• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[October] What Are You Reading?

Abdomens

First Post
Have just closed Stardust by Neil Gaiman. A very nice little tale which I enjoyed very much.

Next I'm going to read some comics. 1602 #1-8 from Marvel written by... Neil Gaiman ;)
I seem to have Mr. Gaiman on my mind right now, but it's okay. As long as he pays me to advertise on differet boards. ;)

Then I think I will finally sit down and read The Name of the Rose by Nei... er, Umberto Eco!

Neil Gaiman!

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Finished Point of Hopes by Melissa Scott. Once I got it, I remember seeing it on the bookstands, but I never picked it up because of the sadly boring and misleading cover. Don't remember if I ever read the back copy or not. Sad to think that the cover has a lot more to do with whether or not I'll look at a book than I apparently thought.

A very interesting story and mystery, though the relationship between Rathe and Eslingen doesn't really even get off the ground (though it's a teriary thread in the entire thing; people in Astreliant seem to make absolutely no gender distinctions at all); I'll look back at the begining of Point of Dreams, but it almost seems as if there is a book missing in the middle. And still no map, though I did not expect one. Maybe in Point of Sighs...

Now moving on to Path of the Bold, from Guardians of Order. I also have a ragged copy of John Varley's anthology Superheroes. That should be next, now.

Just finished Perdido Street Station by China Mieville and The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. Currently reading Star Corps by Ian Douglas, then off to the last two Dark Tower novels.

Last edited:

WmRAllen67

First Post
October reading...

Finished Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling, now reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson and working my way through A Monarchy Transformed: Britian 1603-1714 by Mark Kishlansky...

Seems I'm on a small 17th Century kick...

Though in the Halloween spirit I'll probably pick up Laurell Hamilton's latest-- if only to complete my set (though I'm hoping there'll be less angsty sex and more spooky-ness...)

blindrage

Raging blindly since 1969
The last two books in the Dark Tower saga. Then it's the new Gaunt's Ghosts Novel. Mnn 40K Warhammer fiction. Too bad the game is too $$$$.

DaveStebbins

First Post
I went to visit my daughter this weekend, so I had 20 hours in the car to listen to books on CD. I listened to Seduced by Moonlight by Laurell K. Hamilton. It's a story about intrigue in the Unseelie Court, and was a very interesting listen. However, it does include lots non-grandma-friendly scenes of graphic faerie sex and bloody violence. It is the sequal to A Caress of Twilight, which I will now have to track down.

I am also almost two-thirds of the way through Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenyx, which I am listening to on my MP3 player. I'd be done by now if I was working out as often as I should, as I started it several months ago at least.

-Dave

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Tav_Behemoth said:
I got Club Dumas for my birthday, yay! Currently finishing the Book of Jhereg by Steven Brust first, and then I reckon I'll actually read Three Musketeers first.

Might as well make a trifecta and read (or re-read) Brust's homage to Dumas, The Phoenix Guards! Anyway, here's mine:

Just Finished
Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (excellent as always)
Fearful Symmetries by S. Andrew Swann (decent, actually breaks from the formula of the first three)

Now Reading
Impossible Odds by Dave Duncan (the King's Blades are the only Duncan books I've been able to get into - I've tried I don't know how many times to start A Man of His Word, and I can't get past the main nation being called the Impire.)

To Read
Quicksilver by Neil Stephenson (bogged down partway through last time - it doesn't seem as readable as his other stuff)
Fool's Errant by Matthew Hughes (hoping it lives up to the comparisons to Adams and Vance, expecting it won't)

Pants

First Post
Still reading Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson, but now I am also reading through the Iron Kingdom's Character Guide. Good stuff, the both of them.

Krug

Newshound
Just finished reading the Warcraft novel The Well of Eternity and starting on murder thriller Every Dead Thing today.

Remove ads