[October] What are you reading?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Ugh, I don't know what to read. I do like seeing everyone's responses.

I spent something like a year reading The Bloody Crown of Conan (kept it in my car, read snatches of it here and there when I was waiting for someone or eating lunch alone). It was one "novella" and two longer short stories, not quite as suitable for quick snatches as a book of true short stories. Just finished that up this week. So I need another short story collection for the car.

I'm reading Origin of Species and The Art of War via e-mail (thanks to Reveal for the link to http://www.dailylit.com/ ).

I'm listening to Collapse (Jared Diamond) on my iPod when I bike or take walks.

I really could use a good sci fi novel.

Just finished Pratchett's Thud! and then the new Star Wars book, Bloodlines.

With nothing to read now until the next Star Wars book in November, I'm doing my yearly read of Dune finally...albiet a little later than usual.

BadMojo

First Post
Currently reading Keith Francis Strohm's "Bladesinger". Not much to do with Bladesingers, but, ah, not as bad as the reviews led me to believe.

Next up is either "Thieves of the Blood" by Tim Waggoner or the Del Rey Solomon Kane collection.

Ghostwind

First Post
The Ice Limit by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (authors of Relic).

From the back cover:
On a desolate island off the coast of southern Chile, the largest known meteorite has been found, entombed in the earth for millions of year. In New York, a bilionaire decides he must have this incredible find for himself, no matter what the cost. At four thousand tons, it will be the heaviest thing ever moved by human ingenuity. The effort to retrieve it will be the most expensive, secretive, and sophisticated salvage mission ever mounted. But from the beginning, people begin to die.

Now a disgraced Chilean navy officer is out to stop the expedition, a brutal Pacific storm is raging toward them, and a frightening truth is beginning to unfold. Then men and women of the Rolvaag are not taking this ancient, enigmatic object anywhere. It is taking them...

On page 242 of 491 and it's finally starting to get interesting. The first half of the book is character development and set up. The authors have done a good job at crafting characters who feel real and have tangible personalities.

Merlion

First Post
Wombat said:
As I do every October, I have started on my re-read of Ray Bradbury's collection, October Country.

I decided to take a queue from you and do the same thing, once I finish Howl's Moving Castle

I am also about a third of the way through Gormenghast by Mervin Peake but that is like reading War and Peace

Is it any good? I've been thinking about aqquiring and reading those. The movie was...odd...but it seems like it'd work better in the original form.

Wombat

First Post
Priest_Sidran said:
I am also about a third of the way through Gormenghast by Mervin Peake but that is like reading War and Peace

I love War & Peace -- Pierre Bezukhov, Natasha Rostova, Andre Bolkonskii, these are almost friends of mine. :)

Gorhmenghast? Turgid, yet dull; slow; boring; hints at depths of meaning, but entrapped in viscous prose. Ultimately not very interesting.

Kaodi

Hero
I Am Reading...

Fruits Basket 1... I originally got this for my sister, hoping she might show an interest in manga, but alas, like every other one of my hobbies, she didn't like it... So, I might as well read it, since I paid for it.

Also, since it is October, I should really get back to The Best of H. P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurtling Tales of Horror and the Macabre... I've only read the first three stories so far. I'm thinking I should have the Call of Cthulhu for Hallowe'en.

And of course, newspapers. Yes, I do read those old fashioned things.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Just finished Pratchett's Thud! and then HIS new Star Wars book, Bloodlines.

That's what I thought your sentence said as I read through it. Now, THAT would make for an interesting Star Wars novel!

Remove ads