• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) FR Adventure - Vampires of Waterdeep! [FULL]

Thanee

First Post
Bloodweaver1 said:
Even though it work out to our advantage my original intent was to get the Vampire Queen.

That wouldn't be possible without repositioning, tho, since you always affect the closest undead first.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee said:
I think I figured it out how you got to 17...

Jana only has a caster level of 12, not 13 (1st Eldritch Knight level doesn't improve spellcasting ability); and False Life is capped at +10, so a roll of 4 results in 14 temporary hit points (3 less than what you used).

Bye
Thanee

Yep, looks like you're right about that, Thanee.

I'll adjust Jana's hit point total.

-PP

Mista Collins said:
Vampiric Werewolves.. I like that combination.

*Mista snatches it from Professor Parsnip hands and runs screaming like a mad man*

Well, actually, you're snatching the idea from the hands of Eric L Boyd, but I appreciate the sentiment. :)

Credit where credit's due.....

-PP

Bloodweaver1 said:
Yea I know right.
Even though it work out to our advantage my original intent was to get the Vampire Queen.
Oh well, I'm not complaining! :D

Prof-
This doesn't matter as the out come would have been the same. However, with a turning check of 29 (nice roll by way) my max effective HD would be 18, not 17. Not too sure if you included Improved Turning into your calculations. Don't mean to be stepping in on any toes here. :heh:

I'll post my second round actions tonight.

-Blood

Blood,

Thanks for the correction, you're right it should have been max affected HD of 18. I missed that...

Don't worry about stepping on toes, I appreciate being politely corrected when I make a mistake.

But, you're also right in that the results would have been the same.

I thought I'd point out that you actually were close enough to affect the queen with your turning attempt...but yet, she was unaffected. How about that. ;)

**Sinister Laughter Echoes**

Thanee,

I've been reading the replies to your question on the Rules forum about whether Negative Levels reduce caster levels.

It does seem a bit murky, I'll give you that. But, I'm going to rule that negative levels do impose a penalty to caster level when making relevant calculations.

FYI,
-PP

Thanee

First Post
Professor Parsnip said:
But, I'm going to rule that negative levels do impose a penalty to caster level when making relevant calculations.

Yeah, the +18 I had written in the IC is clearly wrong (had opened the thread afterwards, since I was wondering how it is done right :)).

It's +16 in any case.

The question is only whether the caster level is directly reduced (I'm leaning towards no here), or only the calculations based on the caster level (range, duration, and the grapple strength for example).

I suppose you mean the latter with the part quoted above (at least it sounds like that to me)?

Bye
Thanee

Thanee said:
Yeah, the +18 I had written in the IC is clearly wrong (had opened the thread afterwards, since I was wondering how it is done right :)).

It's +16 in any case.

The question is only whether the caster level is directly reduced (I'm leaning towards no here), or only the calculations based on the caster level (range, duration, and the grapple strength for example).

I suppose you mean the latter with the part quoted above (at least it sounds like that to me)?

Bye
Thanee

I'm in agreement with you (I think... :) ) For now, let's go with just the calculations.

-PP

Thanee,

I forgot to mention earlier that the bite of that werewolf subjects Jana to the possibility of contracting lycanthropy. I've made a FORT save for her, but I'll just keep the result secret for now...

Beacause I'm the evil DM... ;)

-PP

Thanee

First Post
As long as Jana doesn't turn into an undead, which might have regrettable consequences in the vincinity of Caladan, everything is alright. :D

Speaking of undead... why is it, that Jana got 2 negative levels with 3 attacks? Do only some of the attacks confer negative levels (like 1 each for each claw)?

Bye
Thanee

Voadam

Legend
Thanee said:
As long as Jana doesn't turn into an undead, which might have regrettable consequences in the vincinity of Caladan, everything is alright. :D

Speaking of undead... why is it, that Jana got 2 negative levels with 3 attacks? Do only some of the attacks confer negative levels (like 1 each for each claw)?

Bye
Thanee

Vamps can only inflict negative levels once a round. Flurry of blows does not help them drain quicker.

Remove ads