[October] What Are You Reading?

Stone Angel

First Post
Reading Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. Just finished Dawn of Night by Paul Kemp the second in the Erevis Cale Trilogy. Which I am really impressed by and can't wait for the last.

Now I am looking forward to the final installment of the Hunters Blade Series. Foaming at the mouth actually.

The Seraph of Earth and Stone

driver8

First Post
driver8 said:
Originally Posted by driver8
Still reading Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (almost done)...

mmadsen said:
How is it?

Very good IMHO. Alot of the reviews refer to it as Jane Austin meets Harry Potter, but thats not entirely true I think. It reminds me of Lord Dunsay in its traditional take on fantasy. It has the vivid characterizations of Dickens or Thackery, the droll humor and social politics of those authors and Austin. Its very literate and though its 782 pages, youll be racing to the end. Magic, Napoleonic wars, Wellington, and faeries.

Get the book.

The only problem is that Bloomsbury prints the book and in my local bookstores the book was shrinkwrapped in plastic- so no browsing.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I just finished The Da Vinci Code (I know, I know) and Jon Stewart and the Daily Show Present America (The Book).

Demiurge out.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Finished up Point of Dreams and now reading Point of Hopes by Melissa Scott and Lisa A Barnes. Mystery in a quasi-Napoleonic Age fantasy world, involving Nicholas Rathe (a 'pointsman', much like a police officer or town guardsman) and Phillip Eslingen (an out of work soldier).

Bouncing Off the Moon by David Gerrold. Sequel to Jumping Off the Planet. The Dingillians and Mickey have made it off Earth and now have to deal with the aftermath of the trial held on the beanstalk. A desperate move lands them on Luna; they must evade the authorities and their mysterious stalkers to get to one of the starship launching areas and make their final break with Earth.

In the queue: Reaching for the Stars, sequel to Bouncing Off the Moon. After that... uncertain.

orbitalfreak

First Post
Just finished The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown, and Douglass Preston / Lincoln Child's Still Life with Crows and Brimstone, all within a week. Started on Stephen King's The Stand finally, and should be finished by Thanksgiving (focusing more on school now, reading in my ever-shrinking spare time).

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Just finished Year of Our War by Steph Swainston. I've decided that now System of the World is out, it's time to move back to the Baroque Cycle and have started on The Confusion.

talinthas

First Post
Just finished the first Lemony Snickett book in the Series of Unfortunate Events, and am now moving on to Loamhedge by Brian Jaques, the second most recent redwall book. Yeah, i know. I'm just feeling a little YA these days =)

Remove ads