D&D Basic Set Rulebook (1981)
D&D Expert Set Rulebook (1981)
D&D Basic Set (1983 - "Red Box")
B1 - B12
X1: Isle of Dread
X2: Castle Amber
D&D Rules Cyclopedia
Wrath of the Immortals

So, we'll be all set for a while. :D (That's not counting the AD&D stuff, which I also have lots of and which we'll also be getting to eventually.)

I generally pick up one PDF a month from dndclassics.com in roughly originally release date order, unless there's a special deal or a bundle available. Up next is the U series adventure bundle.

Leif

Adventurer
B1 is really cool, not because of the adventure itself, but because it has so many good tips and suggestions for beginning DMs, That was where I first learned how to DM. Although, the dungeon is pretty cool, too.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
And designed to be customized, as I understand it, so there'll be some surprises left for you, Leif. (Haven't played it myself, though I've heard some things about pools?).

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
And designed to be customized, as I understand it, so there'll be some surprises left for you, Leif. (Haven't played it myself, though I've heard some things about pools?).

Yup! The adventure provides detailed background on the dungeon and what each room looks like, but leaves monsters and treasure to the DM.

Leif

Adventurer
Yeah, I doubt if I'll remember much after 30+ years, but if I do happen to recall something, I promise not to spoil the surprise. I remember what a few of the pools do, but not which ones. And that's subject to change by the DM, too. Yeah, the whole module is set up as a primer on Dungeon Design, so the DM is very involved in the final shape of the thing.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
[sblock=Character Creation - Take 2: 1981 Basic Set]

Character Creation Step One: Ability Scores

A character's ability scores help define the character and what he can and cannot do. The six ability scores are:

Strength - Physical might. Your Strength modifier applies to attack rolls with hand-to-hand (melee) weapons, damage from hand-to-hand and thrown weapons, and rolls to perform feats of strength, such as breaking down a locked a door. Strength is the Prime Requisite for Fighters and Dwarves. It is one of the Prime Requisites for Elves and Halflings.

Intelligence - Mental might. Your Intelligence modifier determines the character's bonus languages (a negative modifier affects the character's ability to read and write). Intelligence is the Prime Requisite for Magic-Users. It is one of the Prime Requisites for Elves.

Wisdom - A character's ability to understand the world. Your Wisdom modifier applies to saving throws vs. magic of all sorts. Wisdom is the Prime Requisite for Clerics.

Dexterity - Nimbleness and grace. Your Dexterity modifier applies to attack rolls with thrown weapons and missile weapons, and affects Armor Class. Dexterity is the Prime Requisite for Thieves. It is one of the Prime Requisites for Halflings.

Constitution - Physical health and vigor. Your Constitution modifier applies to hit point rolls.

Charisma - Force of personality and presence. Your Charisma modifier applies to rolls affecting how NPCs react to your character.

Prime Requisites

A Prime Requisite (PR) is an ability score that is especially important to a character class. Each class has one or more PRs. A high ability score in a class's PR will give the character more experience points every time XP is gained. A low PR will penalize experience points every time XP is gained.

For Clerics, Fighters, Magic-Users, Thieves and Dwarves, XP bonuses and penalties for XP are as follows:
PR 3-5: -20% XP
PR 6-8: -10% XP
PR 13-15: +5% XP
PR 16-18: +10% XP

Halfling XP bonuses and penalties are as follows:
Str 3-5: -20% XP
Str 6-8: -10% XP
Str or Dex 13-18: +5% XP
Str and Dex 13-18: +10% XP

House Rule Note: XP penalties are extrapolated as they do not appear in the book.

Elf XP bonuses and penalties are as follows:
Str 3-5: -20% XP
Str 6-8: -10% XP
Str 13-18 and Int 13-15: +5%
Str 13-18 and Int 16-18: +10%

House Rule Note: XP penalties are extrapolated as they do not appear in the book.

Ability Score Modifiers

Ability scores range in number from 3 to 18. The modifiers to various rolls associated with the ability scores are:
3: -3
4-5: -2
6-8: -1
9-12: None
13-15: +1
16-17: +2
18: +3

Other Notes Regarding Ability Scores

Some scores have other special considerations.

Intelligence

An Intelligence bonus adds to a character's languages known, but a low score can hinder the character's ability to communicate even in his native language.

