TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

palleomortis

First Post
Hey, I got a question for ya'. What do you kids think of D&D? Do they play it as much as some of the wackos on here (sorry wack-os), or do they just see it as another game to play from time to time?(My dad raised me on it, so I love the game quite a lot)

Ok, sorry, forgot to ask the question that I logged on for in the first place. Why is it that it cost xp for you to creat an item? (or was it not like this in the start?)

Last edited:

palleomortis

First Post
HEY, I WAS POSTER NUMBER 300!!!! WOOOHOOOOOO!!! Sorry, I just thought it was cuase for celebration. Should I put the champaign away?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Tuzenbach said:
:eek: Erm.......did Gary Gygax just use the word "ejaculations"????? :confused:

http://www.m-w.com/

Main Entry: ejac·u·la·tion
Pronunciation: i-"ja-ky&-'lA-sh&n
Function: noun
1 : <edited because grandma noah has been abused too much lately> ;)
2 : something ejaculated; especially : a short sudden emotional utterance

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
palleomortis said:
Hey, I got a question for ya'. What do you kids think of D&D? Do they play it as much as some of the wackos on here (sorry wack-os), or do they just see it as another game to play from time to time?(My dad raised me on it, so I love the game quite a lot)
Be Polite to all of Us Fanatics...

As for my children playing, is gin & tonic refreshing?

The first two play-testers for the first draft of the D&D game back in 1972 were my two eldest children, Ernie and Elise. Eventually all of the others playes--Heidi, Cindy, Luke, and Alex. These days, none of the girls play, and the two older boys are unable to get in much RPG activity beacuse of their work, although Ernie and Luke wrote the D20 module The Lost City of Gaxmoor. Alex, the youngest of the lot is an inveterate player of RPGs and computer attempts at RPGs :mad:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
palleomortis said:
Sounds like the life!! So what about the xp and the item creations thing?
Okay,

As for creating items, that was basically what retired PCs of magical persuation were allowed to do in my campaign. I left that to other DMs to decide for themselves, but the clear message is that such things should be discovered by adventues and quests, not created in the magical lab. Never could much in the way of magical gear be found for purchase either--maybe +1 arrows or a few healing potions if I were in a most generous mood.

XPs were not considered for item creation in the original game.

Cheerio,
Gary

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
it sure was easier on the DM that way, but it's a lot of fun for the PC to be able to do this on his downtime. ;)

IIRC, 2E had "rules" (more like suggestions) on how to make non-artifact magic items, but everything was such a challenge that it was just about not worth the effort. ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
it sure was easier on the DM that way, but it's a lot of fun for the PC to be able to do this on his downtime. ;)

IIRC, 2E had "rules" (more like suggestions) on how to make non-artifact magic items, but everything was such a challenge that it was just about not worth the effort. ;)
Pfui!

If t palyer can't find something more adventurous for his mage PC to do during downtime that making potent magic utems, let that character take up knitting and tatting. My m-us were always bust re-charging wands and the like until essentially retired. then they made magic items--usually by cmbining two or more existing ones gained honorably in questing :mad:

Heh,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
What's the point of creating a slew of magic items in order to go on a quest in order to find magic items????

I can see scribing a scroll or two or brewing a potion before an unusually tough adventure, but come on people!

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
What's the point of creating a slew of magic items in order to go on a quest in order to find magic items????

I can see scribing a scroll or two or brewing a potion before an unusually tough adventure, but come on people!

Gray Mouser
Nota Bene:

Gray Mouser gains the Zagyg Seal of Approvel for his observation ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads