[OOC]The Claws of Ethelgart CANCELED

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm! 3.5e, eh? Been awhile, but the theme of religious strife is very interesting to me.

It'd be fun to have a druid in that context, someone who still cleaves to the older, persecuted faith...

Erwinfoxjj

First Post
Cool, come up with a reason you are serving in the Ethelgart forces too, be it money or some other such motive like finding out why the country has all of a sudden converted to a religion thought dead and unheard of. Also, should I start a rogues gallery thread for this game or are characters placed somewhere else?

Kordre

Explorer
[OOC]The Claws of Ethelgart (Homebrew World, 3.5E D&D) RECRUITING

I'm interested. I'm thinking a religious zealot cleric who has to learn to control his zeal under these new religious law while maintaining faithful to his god.

Is it a point buy system for stats? Or typical dice rolls? Roll 4d6 drop 1 dice and reroll 1's?

Shayuri

First Post
The immediate problem of thwarting the goblin/orc invasion trumped what was at the time a more distant concern. I don't think my character really 'got' that this newer faith would be so aggressively spread, or that the followers of the old faith could be intimidated into abandoning it.

Now she's hoping to work change from the inside, and try to mitigate harsh policies with more humane interpretation and enforcement. And, failing that, hoping to gather information she can use against them.

Erwinfoxjj

First Post
Woops, forgot that. Its roll 4d6 drop 1 dice and reroll 1s.

You could also be a cleric of the new religion, the Ancient Ones. For context purpose I will let you know some history. After the Emperor converted to the new religion all the temples were destroyed with thousands of holy men being executed and murdered in a single weeks time, this is referred to as the Week of Martyrs by many holy men outside the empire, while it was called the Reawakening inside the Empire. There are four main Ancient ones that the Order of the Ancients believe they can bring back with enough faith.

Shayuri

First Post
Eeek...your text turned invisible!

What is known of the old faith? Is it druidic at all? Or is druidism something else entirely?

Also...hmm...all that carnage in a week's time. That would be hard to overlook or rationalize working with, even to subvert from within.

I must think on that. This concept may not work after all. :)

Erwinfoxjj

First Post
Im not trying to limit you guys, just give you some context of what is happening here, sorry if it seems that way. The old faith is the Cyrinthian divinity practiced in the southern kingdom of Dalmar and in the city states past the Quinnbern mountains in the west. Druidism is different, their faith is older than the Cyrinthian Divinity. They know of the Ancient Ones, the Prathul, who exsisted before the gods did. Druids were able to escape the wrath of the Empire simply because there are so few in this kingdom. Ethelgart is an industrialized giant with coal burning furnaces and early arquebus guns. Metal is massed produced and the word of the day is always "progress" while the religious fervor encompasses all other aspects of life.

Shayuri

First Post
Ahhh, I seeeeeee...

Okay then, that helps me a bit.

I wasn't complaining, either...any game setting will put limits on the concepts that work within them. That's part of what defines what a setting is. :) I was trying to evaluate my ideas within the context of the setting you have here.

So in this case, a druid wouldn't necessarily be directly threatened by this new upheaval...at least no more so than any other non-practitioner of the new faith...which would allow her to work with the regime in ways she felt were beneficial to her and her aims. That said, the actions against this other faith would be considered reprehensible, and she'd be motivated to try to mitigate them.

So yes...this idea can work. I think I'm going to run with this.

[sblock=Stat Roll]Started to use the 'roll stat' thing, but you can't reroll the 1's that way, so I just used 6 normal 4d6 rolls. Came out rather well. This is under the name 'Maighan.'

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4321359/
Rerolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4321363/

4d6 → [3,5,1,2] = (11) Reroll 1 to 4; Final: 13
4d6 → [3,5,5,1] = (14) Reroll 1 t0 2; Final 13
4d6 → [6,4,3,4] = (17) Final 14
4d6 → [6,1,6,6] = (19) Final 18 (didn't reroll this 1 because it can't get any better)
4d6 → [6,2,4,5] = (17) Final 15
4d6 → [2,2,3,6] = (13) Final 11

So that'll be:
Str: 11
Dex: 14
Con: 16 (includes the lvl 4 +1)
Int: 13
Wis: 18
Cha: 13

I'll get a sheet and background worked up directly.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Erwinfoxjj

First Post
Ahhh, I seeeeeee...

Okay then, that helps me a bit.

I wasn't complaining, either...any game setting will put limits on the concepts that work within them. That's part of what defines what a setting is. :) I was trying to evaluate my ideas within the context of the setting you have here.

So in this case, a druid wouldn't necessarily be directly threatened by this new upheaval...at least no more so than any other non-practitioner of the new faith...which would allow her to work with the regime in ways she felt were beneficial to her and her aims. That said, the actions against this other faith would be considered reprehensible, and she'd be motivated to try to mitigate them.

So yes...this idea can work. I think I'm going to run with this.

Excellent! So should I start a rogues gallery for players to put characters in?

Remove ads