• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Pool of Radiance

Thanee

First Post
That took a while, but we managed it before x-mas. :D

I hope you were (and are) having fun (and if not, I hope you tell me why, so we can do something about that :)).

Speaking of which, if there is anything you think we could improve on, just speak up and let me know, and I will gladly consider it. Also, if you think something should be changed, of course.

And if you have a moment to spare, how about you tell me - now that we have been on this journey for some time already - if and how you like some of the aspects of this game so far, like...

- the secret character sheets option, that was voted for in the beginning
- the (restricted) Gestalt option, that was voted for in the beginning
- the seperate threads for combat declarations, campaign information, etc
- the house rule about wound levels (no precise hps given) and the fatigued/exhausted conditions with severe/critical wounds (does this help in making the characters feel more 'alive'?)
- how the game is going in general
- how combats in the game are going
- do you have a good idea of the surroundings and (slowly) unfolding story
- anything else that comes to mind

Thank you! :D

Bye
Thanee

hafrogman

Adventurer
Yay for being notDead!

Thanee's Survey

1) Secret Character Sheets - I guess I'm not really sure what this adds to the game. Perhaps it's just because Kylest has nothing to hide, and you all have terrible secrets that you are concealing. But it doesn't really detract from the game either, it's a little less convenient than having a ENWorld thread, but it did save us from a certain crash.

2) Gestalt - I've decided I really enjoy this option (Gestalt in general, I haven't really run afoul of the limitations, and I don't expect to). I guess it may seem powergamey to some, but I enjoy the flexibility and options presented by gestalt.

3) Thread Division - Information thread is a great idea. The combat thread seems to be useful in keeping things clean, but not as important to me. Still, with good interlinking, it doesn't slow me down at all.

4) Vague Wounds - Well, other than impending death status, this one works fine for me. I was a little afraid of the spiral of death thing, but since it runs both ways, it doesn't seem to have caused too much trouble. As long as I don't have to keep track of my condition modifier math, I'm golden :D

5) Game in General - Great! I'm like the mission based theme, especially for PbP, it allows us to focus on the small scale, while still building towards larger things. The small scale allows us to keep track, keeping it weeks since we started on a journey instead of months, and the large scale still gives us a sense of overarching connection.

6) Combat - Descriptions? great. Maps? beautiful. Dice rolling? Not so good, please bear this is mind and try and kill my character less, m'kay? Thanks. :lol:

7) Surroundings and Story - I believe I'm getting there. In the end, we're still fairly small fish, but I hope this will build. Especially with our latest escapade.

8) That's it for now. I'll think on it more.

Thanee

First Post
hafrogman said:
1) Secret Character Sheets - I guess I'm not really sure what this adds to the game. Perhaps it's just because Kylest has nothing to hide, and you all have terrible secrets that you are concealing. But it doesn't really detract from the game either, it's a little less convenient than having a ENWorld thread, but it did save us from a certain crash.

Well, it's not like I'm terribly attached to that feature, and if you (that's the plural of you ;)) prefer it the other way, I can always make them available...

The idea there - in theory - is, that when you picture the characters you do not go through the stats, but through the descriptions. I'm not entirely sure, if that actually works or has any positive effect, though, hence the question. ;)

In the end, we're still fairly small fish, but I hope this will build. Especially with our latest escapade.

It will, don't worry about that. But it will take a good while; this is not really a small campaign. :)

Bye
Thanee

Scotley

Hero
Thanee said:
- the house rule about wound levels (no precise hps given) and the fatigued/exhausted conditions with severe/critical wounds (does this help in making the characters feel more 'alive'?)

I don't think the secret character sheet option adds significantly in a relatively straight foward game like this. In a game with more secrets and intrige it would be more useful. Of course maybe this game is filled such and I haven't noticed. Simply characters like Eldwyn and his fellow halfling Oog just don't engage in such things...

The Gestalt option has been a success in my opinion. I was concerned that it would be overpowered, but I haven't found that to be the case at all.

The seperate threads are working well. I aspire to DM such a smoothly run game someday.

The wound levels are working for me.

The game in general has been great fun. I was not really familiar with the adventure or video game so it has all been new and exciting for me. You run the game very well and the other players have added to the fun.

Combats have been smooth and well balanced. I've enjoyed Eldwyn even though he is mostly a support character in combat.