3 - The character has trouble speaking and cannot read or write.
4-5 - The character cannot read or write Common.
6-8 - The character can read and write simple Common words.

Charisma

Charisma affects the number of NPC retainers your character can hire and how loyal they are (measured by a Morale score), as follows:

3 - Max Retainers: 1, Retainer Morale: 4
4-5 - Max Retainers: 2, Retainer Morale: 5
6-8 - Max Retainers: 3, Retainer Morale: 6
9-12 - Max Retainers: 4, Retainer Morale: 7
13-15 - Max Retainers: 5, Retainer Morale: 8
16-17 - Max Retainers: 6, Retainer Morale: 9
18 - Max Retainers: 7, Retainer Morale: 10

Determining Ability Scores

Roll 3d6 and place as desired.

Character Creation Step Two: Character Class

In this version of the D&D game, there are four human character classes (Cleric, Fighter, Magic-User, Thief) and three demi-human character classes (Dwarf, Elf, Halfling).

Cleric

Clerics are human characters dedicated to an immortal being or system of beliefs. The strength of their beliefs provides them with some special powers such as the ability to turn undead and cast spells.

Hit Dice: A cleric rolls a d6 for hit points (6 + Con modifier at 1st level)
Armor: A cleric may wear any armor and use shields
Weapons: A cleric cannot use any weapon with a sharp edge or point. The cleric can use any non-edged weapon, ie weapons that are primarily bludgeons.
Turning Undead: A 1st level cleric can attempt to Turn Undead. Roll 2d6. The number rolled determines the most powerful type of undead affected. A roll of 7 or higher will turn a skeleton. A roll of 9 or higher will turn a zombie. A roll if 11 or higher will turn a ghoul. If the turning attempt is successful, the DM rolls 2d6 to determine how many Hit Dice of undead are turned. At least one undead creature is always turned, regardless of the DM's roll result.
Spells: A cleric doesn't gain the ability to cast spells until 2nd level.

Saving Throws (roll this number or better on 1d20 to negate or diminish the effects of a special attack):
--Death Ray/Poison: 11
--Magic Wands: 12
--Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 14
--Dragon Breath: 16
--Rod/Staff/Spell: 15
Experience Points needed for Level 2: 1,500

Fighter

Fighters are human characters skilled in combat.

Hit Dice: A fighter rolls d8 for hit points (8 + Con modifier at 1st level)
Armor: A fighter may wear any armor and use shields.
Weapons: A fighter may use any weapon.
Saving Throws (roll this number or better on 1d20 to negate or diminish the effects of a special attack):
--Death Ray/Poison: 12
--Magic Wands: 13
--Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 14
--Dragon Breath: 15
--Rod/Staff/Spell: 16
Experience Points needed for Level 2: 2,000

Magic-User

Magic-Users are human characters who study and wield magic.

Hit Dice: A magic-user rolls a d4 for hit points (4 + Con modifier at 1st level)
Armor: None. A magic-user may not wear armor and cannot use shields.
Weapons: Dagger only.
Spells: A magic-user is able to cast one 1st level spell per day at level 1. This spell is memorized at the beginning of the day from the magic-user's spellbook. The spellbook contains two 1st level spells (Read Magic and one other spell determined by the Dungeon Master), though the magic-user can scribe more spells into his spellbook by acquiring them from scrolls, enemy spellbooks and through magical instruction by a teacher or mentor.

--Death Ray/Poison: 13
--Magic Wands: 14
--Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 13
Experience Points needed for Level 2: 2,500

Thief

Thieves are human characters who have a number of special skills that lend themselves to less than legal activities. Whether the thief uses those skills for those purposes is up to them.

Hit Dice: A thief rolls a d4 for hit points (4 + Con modifier at 1st level)
Armor: Leather armor only and the thief may not use shields.
Weapons: Any missile weapon and any one-handed melee weapons.
Special Skills: A thief has a number of special skills they can attempt to use during the course of an adventure. Each is expressed as a percentage number which the thief has to roll at or under on 1d100 in order to use the skill successfully.
--Open Locks (OL): 15
--Find Traps or Remove Traps (FT/RT): 10
--Pick Pockets (PP): 20
--Move Silently (MS): 20
--Climb Walls (CW): 87
--Hide in Shadows (HS): 10
--Hear Noise (HN): 1-2 (on 1d6)
Backstab: If a thief can sneak up on an opponent, he can attempt a backstab with a one-handed melee weapon. If the thief goes unnoticed, he adds +4 to his attack roll and deals double damage with the backstab attack (roll damage, multiply by 2, then add any modifiers).

