TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
If the players aren't concerned about power gaming, wish only to create "stories," why should they worry/express concern about level limits

Novertheless, what I said about level limits for demi-human PCs is logical in the fantasy cosmos the AD&D game subsumes. without such limits, using actual human history, myth, and legend becomes problematical.

Cheerio,
Gary

Good points here, Gary. I prefer level limits for demi-humans, and use either the PHB version or, depending on campaign and players, raise level limits for single-classed demi-humans by 2 but keep the multi-class level limits as is in the PHB. I can't recall when I came up with this rule, but I recently reread UA (which is where I originally though it was from) but the level limits there seem somewhat different (especially with all of the subraces added in). I think it was from a Dragon article you penned at some point, shortly before UA came out. You have any recollection of such an article by any chance?

Anyway, as you said above, with no level limits demi-human races based on human mythology goes the way of the Dodo, to say nothing of fantasy literature models. I can't remember off hand any author who has demi-humans in control of their fantasy world settings. Even JRRT, whose elves were fascinatingly powerful in the early ages of Middle Earth, eventually gave way to the world of men. As an aside, I think many (the majority?) of D&D players think of JRRT when they think of elves. After reading Three Hearts and Three Lions and seeing the presentation of elves, dwarves and trolls that Poul Anderson has I think I have a better understanding of what you had in mind for D&D races (at least to some extent). Any other literary works influence you in this area? (And am I even right about it in the fiorst place?)

Gray Mouser

Sanguinemetaldawn

First Post
Colonel,

You have written/designed some of my all time favorite scenarios (the GDQ series, Necropolis, etc), and I look forward to Hall of Many Panes, and Castle Zagyg/Yggsburg.

Aside from your own, what scenarios and scenarists do you like best (for any system)?

I guess I am looking for a list of recommendations similar to the recommended reading list in the DMG.

Thanks.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Good points here, Gary. I prefer level limits for demi-humans, and use either the PHB version or, depending on campaign and players, raise level limits for single-classed demi-humans by 2 but keep the multi-class level limits as is in the PHB. I can't recall when I came up with this rule, but I recently reread UA (which is where I originally though it was from) but the level limits there seem somewhat different (especially with all of the subraces added in). I think it was from a Dragon article you penned at some point, shortly before UA came out. You have any recollection of such an article by any chance?
Actually, I don't recall, but your idea of raising the level limit by two for a single-classed eemi-himan character is reasonable, and upping it by another step would be acceptable is the character had exceptional stats.

Anyway, as you said above, with no level limits demi-human races based on human mythology goes the way of the Dodo, to say nothing of fantasy literature models. I can't remember off hand any author who has demi-humans in control of their fantasy world settings. Even JRRT, whose elves were fascinatingly powerful in the early ages of Middle Earth, eventually gave way to the world of men. As an aside, I think many (the majority?) of D&D players think of JRRT when they think of elves. After reading Three Hearts and Three Lions and seeing the presentation of elves, dwarves and trolls that Poul Anderson has I think I have a better understanding of what you had in mind for D&D races (at least to some extent). Any other literary works influence you in this area? (And am I even right about it in the fiorst place?)

Gray Mouser

Indeed, I do not believe that having unlimited levels for demi-humans can support a humanocentric campaign. without humanocentrism, there are no sources availabel to the GM to create his world setting.

As for the depiction of elves, I am not one who looks to Tolkien. D&D elves are not super beings, not taller or generally more powerful than humans. I used myth, legend, folklore, fairy tales, and authored fantasy such as Poul Anderson's works for inspiration in regards the paramaters of elves. Of course, the varieties develped do reflect the Professor's work. after all, I desired to have the game to appeal to his fans.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sanguinemetaldawn said:
Colonel,

You have written/designed some of my all time favorite scenarios (the GDQ series, Necropolis, etc), and I look forward to Hall of Many Panes, and Castle Zagyg/Yggsburg.

Aside from your own, what scenarios and scenarists do you like best (for any system)?

I guess I am looking for a list of recommendations similar to the recommended reading list in the DMG.

Thanks.

As much as i would like to accommodate your request, it isn't possible. why? Because being that I create so much I am usually busy devising aterial for my own adventures rather than playing modules written by others.

For a one-off I always liked the "generic" The Abduction of Good King Desot." the old TSR series that begins with a scenario where the PCs wake up nude in an underground cavern is one that I enjoyed playing. Sadly, i have forgotten the name after some 25 years. I think the initial module was The Slave Pits of [something or other]. Also fun are the "generic" A Challenge of Arm's, Ritual of the Golden Eyes, and the upcoming Castle Wolfmoon.

For the Lejendary Adventure game my favorite introductory module is Jon Creffield's truly excellent Lejendary Road.

That's about the best I can supply.

Cheers,
Gary

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Col_Pladoh said:
For a one-off I always liked the "generic" The Abduction of Good King Desot." the old TSR series that begins with a scenario where the PCs wake up nude in an underground cavern is one that I enjoyed playing. Sadly, i have forgotten the name after some 25 years. I think the initial module was The Slave Pits of [something or other]. Also fun are the "generic" A Challenge of Arm's, Ritual of the Golden Eyes, and the upcoming Castle Wolfmoon.

Cheers,
Gary

Think it was A1, Slave Pits of the Undercity if i recall correctly. First module I ever bought. It brought me out of the grid paper dungeons that I drew for my players and opened my DM eyes quite a bit.

Maybe I'll dig it out and convert it to C&C.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Indeed, I do not believe that having unlimited levels for demi-humans can support a humanocentric campaign. without humanocentrism, there are no sources availabel to the GM to create his world setting.

Cheers,
Gary

I disagree. I think that 3rd Edition (however you feel about it) did an excellent job of making humans in to a dominant species without limiting advancement, by giving them distinct advantages in the form of greater flexibility and ambition. Castles and Crusades does a similar thing by granting them an all-important extra Prime.

I will firmly put forth my opinion that level limits for demi-humans are not necessary to support a humanocentric campaign.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Gary might be thinking of "In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords" by Laurence Schick. (module A4) in reference to the party of "buff" adventurers. :)

tenkar

Old School Blogger
You are probably right Henry. I would have to dig through boxes to pull these out. Getting real tempting these days tho.

dcas

First Post
Gary,

Do you think it is possible to put the Keep on the Borderlands and the Caves of Chaos on the Yggsburgh wilderness map? Where do you think might be a good location for it? At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, KOTB is my favorite adventure, whether playing or GMing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads