Old-school dungeon crawl using 5e playtest rules

tuxgeo

Adventurer
< snip > . . . But let's try to finish the current battle before my absence. If you do that, it will be three complete encounters behind our backs. Believe or not, that is more I have ever seen in a PbP game as a player :D

I believe we were trying to finish the current battle. Apparently we don't know how.

Aeiyan suggested moving boulders aside as a way to cut off the side passages of the maze, thereby making the ghouls more accessible. He also tried to draw their aggravation by flipping the slab. Bartleby strode forth and called for them to come at him. Tock slashed or stabbed at the bone thrones in an attempt to draw their ire. Several players took the initiative to roll for Initiative again, thinking that might help.

Let me attempt some humor here: How can our PCs engage two ghouls that can evade them so easily? Quote Monty Python at them? Taunt their pride? Insult their mothers? Charge back into the maze separately, yelling "Leroy Jenkins?" Pretend to take a nap? Give them a piece of string to play with? Offer them gold? Desecrate something they hold sacred? Find the hidden button and press it firmly? Retrieve the corpses they had been feeding on, dragging the corpses into the open? Light a torch and threaten to burn the (disturbed) bone seats they had built? Dance the Macarena? (That one might work! It's disturbing enough.)

Maybe yell, "Wolf! Wolf! Wolf! AAoOWooO! Hey there Little Red Riding Hood, you sure are. . . ." (OK, I'll stop.) :)

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Uh...pretty sure the ghouls just charged in to attack us?

*goes to re-read thread*

Yep, you're absolutely right: I missed Li Shenron's post #366, wherein he said the ghouls attack, and called for Initiative rolls.

I'll head back (sheepishly? probably not) to the IC thread and give an Initiative roll for Aeiyan.

Li Shenron

Legend
Stranded in the Alps, I was hoping to keep an eye on the game and maybe post an update or two, but the network connection is painfully slow...... I just thank you all once again for staying in the game (as I mentioned before, I played in other PbP before and I've never seen them reach three whole battles completed!) and wish you a nice midsummer! See you in July! :)

Li Shenron

Legend
I waited for July. It's July now.

Nice to see that you've anxious to restart! :D

What do you guys think, about updating your PCs with this week's Thursday upcoming Basic rules? Now we all know exactly what classes, subclasses, backgrounds, races, spell and equipment is included in the first version of Basic. Let's check how much stuff is missing for each PC, and then we can decide if it's a good time to update or if we should wait for the PHB.

Tock can still be a Warforged as per the playtest rules, since the DMG is much farther away.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
As one of the characters whose class won't be available until August, I'm fine either letting those who can do so update right away and the rest of us waiting, or (pref?) selectively updating as rules emerge. And so Bartleby will be a Basic Dwarf later the week, but will still be a play test druid until the PHB.

Remove ads