--Death Ray/Poison: 13
--Magic Wands: 14
Experience Points needed for Level 2: 1,200

Dwarf

Dwarves are a demi-humans who are short and broad, standing about 4' tall and weighing about 150 pounds. Adventuring dwarves share many traits in common with fighters.

Hit Dice: A dwarf rolls a d8 for hit points (8 + Con modifier at 1st level)
Armor: A dwarf can wear any armor and can use shields.
Weapons: Any small or medium melee weapon, any missile weapon except longbows.
Infravision: Dwarves have a limited ability to see in the dark by seeing heat and lack there-of. Infravision doesn't work if there are any light sources present. A dwarf can see up to 60' with infravision.
Languages: In addition to Common, dwarves know the languages of the dwarf, gnome, goblin and kobold races.
Detection: Dwarves can detect stonework traps, sliding walls, sloping corridors and new construction. A roll of 1 or 2 on 1d6 will successfully find these things if there are any to be found.

--Death Ray/Poison: 8
--Magic Wands: 9
--Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 10
--Dragon Breath: 13
--Rod/Staff/Spell: 12
Experience Points needed for Level 2: 2,200

Elf

Elves are slender and graceful demi-humans. They stand about 5 to 5 1/2 feet tall and usually weigh 100 to 120 pounds.

Hit Dice: An elf rolls a d6 for hit points (6 + Con modifier at 1st level)
Armor: An elf may wear any armor and can use shields.
Weapons: An elf can wield any weapon.
Infravision: This ability works just like dwarven infravision.
Languages: In addition to Common, elves know the languages of the elf, gnoll, hobgoblin and orc races.
Detection: An elf has a better chance of finding secret and hidden doors than other characters.
Immunity to Ghoul Paralysis: Elves are immune to the paralyzing touch of ghouls. Other forms of paralysis affect them normally.
Spells: An elf can cast one 1st level spell per day. This ability works just like the magic-user's ability to cast spells.

--Death Ray/Poison: 12
--Magic Wands: 13
--Dragon Breath: 15
Experience Points needed for Level 2: 4,000

Halfling

Halflings are short demi-humans with furry feet. They stand about 3 to 3 1/2 feet tall and weigh around 60 pounds.

Hit Dice: A halfling rolls a d6 for hit points (6 + Con modifier at 1st level)
Armor: Halfings can wear any armor and use shields, though their armor must be specially sized for them.
Weapons: Halflings can wield any small melee weapon, as well as shortbows and light crossbows.
Combat Bonuses: Halflings get a -2 bonus to Armor Class when fighting any creature larger than man-sized. Halflings get a +1 bonus to attack rolls when using missile weapons. Halflings get a +1 bonus to individual initiative (when used).
Hiding: A halfling who remains motionless has a chance to avoid being seen. In woodlands and underbrush this chance is 90%. Inside buildings and dungeons (as long as there are shadows or cover available) this chance is 33%.

--Death Ray/Poison: 8
--Magic Wands: 9
--Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 10
--Dragon Breath: 13
--Rod/Staff/Spell: 12
Experience Points needed for Level 2: 2,000

Character Creation Step Three: Adjust Ability Scores

Now that you've chosen a character class, you can tweak your ability scores to a bit to improve your Prime Requisite.

You can lower Strength, Intelligence or Wisdom by two points and then raise your Prime Requisite(s) by 1 point.
Constitution and Charisma cannot be raised or lowered.
Dexterity cannot be lowered, though it can be raised if it is a PR for your class.
A score cannot be lowered to less than 9. If it is already 10 or less, it cannot be lowered.

Character Creation Step Four: Hit Points

Hit points are a measure of how much damage your character can sustain before dying. Each character class has a type of die that is rolled to determine starting hit points.

Note that even if you have a Constitution penalty, you will always have at least 1 hit point at 1st level and will always gain at least 1 hit point every time you gain a level.

