• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC - Graverended Grimoire (House Millithor in the City of the Spider Queen V)

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Pyrex said:
There may be, but after the revolt they're not necessarily going to be capable of doing so. I doubt Lolth has that many priestesses capable of casting 9th level spells, and we are three of them.

I would never assume that we are the most powerful characters on the block... and I would never assume that a race as powerful as the drow would lose that many clerics. You former enemies would be without a doubt still capable of great harm. Of course they probably have issues, like there own houses being in disarray, that they will need to deal with.

Endur

First Post
I think you can safely assume that the high level NPCs in Menzoberanzan are far more powerful than the PCs. Just as the PCs have grown in power with Lolth's return, so have the House Baenre NPCs (only moreso).

Although the drow in Menzoberzan are far less numerous than they once were.

Xael

First Post
Paxus Asclepius said:
...no matter how powerful Gromph is, if we catch him off-guard, the group as a whole will destroy him.
He's a Diviner (according to some sourcebook). :) And I seriously doubt that we'd beat him anyway. Besides, we have really no reason to attack him. The city is still half-full of Duergar and Fiends.

Brother Shatterstone said:
I would never assume that we are the most powerful characters on the block...
I'll second this.

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
I didn't mean to imply that we were the most powerful characters in the area, but I do believe that we've entered the area of being major players in the local scene.

Given the state of affairs in Menzoberranzan I doubt any of the major houses would currently see the benefit of devoting enough resources to take us out.

Pyrex

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
...and I would never assume that a race as powerful as the drow would lose that many clerics...

There seems to be a significant disparity in world-view here that we should probably get Isida to chime in on. :)

What percentage of the worlds population is ECL 10+? 20+?

What is the current population of Menzoberranzan?
-> How many of them are ECL 10+? 20+?

I realize that there are always more powerful individuals out there, but most of the games I've played in assume an exponentially smaller number of higher-level characters.

Example: One of the 2E source books (don't remember which) stated that only 1% of the worlds population had levels in a PC class and that there were about half as many Lvl N pc's as Lvl N-1 pc's.
i.e:
1 in 100 people is lvl 1.
1 in 1600 people is lvl 5.
1 in 1/2 Million people is lvl 10.
1 in 1/2 Billion peopl is lvl 20.

FR obviously doesn't follow anything near that distribution, but I am curious as to just how many high-level (N)PC's there are in the world. :confused:

Xael

First Post
Pyrex said:
FR obviously doesn't follow anything near that distribution...
Yes.

...but I am curious as to just how many high-level (N)PC's there are in the world. :confused:
Many. You don't want to know about the City of Shade. Many 30+ casters. Floating city created with an epic spell with DC of 280. Need I go on?

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Pyrex said:
FR obviously doesn't follow anything near that distribution, but I am curious as to just how many high-level (N)PC's there are in the world. :confused:
No, you don’t... ;) Trust me there is a ton of them... The ELH is full of FR characters that are insanely high levels, Mystra has like 9 chosen all of them epic in nature, every deity has at least one chosen, or at least has the option, but its commonly believed that there is more than just the 'few" that WotC has released.

Waterdeep is a million souls and probably has at least 6 epic level NPCs... (so that shows you how much has changed since 1st edition. Which is fine by me, I never liked not having maxed hit points on first level.

Besides it would be fun for a little to torture the weak but every group has to have someone capable of taking them out or the fun would end much to quickly.

Dalamar

Adventurer
According to the DMG, a Metropolis (population 25,000 or more), has an absolute minimum of 64 characters which are an absolute minimum of 13th level. Of these, four are commoners of 16th level minimum (max level for these four is 26), four are adepts (min 13, max 18), four are aristocrats (min 13, max 16), four are experts (min 15, max 24) and four warriors (min 14, max 24). The rest are PC classes with a minimum level of 13 and a max of 20 (varies for each class). Each of these has two characters of half their level, which both have two characters half their level, and so on until you get the number of 1st level characters of that class (except for NPC classes, which have a set percentage of the population that aren't 'spent' on the other classed characters).

Xael

First Post
Dalamar said:
According to the DMG, blah, blah...
And Wizards are twice as common in FR.

And we're not even talking about Halruaa or Thay here. Mmm... Halruaa... The world of walking spellbooks...

Remove ads