TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
derverdammte said:

Ah, okay. I was thinking in terms of his being champion of the balance, and at some point (so I've been told) acquiring a black sword, since those are a couple of the archetypal components of being the eternal champion.

Michael did pretty well establish the "Eternal Champion" in that model, but the concept of the magic sword predates Elric by a few centuries, eh? ;)

The cosmology of Oerth has nine alignments as well, not the three that Moorcock set--and more or less like that of the original D&D too...

I'm not sire that the eternal champion is actually an archetype, but it is an iinteresting concept for sure, a sort of superarchetype in the mold of the mythological demigods.

By the way, didn't you write a Moorcock pastiche at some point? I heard about it, but I never found out where it was published or collected.

Yes, I wrote a tale in which Gord and Moorcock's Simon teamed up to bring disaster to some contemporary demon worshippers. It was in a paparback anthology titles THE ETERNAL CHAMPION, as I recall.

SIX books? Yikes! The other three must come after the book I have ("Dance of Demons," I think it's called).

That sounds seriously cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

In order of reading the titles are:
SAGA OF OLD CITY
ARTIFACT OF EVIL
CITY OF HAWKS
NIGHT ARRANT
SEA OF DEATH
DANCE OF DEMONS
COME ENDLESS DARKNESS

The artwork I have so far seen is really teriffic, and I am very anxious to have a look at the work when it begins publication. It will be like rading someone else's yarns, which from my standpoint is great:D

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Happy to have you join the thread.

Remathilis said:
Hi, I just joined no to long ago (having been a poster at WotC's boards) but wanted to get a few questions answered. :)

1.) What was up with the Unearthed Arcana Cavalier class? Negative XP? Stat Increases? Why?

As is said by attornies, the dicument says what it says... Seriously, the class was "right" for the OAD&D game as I envisioned it, and once one got a cavalier class PC, they were very capable in adventuring. This is not to say that some change was not needed, but only some fair period of playing time could determine that. UA was published about a year before I was planned, as TSR was in financial trouble and needed a "seller".

2.) What is your favorite D&D monster, either to throw at PCs or in general?

Ah, that's impossible for me to answer. Circumstances alter cases. I can wreak havoc with kobolds if the PC party is of low level. Terry Kuntz's beholder is always a fun critter to bring into play. A black pudding in the right place or a small dragon can work wonders in discomfiting the plans of a PC party. Then again a trecherous NPC tends to be amusing... :eek:

Not always using a set of stock monsters is a key to interesting and exciting adventures for sure.

3.) Have you seen any of the "Return to" series of modules from 1999 (I think)? What was your opinion of the re-makes of the Temple of Elemental Evil, Tomb of Horrors, Keep on the Borderland, and Against the Giants?

Other than the RttToH which I read in ms. form and then wrote a forward to, no. I have run a LEJENDARY ADVENTURE game campaign for about seven years now, so most of my GMing has been in that system--or in original D&D or AD&D at cons and for special occassions. There is little time from work for me to play, or even read other RPG material, save when needed for work. As I've said frequently, when I retire I plan to spend some 40 hours a week playing games, not writing them:D

4.) Lastly, (and forgive me if you've answered this) if there is one rule/concept you would change in AD&D 1st edition after the fact, what would it be?

Thanks,

Remathilis

Yes! First, I'd remove the psionics material, possibly adding it back in later on, having been able to spend more time and being very careful to see that it meshed better with the magic system in the game.

Next, I'd drop the weapon speed and weapon vs. armor material, as those are seldom used and generally slow and complicate play. Those considerations could be picked up in a special "duelling" supplement or the like.

BTW, when I am DMing AD&D, I tend to ignore rules that get in the wat of the flow of the game. When I have said so before an audience, there have always been some audience members who expressed shock, not to say horror and disbelief. I aon't a rules lawyer, and I believe my own advice--ignore and change as the DM sees fit to make the players' involvement intense and the game be a compelling experience ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Cheerio,
Gary

diaglo

Adventurer
A simple plea: :D

do you ever plan to attend DragonCon in Atlanta?

and if you do, could you run a session of Original D&D for some of us die-hards?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
diaglo said:
A simple plea: :D

do you ever plan to attend DragonCon in Atlanta?

and if you do, could you run a session of Original D&D for some of us die-hards?

Haven't been to a DragonCon in years, and they are good shows too....

I will be at CoastCon in Biloxi this March. Chris Clark and I are heading down there as guests. If you can make it there I'd be happy to haul along my AD&D materials, run an adventure ofr six or eight players ;)

Cheerio,
Gary

Breakdaddy

First Post
Hi Gary!

I've heard the game Hackmaster likened to the original AD&D in terms of grit and feel. As a player of the original AD&D I would love to recapture the wonder of playing the original AD&D, but with no new supplements and little time for conversion, I was wondering if you've any insight as to whether the Hackmaster game truly delivers some semblance of the original "feel" of AD&D?

diaglo

Adventurer
Breakdaddy said:
Hi Gary!

I've heard the game Hackmaster likened to the original AD&D in terms of grit and feel. As a player of the original AD&D I would love to recapture the wonder of playing the original AD&D, but with no new supplements and little time for conversion, I was wondering if you've any insight as to whether the Hackmaster game truly delivers some semblance of the original "feel" of AD&D?

KenzerCo purchased the rights to 1ed and 2ed Adnd so they could produce Hackmaster.

try their website at www.kenzerco.com

Although it is a parody, Gary Jackson did a wonderful job maintaining the "feel". It is a very playable system.

diaglo

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
I will be at CoastCon in Biloxi this March. Chris Clark and I are heading down there as guests. If you can make it there I'd be happy to haul along my AD&D materials, run an adventure ofr six or eight players ;)

Cheerio,
Gary

thanks. don't worry about hauling your stuff down. i have a few too many copies of my own i can bring. i'll see if i can get my group to make the roadtrip.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Breakdaddy said:
Hi Gary!

What diaglo says above in response to your query is on target. HACKMASTER is different from OAD&D but close--some new material and all that you can easilt manage or ignore.

Ciao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
diaglo said:

thanks. don't worry about hauling your stuff down. i have a few too many copies of my own i can bring. i'll see if i can get my group to make the roadtrip.

Okay, and drop me an email if you do plan to come. I'll need adventure material for AD&D, of course--outdor action or dungeon crawl?

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads