Polearm Champion fighter 3 remaining ASI?

CTurbo

Explorer
Every Fighter should pick up Ritual Caster at some point to have fun things to do outside of combat. Magic Initiate is good too.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Ditch Resilent (DEX) for Resilient (WIS). Dex sabves are just damage, and you've got HPs. WIS turns you against your party or locks you down.

Which then means you could use one of those remaining ASI to boost back up your DEX if you're that worried about Init and saves. And your WIS if it's now odd, or just DEX with a different half-feat.

Lucky will save your posterior. Use it to turn a foe's crit into a reroll, or if you fail your save vs. a save-or-suck spell. Life-or-death ability checks are rarer but they do come up occasionally. The weakest would be rerolling an attack, but hey, sometimes with a foe right next to death that's the thing to do.

Great Weapon Mastery is applicable with any use of PAM except the quarterstaff, which I doubt you're using. You've got a good synergy with your expanded crit range since those will grant you a bonus action attack. The -5/+10 depends on other factors but can be quite telling.

Avoid Heavy Armor Mastery. When single attacks do 20-30 points of damage, it's not a big enough savings. It's much better at lower levels.

Mage Slayer can be fun at the high levels when there are lots of caters, but your reach actually harms your use of it. Foes would be able to move from adjacent to 10ft away without triggering an Opportunity Attack and then cast.

Sentinel is a lot of fun with reach weapons.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Avoid Heavy Armor Mastery. When single attacks do 20-30 points of damage, it's not a big enough savings. It's much better at lower levels.

Which single attacks would those be?

Even Ancient Red Dragons, at CR 24, only deal 35 damage with it's bite attack. That's still more than 1/12 off.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Every Fighter should pick up Ritual Caster at some point to have fun things to do outside of combat. Magic Initiate is good too.

While Ritual Caster is an excellent Feat, it is not necessary to have fun things to do outside of combat.

My current Barbarian when presented with a scenario by the DM stated his goal and approach, and sure enough had to roll Ability checks. Without Proficiency in Stealth and Survival he would not have succeeded in those checks.

So I would say pick up Ritual Caster at some point to have more fun things to do outside of combat.

Ditch Resilent (DEX) for Resilient (WIS). Dex sabves are just damage, and you've got HPs. WIS turns you against your party or locks you down.

Oh yeah last night my Barbarian and our Fighter had to make a Wis saving throw. The Fighter failed and was stunned. being stunned sucks. I was sure glad I took Resilient (Wis) on my Barbarian at level one.

GWM or any other offense oriented feat is useless if you are taken right out of the fight.

WilliamCQ

Explorer
Ditch Resilent (DEX) for Resilient (WIS).
The feat was already pick, hence why I mentioned it in the OP; otherwise I would have mentioned something like: I'm thinking of getting Resilient Dex.

Mage Slayer can be fun at the high levels when there are lots of caters, but your reach actually harms your use of it. Foes would be able to move from adjacent to 10ft away without triggering an Opportunity Attack and then cast.
I've been thinking about that feat since soon after my 2nd post (in this thread). Even though PAM is that PC main thing, nothing prevent me from picking a 5' reach weapon (especially 2-handed).

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I've been thinking about that feat since soon after my 2nd post (in this thread). Even though PAM is that PC main thing, nothing prevent me from picking a 5' reach weapon (especially 2-handed).

Nothing's stopping you from simply using an Unarmed Strike, either.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
The feat was already pick, hence why I mentioned it in the OP; otherwise I would have mentioned something like: I'm thinking of getting Resilient Dex.

If you already have Resilient (Wis) you cannot take Resilient (Dex). You cannot take the same feat (Resilient) twice unless it's specified in the feat text, which Resilient does not.

WilliamCQ

Explorer
If you already have Resilient (Wis) you cannot take Resilient (Dex). You cannot take the same feat (Resilient) twice unless it's specified in the feat text, which Resilient does not.
I thought I was clear in my last post if you also read the quote just before. You can reread the OP 2nd sentence while keeping in mind these are picks,--not--considerations; to be extra clear it was picked when I wrote that sentence. I will not address this issue again.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I thought I was clear in my last post if you also read the quote just before. You can reread the OP 2nd sentence while keeping in mind these are picks,--not--considerations; to be extra clear it was picked when I wrote that sentence. I will not address this issue again.

Ah, I was not getting your meaning.

When your wrote "The feat was already pick" I thought you meant Resilient (Wis) not Resilient (Dex).

Remove ads