The maps and other information you've given us has helped me picture New Phlan and the areas around it. I am getting a feel for the larger plot.

It has been nice to play in a game with a DM and players who seem commited to a long running game. I've lost count of the number of games I've played that have started and died since this one began. My own like has been unusually busy at work and home in recent weeks. I hope than in the new year I'll be able to take a little more time with my posts. They've been rather short and to the point of late.

Scotley

Hero
Thanee said:
Well, it's not like I'm terribly attached to that feature, and if you (that's the plural of you ;)) prefer it the other way, I can always make them available...

Ya'll is the plural of you! As any proper southern will tell you, though some spell it as y'all. ;)

Mista Collins

First Post
Thanee said:

Thank you! :D

Bye
Thanee

1) Secret Character Sheets - I have always been a fan of the secret character sheet idea in all my games (home and PbP). But with this game I came across one issue. In all my other PbP games where I play a spellcaster, I can easily go to the Rogue's Gallery and strike out the spells I have cast for the day. Since I have no option of editing the character sheet, this is possible for me. There are ways I can work around this (word doc on my computer) or in my email (since I post from various PCs).

2) Gestalt - This is the first Gestalt game I have played (and only). I think it fits the theme of the campaign and adventures very well.

3) Thread Division - LOVE IT!! I wish all my games were as organized as this one is. It makes it easier for me to go back and recap stuff with the INFO thread. I like the seperate COMBAT thread because it keeps things clean.

4) Vague Wounds - I like this idea also. It adds a little more suspense and excitment to the game. Knowing that Orc I can deals 4-9 pts of damage and your character has 11 hit points isn't as fun as knowing your character is critically wounded and there is a chance the next blow could drop you.

5) Game in General - "Great! I'm like the mission based theme, especially for PbP, it allows us to focus on the small scale, while still building towards larger things. The small scale allows us to keep track, keeping it weeks since we started on a journey instead of months, and the large scale still gives us a sense of overarching connection." - Hafrogman (I second that)

6) Combat - I love the descriptions, I love the map, I love the flow, I love the seperate combat thread.

7) Surroundings and Story - We all are slowly getting to know the theme and story better. With the INFO thread at our disposal, it allows us to always check back.

8) I do have one more thing and it is something that has been really bugging me about how this game is going and how it is being run. I just think it would be better if a change took place, but it would be a major change that I don't see possible with the current group setup. My suggestion would be to change this game from a PbP to an in-person tabletop game. I love it so much I wish this were my regularly scheduled home game. :D

P.S. Since we have been performing these great deeds and making a name for ourselves, we need to let people know who we are! Any suggestions for a team/party name? j/k :lol:

Bloodweaver1

First Post
----- This does not bother me as much as if my character was a spell caster. I could see how not being able to regularly adjust your spell list could be bothersome.

----- Like others this is my first time with the Gestalt system and I am having a blast. Well done!

----- Nothing short of Outstanding.

----- It does. I highly enjoy it and it is a nice change of pace to the normal hp vs damage staple.

----- Very well. I have no complaints and I too enjoy partaking in a long lasting, stable game.

----- Again nothing short of Outstanding. The map and the seperate COMBAT thread are very helpful in keeping everything organized, simple, and clean.

----- I too like the short 'mission' esk feel of the game. However, this only works due to the fact that you have done a great job in laying out a well over arching campaign that binds everything together.

----- Actually now that you mentioned it. In the Savage Species Handbook, there is magical item called "Necklace of Natural Weapons" and was wondering if would be possible for Aylor to obtain one. In summary it gives natural attack(s) the ability to be enchanted the same way weapons can (via the Necklace). It does cost a bit more to be enchanted than a standard weapon (+600gp) and it follows the normal weapon enchanting rules (+1 2600, +2 8600, etc). Let me know if you need the specifics.

-Blood

Thanee

First Post
@Bloodweaver: The problem with the necklace and the monk is, that there is no clear number of natural weapons, though multiple ones are involved. Maybe it would be better to use the Bracers of Striking from Magic of Faerûn (p. 155), which work in a similar fashion.

Bye
Thanee

Bloodweaver1

First Post
@Thanee: Works. So since it counts as a double blunt weapon a +1 Bracers of Striking would cost 5,310 gp (4000 for +1 & 1310 for bracers)? Hmmm might be better grabbing a Monk's Belt and save the bracers for later.

-Blood

Remove ads