[OOC thread] Midnight at Milwood Morgue [D20 Modern: Dark*Matter]

edventure

First Post
Another lurker or player?

I've never played D20 Modern or a PBP. Plenty of D20 D&D and a smattering of D20 Star Wars. Here's something I came up with off the cuff.

Ishaharo Tanaka was not usually on the good side of the law growing up around the Japanese mafia. He became a low level grunt breaking legs for the local loan shark. All was going well until he refused to collect from one woman in particular. He fled from Japan to the other side of the Eurasian continent and ended up in England. Now he's just laying low and trying to earn enough money to fulfill his dream of opening his own Martial Arts studio.

Cowpie Zombie

First Post
Remus Lupin said:
Oh, just a quick possibility. I don't have d20 Modern here, but don't I get an extra +1 or +2 competance bonus for taking skills from my occupation that are already class skills as a Smart Hero? That may be where those extra number come from. As I say, I'll check when I get home.

Ah, that's it! I just looked up Student (p.34) and you're right..."Choose three of the following skills as permanent class skills. If a skill you select is already a class skill, you receive a +1 competence bonus on checks using that skill" (34).

Thus Knowledge (arcane lore), Knowledge (theology and philosophy) and Research all receive the +1.

You're right, dude...the character stands as is.

Now everyone else, get on it, eh? ;)

Cowpie Zombie

First Post
edventure said:
I've never played D20 Modern or a PBP. Plenty of D20 D&D and a smattering of D20 Star Wars. Here's something I came up with off the cuff.

Ishaharo Tanaka was not usually on the good side of the law growing up around the Japanese mafia. He became a low level grunt breaking legs for the local loan shark. All was going well until he refused to collect from one woman in particular. He fled from Japan to the other side of the Eurasian continent and ended up in England. Now he's just laying low and trying to earn enough money to fulfill his dream of opening his own Martial Arts studio.

Cool concept...sad to say we're pretty full right now, with four players and three lurking. Final list will be Monday, so check then.

:)

Greydt

First Post
Nice to be aboard :D

Joyce Minton (Dedicated Hero 1): Medium-size human; HD 1d6; hp 6; Mas 10; Init +0; Spd 30 ft.; Defense 11, touch 10, flat-footed 10; BAB +0; Grap +0; Atk -1 melee; Full Atk -1 Melee or +0 ranged; FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; AL Good, Lawful; SV Fort +1 Ref +0 Will +4; AP 5; Rep +1; Str 8, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 15.
Occupation: Doctor (bonus class skills: Knowledge (Earth/Life Sciences), Treat Injury)
Skills: Craft (pharmaceutical) +5, Investigate +4, Knowledge (Business) +5, Knowledge (Art) +4, Knowledge (Civics) +4, Knowledge (Earth/Life Sciences) +8, Knowledge (Physical Sciences) +4, Listen +7, Profession +7, Sense Motive +7, Spot +7, Treat Injury +10
Feats: Simple Weapon Proficiency, Wild Talent (Missive), Surgery.
Talent: Healing Knack
Possessions (Wealth 2d4+5): Business Clothing, Overcoat, Handbag (High Fashion), Cell Phone, PDA, Suitcase (Casual Clothing, Business Clothing, Formal (Designer) Clothing)

[Missive (3/day): Currently tends to accidentally use it when angry, frustrated or annoyed]

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Tom Matthiessen, Dedicated Hero 1
Medium-size human; HD 1d6+1; hp 7; Mas 12; Init +1 (Dex); Spd 30 ft.; Defense 12, touch 12, flat-footed 11; BAB +0; Grap +1; Atk +1 melee or +1 ranged; Full Atk +1 melee, +1 ranged; FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; AL Chaos, Good; SV Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +4; AP 5; Rep +1; Str 11, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 11; Reputation +1.

Skills: Drive +5, Investigate +7, Knowledge (earth and life sciences) +9, Knowledge (technology) +6, Navigate +4, Research +4, Sense Motive +6, Spot +7
Feats: Attentive, Run, Simple Weapons Proficiency
Talent: Skill Emphasis (Knowledge: earth and life sciences)
Possessions (Wealth 2d4+3): Casual clothing, cell phone, digital camera, notebook computer, windbreaker

In his "real life", Tom Matthiessen is a trucker in his home city of Minneapolis, MN. In his off-time, however, he's a cryptozoologist. Since he saw what he believed to be a Bigfoot five years ago, he's investigated a number of reports of strange and unusual creatures. Mostly these have been of other sightings of Bigfoot or sasquatch, but in the past half-decade he's also investigated such oddities as maned African lions seen in the suburbs of Chicago, gigantic raptors (Thunderbirds), and even a handful of sightings of El Chupacabra. Of course, almost all of these cases panned out to have little or no basis in fact. But Tom didn't give up hope, in fact he planned a few trips abroad to investigate some strange animals seen there. The latest was an investigation of some cats, which appeared to be black panthers, near Milwood, England.