Hit Dice
1d4 = Magic-User, Thief
1d6 = Cleric, Elf, Halfling
1d8 = Fighter, Dwarf

House Rule Note: For the purposes of this game, we will be increasing our heroes' survivability a bit by giving them max hit points at 1st level.

Character Creation Step Six: Money and Equipment

Money

Roll 3d6 and multiply the result by 10. This is your character's beginning gold, which he can spend on weapons, armor and equipment.

Money Conversions
1 silver piece (sp) = 10 copper pieces (cp)
1 electrum piece (ep) = 5 silver pieces (sp) = 50 copper pieces (cp)
1 gold piece (gp) = 2 electrum pieces (ep) = 10 silver pieces (sp) = 100 copper pieces (cp)
1 platinum piece (pp) = 5 gold pieces (gp) = 10 electrum pieces (ep) = 50 silver pieces (sp) = 500 copper pieces (cp)

<equipment lists coming soon>

Character Creation Step Seven: Finishing Touches

Determine your character's alignment by choosing from Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic. Choose a name, a bit of background and personality, and your character's appearance. Ask the DM for any additional details.[/sblock]

Binder Fred

Finally had time to dive back into the rules so here's Sir Trinibar updated to Basic box D&D. (Decided to keep all my previous rolls, though I did shuffle his stats around a bit to reflect the changes.)

Are we going to be using Retainers, by the way, since right now it looks like it's just going to be me and Leif? If so, do we get money for them or do we have to find that as our first step to venturing into the dungeon (which could be gritty fun, granted :)).

How about different damage dice for different weapons? (I rather like the simplicity of "everything does 1d6" myself but YMMV).

Lastly, not a big thing but can he really not get a 1d6 damage "sword" instead of his 1d6 damage "mace"? His basic Crusader concept just shouts SWORD to me for some reason.

[sblock=Sir Trinibar]Level 1 cleric (Acolyte)
XP 0/1500
Alignment: Lawful
Languages: Common, Lawful

Str 13 +1
Dex 11
Con 11
Int 8 -1 (Can read/write simple words)
Wis 15 +1 (+5% XP)
Cha 5 -2

AC 2 (Plate armor and shield)
HP 6
Saving Throws (DR/Poi 10, Wnd/Poly 11, Prl/Stn 13, Brth 15, S/S 14)

THAC0 18 (19 missiles)
Move: 30' (Running 90')

Abilities:
Can use all armor and shields
Can wield all non-edge weapons
Turn Undead (2d6 HD of [roll 2d6] (Sklt 7, Zmb 9, Ghl 11, Wgh -))

Equipment: 130 gp total
Plate mail & Holy Cross Shield (95)
Crimson tabard
Family's Flanged Mace (5) "Scarlet tassels and capper"
Leather sling + 30 lead bullets (2) +1 40 / 80 /-1 160
Leather Back Pack (5) "Flap branded with cormorant of house Trinibar"
12 Iron Spikes + small hammer (3)
2 Large Sacks (4)
6 Torches (1)
Water skin (1)
1 week Standard Rations (5)
Hand Axe (4)
Sharpening Stone (3), also counts as flint​
Flat purse with a total of 2 solitary gp in it.[/sblock][sblock=Sir Trinibar's figurine on the table]View attachment 60232[/sblock]

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I was planning on using the different damages option, yes. :) As for a cleric with a sword, I'd like to stick with the no edged weapon thing as I have plans on having the world "evolve" into that idea as we play (and move through the editions).

Character looks good. :D Go ahead and edit this version of the character into your post in the Rogues Gallery thread.

Binder Fred

Done and updated the damage of his weapons accordingly while I was at it.

What about the Retainers thing? If we are going to use retainers, Cha becomes less of a dump-stat for him you see. Might actually have to swap it with his current Int score. Meaning he won't be able to read or write anymore.... Hm, maybe he's under some sort of curse or something?

Anyways, let me know and I'll work something out.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Ah yes, missed that one, sorry. That is actually up to you. I'm going to try to run this somewhat sandbox style, with you, the players, determining how to tackle adventures. So, retainers will be available. Whether you want to use them or not is up to you.

FYI, I have a house rule that we'll be using throughout all versions of Basic (B/X, BECMI, Rules Cyclopedia).

Every six levels (6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36), you may add one point to an ability score, or two points to a prime requisite. Maximum 18 (a PR of 17 can be raised one more time to 18).

Remove ads