• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Order of the Big Red Bear (In character thread)

nuthkavi

First Post
Patlin said:
About 50 feet below you, some metal appears to be glinting out of the foliage. Climbing down should be possible, but will require effort (DC 10 climb check.)

I'm not a terribly good climber. Kerwick, is your companion (named what?) willing to take a closer look?

Patlin

Explorer
nuthkavi said:
I'm not a terribly good climber. Kerwick, is your companion (named what?) willing to take a closer look?

Which question will require you to determine what tricks the companion knows.

kerwick

First Post
ooc: Any differences with the animal companion and the animal friendship spell for tricks knows? I think the tricks I would have taught him are scout (which he has already done), fetch, return, and maybe attack eyes. Also, can I use the wild empathy to comunicate with him a bit more or should I just start taking Speak with Animals each day?

Kerwick calls into the air and Redwing screaches again then slowly sinks into the gorge towards the glittering metal. Redwing sense Kerwick's concern about weapons and is ready at a moment to plunge into the gorge to pick up speed before climbing away to safety.

Patlin

Explorer
I'm not overly familiar with animal companions; I'll leave it to you to figure out. Take your best guess based on the info I linked to above.

Redwing dives down, exploring the source of the glint. Moments later he lands on Kerwick's shoulder. Whatever he saw, he apparently doesn't consider it a threat.

nuthkavi

First Post
Patlin said:
Redwing dives down, exploring the source of the glint. Moments later he lands on Kerwick's shoulder. Whatever he saw, he apparently doesn't consider it a threat.

Well, I'm a bit curious, but given that it's not a threat, and I don't see an easy way down, I'm ready to move on.

ooc: I'll be traveling from Sunday to Wednesday with no computer access.

kerwick

First Post
Since my aerial friend doesn't think it is a threat, I look around for a tree or something solid to tie the rope to then climb down. It's only 50' of rope so it might not be enough. If it isn't at least it will give me a good look around. And I can see if it is worth the risk of going the last bit. It could be someone in armor that fell off of the path...

ooc: The rope should help with the climb check right?

Patlin

Explorer
Kerwick is strong enough that he wouldn't need a rope if he took his time and went carefully, but the rope would indeed help in climbing the slope, especially if he needs to get up in a hurry. Tying it to a nearby tree, he easilly glides down the slope to check out the glint of metal. (OOC: With the rope, it's only DC 2, Kerwick's modifier is +0, so he can reliably make even the DC 10 climb by taking 10.)

The glint of metal was comiing from a body in a chain mail shirt, mostly covered with debry. It's a young human man, only a day or two dead. The death wound is from an arrow, the broken off shaft still jutting from his chest. From his dress, you would guess him to be a caravan guard. A chill runs through you at the thought that your own recent employment could have ended in this way, had you been less fortunate.

kerwick

First Post
Call up to Gabriel to let him know what I found. Check the body and the surounding area. Try to remember if I heard about a caravan being ambushed in the last few days...

Patlin

Explorer
Investigating the scene, you do discover additional evidence of a caravan being attacked. Looks like it was diverted off the trail to the north. If there were other fatalities from the attack, the bodies were disposed of somehow.

ooc: I'll be away skiing for a week. I'll check in when I can.

Remove ads