Parting Gifts

kinem

Adventurer
Practiced Manifester is OK.

Jemal, that's mostly good advice but I disagree about the AC. A few more points of AC could matter if an opponent is Power Attacking a lot, and against iterative attacks. You may want to invest in other defenses though.

Jemal

Adventurer
Guess everyone has their own opinion on the subject, I usually go for the high AC characters, anyways, so it doesn't bother me. The reasoning I was under is that if your AC WITH those 3 maxed items is, say.. 32, and a lvl 20 fighter with say a +4 greatsword and a 20 str, weapon focus/Weapon Spec attacks you , he's got a +30 attack. An 'average' Fighter, I'ld say.

To hit you he needs: 2,7,12,17. On average he'll hit you 2.3 times/round.
If, on the other hand, you were to drop each of your items by 1 (+4 ring, +4 amulet, +7 bracers) he now needs : 2,4,9,14. On average he hits you 2.75 times/round. That's .45 hits/round, or an average of say 1 extra hit every 2 rounds.

His damage with that sword averages to 20. So in other words, avoiding an average of, say 10 damage per round costs you 51,000 GP. (And that's only during the rounds that he GETS to full-round you).
Though keep in mind, that this doesn't take into account Power Attacking or any other special attacks, just the straight attacking.

To some people, that's worth it. To me, it's not. As I said, to each his own.

Though looking back at this post, I think I like math a little too much...

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
BTW, Tavern would suit me just fine. Kurina fits in literally anywhere.
Speaking of which, I'm sorry She's not done yet, will be ASAP.
Before I go to bed tonight! That's a promise that I have every intention of possibly trying to maybe keep.
;)

1 more question, btw - As to the Alternate body slots, what if they keep with the 'body slot affinities' chart in the DMG? (Boots=movement, Shirt=physical improvement, Bracers=combat, etc) Or are you just using a flat 50% price increase Regardless, if it's not the same slot as printed?

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
How are you doing? I know it takes a long time to stat up a high level character.

Yggdrasil, as far as I can see everything looks OK, though I haven't checked every detail. Languages should be Bylan, Elven, Orcish, Sasoguese. I see you list your mount as 'deceased'. I will let you trade in the mount (this doesn't mean you never had a special mount, but it means you can't have one in the future) for a bonus feat and a tattoo of Resistance +3.

(There is no 'common' IMC, but Bylan is effectively 'common' on the continent of Bylan. Other human languages are Sasoguese and Chovian.)

Void, it'll take me a while to go over the psionic stuff. It already looks to be a powerful character, even before the wizard spells.

Jemal, I'm just using a 50% price increase instead of the body slot affinity rules.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
kinem said:
How are you doing? I know it takes a long time to stat up a high level character.

Jemal, I'm just using a 50% price increase instead of the body slot affinity rules.

I'm doing good, though one note - I changed the levels (Dropped Arcane Archer) b/c it made more sense for the character, and still fits the background. I figured I was only taking Arcane Archer for the Magic Arrows, and that didn't suit the character, so Kurina's just a Ranger/Horizon Walker now (Which is REALLY weird, I'm not used to only 2 classes)

As for the items, damn.. The reason I asked is becase Amulet of Health and Periapt of Wisdom both take up the neck slot, and we've got 260,000 GP less than I'm used to at this level, so I'm having to cut a bunch of corners.

EDIT : OK, She's posted in the rogue's gallery.. 95% done.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Speaking of items, what rules are you using for Wildshape? If I turn into a bear, can I keep...say...my amulet, since bears can wear amulets? Or does all my stuff get sucked up and turned off?

And if the second option is used, what do you think about the Wilding Clasp...an item that attaches to other items, and preserves whatever it's attached to through the change so that it keeps functioning.

Really, I just have one item I wanna preserve...partly for AC, and partly because it's a Wis booster.

kinem

Adventurer
Given the low wealth I set, I think I will end up giving 1 additional item or item upgrade to each PC. You will get this after your build is complete, so it's not just extra wealth. Its gp value will vary so PCs will end up with different wealth totals this way but let's face it, there's already a huge power gap between casters and non-casters, so it's not exactly spoiling a perfect balance.

Wild shape normally inactivates items worn. In the case of 'Grandfather' I will basically let a 'wilding clasp' be his bonus item. You can not normally get such an item IMC.

Shayuri

First Post
*bows*

Thank you, sir. In fact, I would simply make that a property of the "Gaia's Tear" item, with your approval. That way it can't be attached to just any item, but only to that one. It suits the unique form and function of the item perfectly.

kinem

Adventurer
Shay: OK.

Ygg: Zach's bonus will be that his chain shirt allows him to use Greater Invisibility (CL 12) as a spell-like ability 2/day.

Remove ads