OPPENHEIMER - New Trailer

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
PPS-

Indisputable Nolan Rankings going into this movie ...

1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. Dunkirk
4. The Dark Knight
5. Inception
6. Tenet
7. Interstellar
8 Following
9. Insomnia
10. Dark Knight Rises
11 Batman Begins

(I moved Interstellar up two since the last time I ranked them)
Swap The Prestige with Inception (The Prestige is very good in a number of ways, but has some ridiculous plot holes - Inception is, to my mind, one of the best realized science fiction movies ever made), Memento for Interstellar (I absolutely love Interstellar, though I don't find it quite as perfect as Inception), and The Dark Knight for Batman Begins (Batman Begins was a perfect origin story - the next two movies both suffered from feeling like six hours of plot shoved into two and a half hours of movie, and would have been better done as TV series)...

...and then this is correct. :)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Christopher Nolan has yet to make a bad movie. There are movies that are truly great, and there are movies that are interesting, but none that are just bad. AFAIC, he's our modern-day Kubrick.
Eh, I see Nolan as more a modern day Spielberg. Id say Ari Aster is much more like a modern Kubrick.
Given the unblemished track record dating back to 1998, I'm going to see it.

PS- His best movie is, and remains, The Prestige. Fight me.
I'd normally jump in, but these dramatized history pieces often sit poorly for me. I will definitely see on stream.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I’ll dispute Tenet. It’s a cool premise, and has some amazing scenes (the end battle where you see people battling bsck and forth was seriously neat), but there’s something about that movie that just doesn’t work.

Haven't seen "Tenet", but "Interstellar" is that way for me.
I feel this way about most Nolan films. Now that I think about it, every JJ Abrahams film too.

Christopher Nolan has yet to make a bad movie. There are movies that are truly great, and there are movies that are interesting, but none that are just bad. AFAIC, he's our modern-day Kubrick.
Personally I disagree but only re: one movie - The Dark Knight Rises is a total mess on every level except visual and sonic spectacle. It's particularly bizarre as it attempts to engage in a lot of unnecessary and weird "ideology" which makes Nolan seem very right-wing in a way I don't think he actually is based on his other work. For my money, that's a bad movie. Not a terrible or unwatchable one, but like, subpar.

And Interstellar is shallow as a puddle despite clearly thinking of itself as a Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, but I couldn't call it a bad movie because it features Matt Damon trying to headbutt Matthew McConaughey's space helmet open. How could I call a movie featuring that scene "bad"? Madness.
PS- His best movie is, and remains, The Prestige. Fight me.
Why would I fight someone who is plainly correct!?
1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. Dunkirk
4. The Dark Knight
5. Inception
6. Tenet
7. Interstellar
8 Following
9. Insomnia
10. Dark Knight Rises
11 Batman Begins
I'd only swap the last two on this list, otherwise it's spot-on. I will say from six downwards you're heading into very "normal quality" movie territory, whereas the first five are a cut above.

I'd normally jump in, but these dramatized history pieces often sit poorly for me. I will definitely see on stream.
Yeah that's been my experience. I've seen good ones, but they're usually either not played entirely straight (c.f. I, Tonya) or military/true crime stuff (which is a distinct genre from scientific stuff). So I will likely do the same.

Stalker0

Legend
Here's the book that inspired the movie

No, here's what really inspired the movie.

Remove ads