OOC tread of "The Broken Tower"

Someone

Adventurer
The rules update clarify that "Forced movement is normally twodimensional; all the squares of the movement must be on the same horizontal plane. Forced movement can become three-dimensional when the target is flying, is moved through a substance such as water, or is on a non-horizontal surface, such as an incline, that supports it. This means an earthbound target cannot normally be pushed to a square in the air, but a hovering target can be. Similarly, a target can be pulled down a flight of stairs, and it can be slid in any direction underwater."

If there is no wall on the side of a set of stairs, though, moving in the horizontal plane should allow one to push/pull/slide a creature off of the side of the stairs, causing them to be moved into the air at the same height as he was originally, until at that point, he falls.

Phoenix8008

First Post
I think what Someone's rules quote is showing is that I couldn't have dragged him up to that height in the first place. Only had 4 squares of sliding available. Not enough movement to slide him over to the bottom of the stairs and then up them in order to throw him off. I didn't know that the pull couldn't go vertical if that was the only direction 'towards' the 'caster'. If nothing else, I'll pull him over to the wall beside the stairs still so that his back is to the wall and people can re-surround him from there. At least I critted him on that attack, so I can't complain too much. Sounded awesome in my head.

Yeah, Pulls, Pushes, and Slides, do not allow for 3D movement unless the target was capable of performing that 3D movement on its own (or more specifically as Someone's rules quote shows, in terrain such as water, or in the air while flying). While this isn't applicable in this situation (and perhaps not for a while longer depending on your power selection), DO keep in mind that TELEPORTS ALLOW FOR 3D MOVEMENT regardless of what terrain they are in!!!

If you try to pull him off the side of the stair case, the monster gets a saving throw. If he makes, he ends up prone on the stairs where he caught himself, if he fails, he falls and takes any appropriate damage. And CFW is right, you can teleport creatures into the air, but they also get a saving throw to avoid this. So glad to see that the website is finally back up and running.

EDIT: Just read Arshaka's post, I thought you were trying to push one of the buggers of the stair case. So yeah, Someone is correct, you wouldn't be able to pull him up.

Last edited:

treex

First Post
I'll still be MIA until at least after Christmas, my finals are here. I know, it sucks, my exams are during Christmas. *sigh*

*hits the books again*

Phoenix8008

First Post
I'm still trying to figure out this new look of ENworld and see which threads I need to do something in. Getting used to it slowly. I guess I need to modify my post of Arshaka's actions to reflect the now known rules about the forced slide.

Grimmjow

First Post
CFW would you mind playing treex then? im not sure i wanna play him for not long (no offense Treex)

as for the two day thing i'll let it slide while people get use to everything

Remove ads