In appearance, Tom's not a very impressive-looking sort. He's sort of stocky, with thick black hair and a thin pair of spectacles. He nearly always has an unshaven look to him, and is usually sporting a well-worn Jersey Devils cap. Heavily addicted to coffee, Tom constantly drinks it while he whiles away the time preparing reports on his laptop of his latest investigation.

Last edited:

zenld

First Post
I didn't mean to sound unsure. I am in!
Sorry he isn't done yet, but I wanted to make sure you knew I wanted to play. I will spec him out tonight.

Edit: I believe the mechanics are all done. more background on the way.

Character Name: Adam Carsen
Character Class(es): Fast1
Character Starting Occupation: Investigative
Allegiances:

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 150
Eyes: blue
Hair: light brown

Character Level: 1
EXP Points Gained: ~
EXP Needed For Next Level: 1000

Known Languages (Literacy): English (lit); French (lit); Japanese (lit)

-------------------------------------------------------
Strength: 12 (+1)
Dexterity: 16 (+3)
Constitution: 10 (+0)
Intelligence: 14 (+2)
Wisdom: 14 (+2)
Charisma: 12 (+1)
Defense: 16
Flatfooted Defense: 13
Touch: 13

Class Bonus: 3
Armor Penalty: ~
Maximum DEX bonus: ~
Armor Type & Weight: ~

Special Defense Notes:
Hit Points: 8
Save vs. Fortitude: +0
Save vs. Reflex: +4
Save vs. Will: +2

Special Save Notes:
Action Points: 5
Wealth Bonus: +10
Initiative Modifier: +7
Base Attack Bonus: +0
Melee Attack Bonus: +1
Ranged Attack Bonus: +3

Special Combat Notes:
Base Speed: 30'
Weapons:
knife (1lbs) 1d4+1

Weapon weight: 1lbs
Skills:
(28 Points available)

Craft (visual art) (Int) +6
*Hide (Dex) +5
Knowledge (current events) (Int) +4
Knowledge (Streetwise) (Int) +7
Listen (Wis) +4
*Move Silent (Dex) +5
Profession (Wis) +6
Read/Write Language +2 (French, Japanese)
Sleight of Hand (Dex) +7
Speak Language +2 (French, Japanese)
Spot (Wis) +4
*Tumble (Dex) +5

* Armor Check Penalty Applies
+Cannot Use Unless Trained
Feats:
Alertness, Improved Initiative, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Simple Weapons Proficiency
Class Abilities, Talents & Features:
Evasion
Equipment & Gear (include weight of individual items and total weight):

everyday use
>day pack (2lbs) =10lbs
photojournalist vest w/ film, penlight, and multitool (2lbs)
notebook and pencil (.5lbs)
standard flashlight (1lbs)
first aid kit (3lbs)
duct tape (1lbs)
*gsm cell phone
pda (.5lbs)
digital camera (.5)
>standard duffel (camera bag) (2lbs) =7lbs +/-
35mm camera (2lbs)
tripod (3lbs)
alternate lenses (will spec if i need to)
*film (will spec if i need to)

occasional/travel use
>aluminum travel case (40lbs) (10lbs)
used to transport camera equipment, ie while on airplanes
includes room to put the duffel in
road atlas - used while working. when on vacation, tends to try to lose himself
>large duffel (3lbs)
used as suitcase, contains all clothing and toiletries
several changes of clothing (3lbs ea)
includes "dress clothes"

*No weight worth noting.

EQUIPMENT WEIGHT: 17lbs
ARMOR WEIGHT: 0lbs
WEAPON WEIGHT: 1lbs
TOTAL WEIGHT: 18lbs

Carrying Capacity
Light: 43
Medium: 86
Heavy: 130
Background (subject to change)
Born to lower middle class parents, Adam Carsen learned to excel at two things: getting into trouble and taking pictures. After finishing a photojournalism degree (since he didn't feel he could make as much as a fine art photographer, plus he wanted to travel), he took a job with National Geographic. After only a few years, the demand for his work was enough for him to go freelance, and his work has been seen in magazines, newspapers and books the world over.

