[October] What are you reading?

Priest_Sidran

First Post
Hi,

I am rereading Rhapsody, by Elizabeth Haydon
The Script of Human Nature
Ill met by Moonlight by Sarah A. Hoyt
and the Aenaid by Virgil

I am also about a third of the way through Gormenghast by Mervin Peake but that is like reading War and Peace

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
TwistedBishop said:
Great book. The title is actually "A Night in the Lonesome October". Universal Monster Movies meets Lovecraft meets Victorian Fantasy Mystery.

Ah, you're correct. It would make a cool movie especially with narration.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
After having an odd dream about San Francisco last week I went to the library and checked out Historic San Francisco: A Concise History and Guide by Rand Richards.

Mycanid

First Post
Well - like I said elsewhere, I am listening to Seamus Heaney reading his translation of Beowulf. It is, of course, an audio book.

I also reading Father Cleopa: Elder of Sihastria. Good stuff - am tearing through it fast!

delericho

Legend
I don't have much time to read at the moment. When I do read, it's either "Heroes of Horror" or "The Darkness That Comes Before". I'm finding the latter, in particular, hard to get into.

Aurora

First Post
Mark CMG said:
[October] What are you reading?

Perhaps fitting that I am still reading The October Horse by Colleen McCullough (among other things). :)

Looks like an interesting book. Have you read the whole series? I may have to look into it.

Currently, I am trying to get through this book. The Expected One
I have had a really hard time getting into it, and don't necessarily recommend it. I figured it would be along the lines of the DaVinci Code, but it is not the same caliber.

Michael Tree

First Post
Mycanid said:
Well - like I said elsewhere, I am listening to Seamus Heaney reading his translation of Beowulf. It is, of course, an audio book.
Ah, wonderful. I love that recording. I just wish that he had recorded the whole poem, not an abridged version.

I'm finishing up William Gibson's All Tomorrow's Parties. Next up, maybe Heart of Darkness, maybe Anonymous Lawyer.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Mycanid said:
... Seamus Heaney reading his translation of Beowulf.
I love that recording. Bought it years ago, and have it on my computer for odd moments when I need to be taken to a very different world.

I'm reading Taimanov's Selected Games - a chess book. Also Following Gandalf, a book about epic battles and moral victory in LotR.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Aurora said:
Looks like an interesting book. Have you read the whole series? I may have to look into it.

Yup. All good. Starts a couple of generations before "great" Caesar and we get the flavor of how politics developed into his times. It gets more in depth as it goes along. Phenomenal series, IMO.

Remove ads