Pandemic

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Yes. It's a rather cool game, but there are some serious caveats to that. I don't think it's deep enough for much repeated play.

I use it in my boardgames class to teach co-operative strategy, and it's very good for that. If you enjoy the puzzle it presents you may enjoy it. Beware the "solo player" syndrome where one player tells everyone else what to do.

Cheers!

Wycen

Explorer
Contrary to Merric, I'd say it has replay value. Now, once you've played it 3 or 4 times you'll realize why. Because you keep thinking, "we were this close to winning, let's try again!"

I've played at least half a dozen times and I think we've only won once and if I recall correctly we think we screwed up the final turn, (to our advantage).
The game is challenging, and certain roles absense or presense have something to do with that. The medic removes more cubes than the others and the researcher can cure strains with 1 fewer card. I've been told, (but haven't actually read the rules) that if you play as written you randomly pick the roles and that table talk should be "in character" i.e. instead of saying "I can cure black with 1 more card" you say "If someone could meet me at Egypt and assist with their trouble..."

I personally suspect that last part is our own house rule, but again I haven't read the rules, so whatever.

I think it is important with the timing of when you use your special cards, but I haven't read anything online about hints or suggestions.

Cosmetically the game looks nice. I think somebody in our group put their cubes in petri dishes for that extra touch.

Remove ads