TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ZuulMoG said:
Tsk, tsk, Mr. Gygax,
Do you have any idea how much trouble your game got me into as a kid? My parents are devout Witnesses, and it was an uphill battle to get to play. Besides the whole '25 years of entertainment, lifetimes in alternate realities, and the accolades of mythic populations', I'd like to thank you for my mind. Playing every version of D&D from Basic to AD&D has not only kept my math skills up to date (Alas for ThAC0, it kept the riff-raff out of our game!!), it also kept me reading.

When kids can be using drugs, having sex with each other, or actually killing each other with real weapons, the idea that parents can object to a group of their children sitting peacefully at a table reading and doing math is...well, it's infuriating, that's what it is. I'd like to thank you for providing an educational form of entertainment to millions of kids (and adults, we never stop learning!).

That said, I can't really think of a question... Sorry to spam the thread.
My former wife was a JW, as was I for a time, so I can relate to your difficulties :uhoh:

Thanks for the good words about the side benefits of playing the games. Their primary purpose is fun and entertainment, but there are many other beneficial aspects to them, indeed!

Interesting and useful comments are by no means spamming ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
Well in that regard. Kingdom of Heaven was well worth seeing more than once. Certainly, when finances permit, it will become part of my video collection.

Ah, but Peter...

I know that you are a liberal, so I must chalk up your being enamored of the film in question to that sorry state :]

Heh,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Ah, but Peter...

I know that you are a liberal, so I must chalk up your being enamored of the film in question to that sorry state :]

Heh,
Gary

*chuckles* I am? News to me. I just like a good punch up film. That one and Troy and others like it are good punch up films. ;)

Btw. Aren't you supposed to be working on Zagyg II? Get to work! :D

Barak

First Post
Tsk Tsk, Mr Gygax, sticking labels such as "liberal" in an international forum such as this! Would elves consider american "liberals" to be such? I myself was a moderate back in canada, and then I moved to the states.. Oh but this is getting too political for this board.

Frankenstein (staring De Niro)is still one of the best movies I ever saw in theater, although it has little to do with what was on t5he screen and a lot to do with the antics of the two ladies seatred before me. Yes, I'm easily entertained.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
*chuckles* I am? News to me. I just like a good punch up film. That one and Troy and others like it are good punch up films. ;)
You are on my Talk list so I know full well :p

Btw. Aren't you supposed to be working on Zagyg II? Get to work! :D
All work, or any work, and no play makes jack. I am not seeking riches :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Barak said:
Tsk Tsk, Mr Gygax, sticking labels such as "liberal" in an international forum such as this! Would elves consider american "liberals" to be such? I myself was a moderate back in canada, and then I moved to the states.. Oh but this is getting too political for this board.

Frankenstein (staring De Niro)is still one of the best movies I ever saw in theater, although it has little to do with what was on t5he screen and a lot to do with the antics of the two ladies seatred before me. Yes, I'm easily entertained.
So, you are from the Great White North, ay.

That covers it sufficiently :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
You are on my Talk list so I know full well :p

Ah well. I must have been inspired by those crazy liberal minded sorts that went against their times and created this wonderous world of rpg's and such then? Glad I am in such great company. :D

All work, or any work, and no play makes jack. I am not seeking riches :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

I can go along with that whole statement 100%. Course, work and play are the same to me simply because I enjoy drawing the pictures for your work and more. :)

gideon_thorne

First Post
Barak said:

Dont mind Gary. He and I are just teasing one another. He's a cool dude. :cool: :D

Barak

First Post
And here I was thinking Gary was a stick-in-the-mud. Curses you Gideon, for shattering my illusions!

Actually, he gave me an invitation to go to his house, so I gather he's alright.

And I'm from the great North-East (Québec), which is worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads