• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Origins of the "New" Races

Lorthanoth

Explorer
I can feel the anger swelling within you, it gives you focus, makes you strong!

What's wrong with a pretend-elf based on a mythological and literary archetype (the fey folk that can slip into the other world) being able to dimension hop once per fight?

I'm missing something here...

Fallen Seraph

First Post
You know it was actually really good timing for WoTC to have 4e with a core Fey race. Since well look at the excitement and success Changeling has had, obviously right now there is certainly a market/wish to play Fey beings.

Now true Changeling is entirely oriented toward Fey. But hey given the success of Changeling wouldn't be surprised to find a fair number of players who play both Changeling and 4e and would want to bring a bit of that Changeling flavour into 4e.

Shroomy

Adventurer
People will have to pry fey step out of my cold, dead hands I tells ya! ;) Seriously, I love the ability and would not want it removed from the game.

Imaro

Legend
You know it was actually really good timing for WoTC to have 4e with a core Fey race. Since well look at the excitement and success Changeling has had, obviously right now there is certainly a market/wish to play Fey beings.

Now true Changeling is entirely oriented toward Fey. But hey given the success of Changeling wouldn't be surprised to find a fair number of players who play both Changeling and 4e and would want to bring a bit of that Changeling flavour into 4e.

Actually, I wish WotC had actually used this game or even Exalted for the inspiration for their "Fair Folk", but Changeling's Arcadia and Fey are honestly light years beyond WotC's Feywild and their take on the Fey ... as of right now.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Actually, I wish WotC had actually used this game or even Exalted for the inspiration for their "Fair Folk", but Changeling's Arcadia and Fey are honestly light years beyond WotC's Feywild and their take on the Fey ... as of right now.
Oh same here, same here. My 4e Fey are quite well they are rip-offs of Changeling :p

But given that Fey certainly wasn't the focus of 4e overall I can let it slide. Maybe we will get lucky in Manual of The Planes or a specific Fey book.

Imaro

Legend
Maybe we will get lucky in Manual of The Planes or a specific Fey book.

;) Yeah, that's why I said as of now... but I'm not holding my breath, WotC seems to be going for a very simplistic cosmology and I doubt if it will have the type of depth, imagery or feeling Arcadia has.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
;) Yeah, that's why I said as of now... but I'm not holding my breath, WotC seems to be going for a very simplistic cosmology and I doubt if it will have the type of depth, imagery or feeling Arcadia has.
I dunno in a weird kinda way, Arcadia could work. In that WoTC seems to be going for the, "let your own creativity and imagination feel it in", so if they were to just blatantly rip off Arcadia it could work. Since... Well, each True Fae realm would be completely up to the imagination of the DM, given that it alters on a True Fae's whim. It would really be the Hedge that be most fleshed out.

But now... I am just daydreaming :p In reality, I am hoping for perhaps them sliding some of the folklore and mythology of Fey into that part of the book. I have been tempted if I started a Fey-oriented one for example for it to be polite to give a Eladrin a glass of milk and biscuits/or bread if he enters his home. Since in folklore (especially Ireland) you leave bread and milk out for the Fey.

Overall I hope it deals with less the Feywild and more how the Feywild and Fey interact with the world. Lets find out what 4e versions of grooves, fey mounds, fey rings, etc. be like.

Remove ads