His time as a war photographer earned him many awards as well as the personal emnity of several terrorist groups and other such loveable organizations. He also trained with many different military and paramilitary organizations where he learned skills with firearms and self-defense. Ever since, he has always carried a knife given him by his friends with Spetznaz and has collected other such weapons from different groups.

His habit of always wearing fatigues and cargo pants also stems from these assignments.

A relatively non-descript individual, Adam is always working. Even on vacations and breaks, he always has a camera or two on him, and often
sneaks into off-limits areas, just to see if he can. He's also a likeable enough fellow that he tends to get away with it, most of the time.

While relatively good natured, Adam has seen the worst the human condition can offer, and wages a silent war against those who would betray their fellow man.

Last edited:

Cowpie Zombie

First Post
Hurrah! Everyone's (almost) ready!

Zenld, glad you're in, dude! :D

Okay people, so here's where we're at: I've checked over Remus's character and everything's in place. Give me a day to crunch the numbers for everyone else, and if there are any problems or questions, I'll post them here.

Otherwise, you can plan on starting Sunday (tomorrow). Wheeee!

Oh, and remember that in d20 Modern ALL characters begin play with the Simple Weapons Proficiency feat as a bonus feat.

Expect an update from me tonight or, at the latest, Sunday morning.

I'm stoked!

Cowpie Zombie

.....AND BY THE WAY, I've officially "CLOSED" the thread for recruiting.

Last edited:

Cowpie Zombie

First Post
UPDATE (Saturday night, 7:26 pm PST)

I've read through everyone's stats and for the most part, everything looks fine. I'm not an anal-retentive bean counter, so perhaps a number is off here or there...whaddever. Here's what I noted:

ZENLD (character: Adam Carsen)
--Touch defense score missing (16)
--Wealth bonus is listed as 8 and should actually be higher (I forgot to tell everyone this, so it's my fault, but your starting Wealth bonus will be 8 (max of 2d4, basically) plus your occupation bonus. So Adam's starting Wealth should be 8 + 2 (for Investigative profession).
--You've listed "+2" for both Read/Write and Speak Language skill, but remember that these skills have no modifier, only ranks. You can either read/write and/or speak a language, or you cannot. No modifier. Technically, then, it should be listed like this: "Read/Write Language (Japanese, French), Speak Language (Japanese, French)".
--a little more background/flavour text for Adam would be helpful.
****Adam rocks!

REMUS LUPIN (character: James Hollenbach)
--Make sure to note "Simple Weapons Proficiency" as one of your feats (it's a bonus feat for all d20 Modern player characters).
****Jim rocks!

GREYDT (character: Joyce Minton)--Everything looks great here. Joyce rocks!

ANDREW D. GALE (character: Tom Matthiessen)
--You've listed "Blue collar (cryptozoologist)" as starting occupation. More detail needed about exactly what Tom does (ie mechanic? Janitor? Bruiser?). Surely he doesn't actually make a living from cryptozoology!?
--Be sure to note "Simple Weapons Proficiency" in feats.
--You've listed "Skill emphasis" as Tom's Talent, but didn't note which skill. I'm assuming it's Knowledge (earth and life sciences) since your modifier for that skill is +9, but if you could indicate in the Talent line which skill receives the emphasis it would help clarify.
--a little more background/flavor text would help flesh Tom out a bit.
****Tom rocks!

Okay, you've all got your assignments, kids. Once I get updates for the above comments, we're ready to rock and roll...man, I'm pumped...

Cowpie Zombie

zenld

First Post
Cowpie Zombie said:
ZENLD (character: Adam Carsen)
--Touch defense score missing (16)
--Wealth bonus is listed as 8 and should actually be higher (I forgot to tell everyone this, so it's my fault, but your starting Wealth bonus will be 8 (max of 2d4, basically) plus your occupation bonus. So Adam's starting Wealth should be 8 + 2 (for Investigative profession).
--You've listed "+2" for both Read/Write and Speak Language skill, but remember that these skills have no modifier, only ranks. You can either read/write and/or speak a language, or you cannot. No modifier. Technically, then, it should be listed like this: "Read/Write Language (Japanese, French), Speak Language (Japanese, French)".
--a little more background/flavour text for Adam would be helpful.
****Adam rocks!

i'm glad you like. as to the languages, i wrote it that way to show ranks taken, so both of us would know. no ability mod was used. will fix ac and wealth. equipment and more background are on the way. will have within a couple hours. just got home.

zen

Remove ads