carry 100 lbs of gear before you're encumbered... Which means you move 10 feet slower. That's it. You have a lot more to go before you start taking big penalties. And that's assuming you even use the variant encumbrance rules.

Now, your average cow is 1,600 lbs. With a strength of 20, you can lift 30 times your strength score (600 lbs) before you're unable to move. Even the world record deadlift (1018 llbs) doesn't come close to the weight of an adult cow.

However, if you were a goliath bear totem barbarian lvl 6, assuming my math is right, you actually can lift a cow and move with it.

pdegan2814

First Post
Just used the same stats to make a dual wielding fighter, if he hits twice he does 2D8+14 a round, every round. How is this supposed to be a balanced game system? And if the wizard helps to buff me up or reduce my enemy, I become even more awesome - thanks wizard I'm having great fun here! In combat he has 17 AC (the wizard did too but only with mage armor).

2d8+14 per round for a dual-wielding fighter? 17 AC? If you're gonna throw around results like that, you need to show your work. What are the base stats you're using for this theoretical character, what class features are you making use of, what weapons are you using, etc?

2d8+14 is where I think you're losing a lot of people. To do that in one round with a dual-wielding Fighter implies either 1d8+7/1d8+7 if you took the Two-Weapon Fighting style, or 1d8+12/1d8+2 if you took the Dueling style. If you took TWF, where is the +7 coming from? At MOST you're getting +5 from your ability modifier, where's the other +2 coming from? And how are you swinging weapons that do 1d8, since dual-wielding requires that you use light weapons? If you didn't take TWF, where in the blue blazes do you come up with the +12 for your main-hand damage roll? Your math doesn't line up with how 5e combat works. So please provide details on how you came up with the numbers you're offering in your latest post.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
If he has a variant Human with starting feat of Dual wielder he could have 1d8 weapons. However, the static 14 damage on 2 successful hits has me confused as well.

pdegan2814

First Post
If he has a variant Human with starting feat of Dual wielder he could have 1d8 weapons. However, the static 14 damage on 2 successful hits has me confused as well.

Yes, "if". That's why he needs to list the particulars of his build, not just "I made a dual-wielding Fighter". That doesn't tell us squat. Do we even know if the character in question is Level 1?

sandvirm

First Post
I think in the OPs other post, it was stated:
* rolled stats with one 18 that was appointed to strength.
* variant human with dual wielder feat, and +2 to strength....somehow (+1 to strength, and another +1 to strength?)
* and 2d8+10, making the 2d8+14 above a probable typo.

Not sure how he calculates 2/10 for trolling. Seems a bit high.

Last edited:

Obvious math errors of your post aside, the fighter should always out-damage you over the course of the day. That's basically all they have in this edition. No matter how much damage they throw at something, it's not going to let them fly, or speak with the dead, or turn invisible or any of the other utility options you have. Wizards are the swiss army knife that can change their superpowers every day. That should never exceed a single use tool in the tool's field.

Also bear in mind that the game really isnt balanced at levels 1-3, because those are meant to go by in a couple of sessions, with you probably hitting level 2 partway through your 1st session.

Remove ads